Matt Patricia to call defensive plays vs Seahawks

Welshers2

Reaction score
Interesting. Eagles changing it up for our game by switching defensive play calling duties from Desai to Matt Patricia. Could be something to watch because we may see some stuff we wernt prepared for

cymatica

Reaction score
This makes me think they win. Patricia's only win against Pete depended on the worst call in SB history.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Cracks me up…The story lines all day today about the game…

HURTS DOWNGRADED TO QUESTIONABLE DUE TO ILLNESS

PATRICIA TO STEP IN AND CALL DEFENSE

Oh noooo!! What are we poor wittle fans to do?!

If either of these “story lines” are supposed to be thought provoking or make you adjust the way you felt before those “headlines” today then all I can say is…

FAIL

Neither moves the needle for me. We are not winning or losing this game because Hurts is going to play even if he has the sniffles nor if that pencil-wielding hack Patricia calls the defense.

Want to move my needle? Tell me half the team got a vicious stomach bug from some bad tacos and are doubtful.

knownone

Reaction score
Sean Desai was supposedly a young defensive genius two years ago. What happened? Have offenses figured out Fangio's scheme, or was this guy just never good?

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
Cracks me up…The story lines all day today about the game…

HURTS DOWNGRADED TO QUESTIONABLE DUE TO ILLNESS

PATRICIA TO STEP IN AND CALL DEFENSE

Oh noooo!! What are we poor wittle fans to do?!

If either of these “story lines” are supposed to be thought provoking or make you adjust the way you felt before those “headlines” today then all I can say is…

FAIL

Neither moves the needle for me. We are not winning or losing this game because Hurts is going to play even if he has the sniffles nor if that pencil-wielding hack Patricia calls the defense.

Want to move my needle? Tell me half the team got a vicious stomach bug from some bad tacos and are doubtful.
I respectfully disagree and I'm really not sure what's wrong with discussing the circumstancess surrounding the game. I don't think it's a huge deal, but I think it's absolutely something to note. When an opponent is making a significant change from the way their team has operated all year the Seahawks would be amiss not to note it.

Would you rather the media just not report on these things at all? Should fans just go into these games in a bubble with zero knowledge of influencing factors? Now you're talking about our entire relationship with sports as a whole.

The Hurts one in particular is a huge deal. For you to say we aren't winning or losing because one of the most valuable players in the NFL might not play is, in my opinion, way off base. It very well could have a big impact on this game.

I really wasn't getting the "what are we as poor fans supposed to do" vibe from anyone. Just people talking about the upcoming Seahawks game on a Seahawks discussion board.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the tenor of my post but that's okay. I was being a smartass aiming my bullseye at the media in general, not you for posting about Patricia.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sean Desai was supposedly a young defensive genius two years ago. What happened? Have offenses figured out Fangio's scheme, or was this guy just never good?

Desai's an egghead analytics nerd that has never been good at connecting with players. It's why as much as people declare him a genius, he's bounced around so much.

Guys in Philly also say his defensive schemes were overly complicated, and the Eagles were having the same "communication" issues we've been hearing here.

So voila, Neanderthal Belichick flunkie Patricia to dumb down everything.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Patricia is an idiot. Nobody likes him, not even Belicheat.

How desperate were the Eagles to hire Desai and Patricia? I thought their defense was pretty good last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
How desperate were the Eagles to hire Desai and Patricia? I thought their defense was pretty good last year.

Idk bout desperate, but it's extremely difficult to replace both your successful SB caliber coordinators in one off season. Eagles lost both Gannon and Steiken (sp?) last off season.

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the tenor of my post but that's okay. I was being a smartass aiming my bullseye at the media in general, not you for posting about Patricia.
Got it, my bad. Although I do think it's worth noting by the media. Just the fact behind it, not necessarily all the narratives they create which I think is what you were getting at. I agree with that. I'm tired of "hot takes" in general

LastRideOut

Reaction score
If Patricia is calling the plays today for the Eagles D, I expect a long of long developing plays from the Seahawks because Patricia, being defensive minded, plays the quick game.

907 MILITIA

Reaction score
Yes
we are from the same Fangio lineage and it’s a total failure 🤦‍♂️

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is bad for us. Desai had that unit 25th in points allowed with the most insane DL. Patricia, at the very least, is highly multiple in nature on the DL. That alone will help the Eagles.

I'd look to have them in 3-4 all game with Carter, Davis, Cox in the middle and Sweat/Reddick on the edges. Taking advantage of all of that versatile talent, getting out of that lighter front, hurting our rushing attack (predicated heavily on IZ, IIRC) and trying to make either Lock or a seriously ailing Geno explicitly beat them through the air.

Bad week for this change to come up. Patricia, overall, is kind of a joke. But I think this bodes very negatively for our matchup.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Fangio's scheme is terrible unless you have him running it. It's failed almost everywhere people have tried as far as I'm aware. Topbillin(who I can't stand) did a recent video on it saying Pete/Seahawks, Eagles got duped by it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fangio's scheme is terrible unless you have him running it. It's failed almost everywhere people have tried as far as I'm aware. Topbillin(who I can't stand) did a recent video on it saying Pete/Seahawks, Eagles got duped by it.
Gannon kind of ran it but, go figure, Fangio was consulting in Philly last year (and would've taken their DC role, but Gannon lied about coming back to Philly so Fangio took the Dolphins role instead because he thought Philly wasnt available.)

I hate guys who don't have a real bag of tricks on defense. For all Pete's warts, he has at least ran 3-4, 4-3, and a bunch of other stuff to success over the years. I value that kind of background a ton. Desai may be a smart dude, but he's totally one-trick to my amateur analysis.

Fangio based guys can probably succeed just fine if they have the ability to actually expand and revert tenets of his defensive scheme... like Fangio himself does.

Part of why Chris Shula of the Rams interests me so much. He's been exposed to a bunch of different defensive schools, obviously was raised in the game as well. He's gonna be a stud, I bet.

Polk738

Reaction score
Desai's an egghead analytics nerd that has never been good at connecting with players. It's why as much as people declare him a genius, he's bounced around so much.

Guys in Philly also say his defensive schemes were overly complicated, and the Eagles were having the same "communication" issues we've been hearing here.

So voila, Neanderthal Belichick flunkie Patricia to dumb down everything.

A trend all too common with this defense as of late, the thing with Fangios split safety scheme is it is VERY complicated to run but it's also meant to be disguised as well (something the Seahawks don't really do) on top of bring pressure from everywhere, which we also haven't done since like the Giants game.