Mariners 2019 season

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3vpxfg91 said:
So impressed with the approaches at the plate. Collectively they’re working starting pitchers’ pitch counts up and going with the pitch to opposite field. They got a huge dose of breaking pitches and off the plate and they responded. Night and day between previous teams.

Marco just continues to deal-command and cutter are top notch. Another great outing for Brennan and Swarzak and Servais getting the 3 big guys all in the lineup again was great to see. Looking forward to the Stros and Indians coming to town starting Fri-Would love it if we take 4 of 6.
Actually, I remember some of the players doing this last year, especially early in the season. Frankly, it might have been part of the reason that some guys were let go. The whole league is pretty bop-happy and they lose sight of the fact that working the count can actually result in good results, like better pitches to hit. Sure, be aggressive at the plate, but be smart about it. Looks like we have a squad that has been paying attention and putting some patience at the plate to good effect.

Hell, look at Vogie. He has great power, but he's also taking walks because he's not swinging at many bad pitches.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1jol08rz said:
So... I know I should just shut it and enjoy this odd little anomaly, but...

...at what point do we start taking this thing seriously? After the series with the Astros?

Sometime in July I'd say

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Well if they can take four games between the upcoming series against Houston and Cleveland, then I will fully buy in. But like any Mariners season, you can't really take them seriously until July. Didn't they have like an 95% chance of making it last season? It did take an epic collapse by us and Oakland basically couldn't lose. Still don't expect us to make the playoffs, but until the wheels fall off I'll stay tuned in.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1uqd3dq6 said:
First time I’ve seen someone score from second on a sac fly. I know Mallex fell to a knee but only Billy Hamilton makes that play.

Marco has been impressive, very steady. Excited to see Swanson.
We used to score from 2nd often on a sac fly in beer league softball 8),but in the majors it’s rare.
I would like to see it more though.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Finding hits and getting big outs. The defense is trash though. Go M's!!!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Is Mallex Smith considered a bad fielder? He nearly cost us the game with that error. Got flashbacks of Fernando Rodney when Elías was closing out the game.

OP
OP
S

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2hovx2tv said:
Is Mallex Smith considered a bad fielder? He nearly cost us the game with that error. Got flashbacks of Fernando Rodney when Elías was closing out the game.

Idk but mallex has a noodle arm.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Major pucker factor last night in the 9th. But, that's sports and what makes sports great.
They just continue to find way to win. Impressive.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Just heard on the radio they are seriously still doing king's court this year... good lord just let it die, imagine if his last start had been a home game.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2awojvpq said:
Just heard on the radio they are seriously still doing king's court this year... good lord just let it die, imagine if his last start had been a home game.

Why does it matter?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1owqk3n4 said:
therealjohncarlson":1owqk3n4 said:

Why does it matter?

To me it's kind of depressing to have this section for a once dominant pitcher who can't do most things like he used to. He is now the fifth starter and doesn't have any of the stuff that once made him special and it's pretty ironic to call it the "king's court now" .. like a constant reminder of "what was"

But anyway, just one man's opinion.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Damn 10 am pacific game start. Gets you coming out flat in every sport. Awfully tough to beat any team 4 in a row too. Maybe they can chip away but if not great road trip though and huge 6 game homestand coming up tomorrow.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Likely only their 3rd loss of the year? I'll allow it :irishdrinkers:
That being said, a lot of ball left in the one, the way we score runs, not out of it at all.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1clms6kv said:
Uncle Si":1clms6kv said:
therealjohncarlson":1clms6kv said:

Why does it matter?

To me it's kind of depressing to have this section for a once dominant pitcher who can't do most things like he used to. He is now the fifth starter and doesn't have any of the stuff that once made him special and it's pretty ironic to call it the "king's court now" .. like a constant reminder of "what was"

But anyway, just one man's opinion.

I get it. I just dont look at it with so much pessimism. Its not hurting anything. Certainly the last year too

Felix is such a curious figure to me.

sutz

Reaction score
And Dee Gordon keeps the home run streak alive. :laugh:

15 games with a HR to start the season. It's a record!

:irishdrinkers:

Latest posts