Match-Ups to watch this week...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Anyone know about Stanton's arm strength? You really got to have some zip (or be a very, very savvy vet) to get one on the Hawks secondary.

Good thread going.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3p60dti4 said:
Anyone know about Stanton's arm strength? You really got to have some zip (or be a very, very savvy vet) to get one on the Hawks secondary.

Good thread going.
He hasn't lacked on some of his deep throws to Brown.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3q3av83k said:
pehawk":3q3av83k said:

Good thread going.
He hasn't lacked on some of his deep throws to Brown.

I'm not worried about those, actually. That's what Earl does best. What I'm worried about are the long outs, or throws like Kap to Boldin (?) in back of endzone in NFCC. Despite their struggles, Seahawks defense still requires opponent QB's to have rifle arms.

Largent80

Reaction score
Beckham torched the former L.O.B. (which certainly benefited from the pass rush of 2013)

I still think Sherman has been our best defender though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
John Brown against Lane/Burley/Max terrifies me. He's T.Y. Hilton 2.0 and we know how our secondary tends to struggle vs. those small speedy WR's.

Really think the game could come down to us preventing the Cardinals from hitting one of those deep throws to Brown. They take their shots at him deep a few times every game.

(Also as an aside.. Arians uses Brown the way I wish Bevell would use Richardson)

ringless

Reaction score
Stanton has more velocity and zip than Palmer, but the accuracy and decisions are worse... It's pretty well known I don't believe in a Stanton lead team until proven otherwise... I would say he is like a Kaepernick in that sense without the running ability, and only able to make one read. Stanton will scramble but he doesnt leave the pocket like Kaep does. He will stand in their and take the hit and try to deliver the ball. He doesnt have that athletisicm

I actually saw this posted on NFL.COM that the Cardinals lead the league in drops this year at 9.6% and I believe it. A lot of those would have been big plays. I think if we had a 5% drop rate a lot of games wouldn't have been even close.

Brown is an exceptional W/R, especially for a rookie. He might even be our best route runner thus far. Floyd is our other deep threat but in a different sense. He is the kind of receiver you throw it to and expect him to come down with the ball. But in regards to Brown his hips are fluid, and he I believe was the 2nd or third fastest in the draft this year. He often will do a go route or a post with a double move to get past the defender or catch him flat footed. Or they will get him involved in the occasional screen play.

Flloyd is more often than not used in the corner routes, and inside slants, while Fitz has been playing from the slot. Although I dont see anyway Fitz plays this week. Which means Jaron Brown would take his place not to be confused with John Brown. It seems Arians really tries to create a lot of space, to give the players an opportunity to make a play. One thing I think that goes unnoticed is Fitz and Floyd are tremendous blockers, and they create a lot of our big chunk plays with their blocks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":3k646lc2 said:
What you got as an intriguing matchup?

Simple for me..............our passing offense vs. Cards press cover D.

This is why we lost last year, despite picking Palmer off four times. The Cards do what we did successfully all of last year, press cover and bully teams in the box.........and they're going to do the same thing and make Russell and our receivers to make big plays.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Intriguing matchups for me:

Ellington vs. Wagner. Our run D got gashed last week, but it was all Off Tackle or Charles bouncing outside, which he likes to do. Ellington also likes to bounce it outside, and our LBers had terrible run fits and took bad angles last week, and also had trouble getting to the corner before Charles did. If Wagner can get guys aligned better, take better lanes, and use his speed to get to the outside, we're in good shape.

Bowles vs. Bevell. Bevell needs to figure out plays to get our players in favorable matchups (if that's possible this week). I don't like our WRs vs. their secondary, but I think we can gash them with RBs out of the backfield on check downs and wheel routes. I'd like to see Michael get a pass or two on a wheel route isolated on a LBer. We know what the Cards will do, and it isn't tricky, but it will be very effective unless we figure out counters.

Wilson vs. the Blitz. The Cards are one of the few teams that can corral Wilson. They love to blitz the A gaps, while using their DE's to hold outside position and keep contain. So, we're looking at 2 things: our Center's ability to recognize and set protections, and Wilson's ability to either avoid the rush, or find his hot receiver and open spots on the defense vacated by blitzers. I honestly think we can establish the run with a modicum of efficiency in the pass game, and beating the blitz it where it starts. If we manage to get some explosive plays, look out. It can get out of hand quick.

I'd like to see everyone play a smart game and avoid stupid penalties, especially the 15 yard variety. This is going to be a chippy game, and both teams have no love lost. If we do stupid things to help the Cards out, like getting dumb assed personal foul penalties, then we make it easier on them to score. We can't do that, as I don't see us having an easy time scoring on them.

Even with all our injuries, I think we have the more talented team. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to play up to that talent potential this year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bevell vs the Cards DC.
Which Bevell will show up? Ass clown Bevell who usually shows up and gets owned or the good Bevell that called a brilliant Super Bowl XLVIII?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3423d72j said:
Bevell vs the Cards DC.
Which Bevell will show up? Ass clown Bevell who usually shows up and gets owned or the good Bevell that called a brilliant Super Bowl XLVIII?

Yup, for sure, this is one of the top key matchups, if not the top.

Bevell has had several Percy-less weeks to observe, adjust, and prepare. He has an O-Line that's as healthy as it's been in a long time, if LJP at center is as on-it as Pete says. He even has a bit of a rotation, with Bailey and Carpenter. He has a big blocking fullback who mashes people. He has a hot running game and BeastMode. He has Richardson to stretch the Cards defense deep. He has the film and the learning from last year's home loss to the Cards, where they totally shut down our passing game.

Will we get the Bevell who masterminded the 2-TD comeback of rookie Russell Wilson against Tom Brady in 2012 with the big play to Sidney Rice? Or will we get the lame, predictable, ineffective, play-to-our-weaknesses Bevell we've seen so much of this year? The Bevell who got owned last year by the Cards defense, in spite of 4 extra possessions from opponent turnovers?

Even if Bevell does come in with a good scheme and game plan for the Cards, our players still have to execute. Choose your favorite player execution failure. It was painful to see Sweezy whiff on the next-to-last-play in KC for Russell to get sacked to set up a 4th and 19 instead of a 4th and-10. It was super-painful for Kearse to drop a TD pass.

Yeah, Bevell vs. Cards D. That's probably the #1 matchup for this game.

A

Anonymous

How about LT Jared Veldheer vs. Bruce Irvin?

It will be interesting to see how the left side penetration shapes up. This should be a gimme for Veldheer, but you never know. If we can get the left side to weaken here and there it'll force Stanton to throw before routes develop.

ringless

Reaction score
I doubt Sherman goes in at receiver like NFL.com said could happen. However, what a treat it would be to watch Sherman go up against Peterson!!! That in itself would be a once in a lifetime experience!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
John Brown has 5 touchdowns, 4 of which were the game winner.

Largent80

Reaction score
I am interested to see if we can actually stop red zone TD's like we did last year, this has really bitten us this year.