Marcus Martin.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Posted on FEB 20, 2014:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=90543&p=1277861&hilit=martin#p1277861

hawknation2014":zis7ite0 said:
I don't get Martin at all. He looks slow and weak to me. He had a terrible 2012 season at offensive guard, and one year later at center, and now he's suddenly a top center prospect? It doesn't add up.

Martin was arguably USC's worst offensive linemen in 2012. He was benched twice: once against ASU in favor of a walk-on named Abe Markowitz and then in their bowl game in favor of a true freshman named Max Tuerk. Martin allowed multiple sacks in losses in the previous two games, which led to being replaced with less experienced players. Tuerk was named All-Conference Honorable Mention, while Martin received no honors from the conference that year.

His play improved enough in 2013 to earn All-Conference Honors, but he was far from the best center in the Pac-12. That honor should go to Oregon's Hronis Grassu, who is a much better athlete.

This is just an incredibly weak year for center prospects. Martin has a terrible year playing guard on his resume, and a medicare year as a center. He has no power and is very slow out of his stance. I think this is another one of those times where draftniks will overrate the fact that a center is big with long arms. Does he have legitimate power? No. Most of his weight is "bad weight." Does he have ideal quickness for the center position? Absolutely not.

I wouldn't even think about considering him until the end of the fifth round.

Posted on MAY 05, 2014:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=92608&p=1336322&hilit=martin#p1336322

Unfortunately, our scouts aren't allowed to comment on such things for obvious reasons. I agree with this assessment of Martin; would not touch him in the first three rounds. Slow, weak, and inconsistent. I don't think he's an NFL starter.

I have watched every game he's played in the last three years. I remember all the sacks and tackles for loss Martin allowed this year. I watched him get benched after giving up two sacks against Stanford in 2012, and then he got benched again in the Sun Bowl after allowing two sacks against Notre Dame. On top of that, he has knee problems. He's not an NFL player.

It's a late pre-draft smokescreen. Martin will be there at No. 64, but the Seahawks won't consider taking him.

Here's what some scouts had to say about Martin:

"On tape he looked like he was a pudgy little rascal," one scout said. "He had a little bit of uneven in his play. I wondered about strength if he gets covered up with a nose. He was real competitive. You knew he was leading the pack. He was athletic enough with good strength, not great strength." Started 20 games at LG before moving to the pivot in 2013 and starting 13. "Better player than he is an athlete," another scout said. "He's not great at the second level. Kind of a Steady-Eddie, but effective." Longest arms (34) among centers. Wonderlic of 20. "Boy, I didn't like that guy at all," a third scout said. "I thought that guy was soft and non-physical. He's got a bad body."

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3k8l9j0g said:
Posted on FEB 20, 2014:

I don't get Martin at all. He looks slow and weak to me. He had a terrible 2012 season at offensive guard, and one year later at center, and now he's suddenly a top center prospect? It doesn't add up.

Martin was arguably USC's worst offensive linemen in 2012. He was benched twice: once against ASU in favor of a walk-on named Abe Markowitz and then in their bowl game in favor of a true freshman named Max Tuerk. Martin allowed multiple sacks in losses in the previous two games, which led to being replaced with less experienced players. Tuerk was named All-Conference Honorable Mention, while Martin received no honors from the conference that year.

His play improved enough in 2013 to earn All-Conference Honors, but he was far from the best center in the Pac-12. That honor should go to Oregon's Hronis Grassu, who is a much better athlete.

This is just an incredibly weak year for center prospects. Martin has a terrible year playing guard on his resume, and a medicare year as a center. He has no power and is very slow out of his stance. I think this is another one of those times where draftniks will overrate the fact that a center is big with long arms. Does he have legitimate power? No. Most of his weight is "bad weight." Does he have ideal quickness for the center position? Absolutely not.

Posted on MAY 05, 2014:

Unfortunately, our scouts aren't allowed to comment on such things for obvious reasons. I agree with this assessment of Martin; would not touch him in the first three rounds. Slow, weak, and inconsistent. I don't think he's an NFL starter.

I have watched every game he's played in the last three years. I remember all the sacks and tackles for loss Martin allowed this year. I watched him get benched after giving up two sacks against Stanford in 2012, and then he got benched again in the Sun Bowl after allowing two sacks against Notre Dame. On top of that, he has knee problems. He's not an NFL player.

It's a late pre-draft smokescreen. Martin will be there at No. 64, but the Seahawks won't consider taking him.

"On tape he looked like he was a pudgy little rascal," one scout said. "He had a little bit of uneven in his play. I wondered about strength if he gets covered up with a nose. He was real competitive. You knew he was leading the pack. He was athletic enough with good strength, not great strength." Started 20 games at LG before moving to the pivot in 2013 and starting 13. "Better player than he is an athlete," another scout said. "He's not great at the second level. Kind of a Steady-Eddie, but effective." Longest arms (34) among centers. Wonderlic of 20. "Boy, I didn't like that guy at all," a third scout said. "I thought that guy was soft and non-physical. He's got a bad body."

I wasn't even arguing whether he was any good or not. The thread was just funny to me.

A couple peeps who like him, followed by the report that he was a niner followed by 1 post that he's not that good.

You have to admit it looks funny.

I'm not saying anything about the pick itself.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":10qd6wet said:
I wasn't even arguing whether he was any good or not. The thread was just funny to me.

A couple peeps who like him, followed by the report that he was a niner followed by 1 post that he's not that good.

Above, I pretty much dismantled your insinuation that my low grade for Martin has anything to do with the fact that he's a 49er.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":xafvoydr said:
hawknation2014":xafvoydr said:
Posted on FEB 20, 2014:

Posted on MAY 05, 2014:

Marvin,

What he is saying is that he didn't like him before the draft so his opinion is unaffected by him being a 49er. Then he posted evidence that he didn't like him. That's all.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3k2tcat8 said:
Marvin49":3k2tcat8 said:
hawknation2014":3k2tcat8 said:
Posted on FEB 20, 2014:

Posted on MAY 05, 2014:

Marvin,

What he is saying is that he didn't like him before the draft so his opinion is unaffected by him being a 49er. Then he posted evidence that he didn't like him. That's all.

Nah...I understood.

It just read funny. :) I get that he never liked the guy. Just funny reading the thread.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Re-read the thread Marvin,

1. A few people said they liked him and hoped the Seahawks would draft him.
2. One person said he wasn't good after he was drafted by the 49ers.
3. You then questioned that person saying that it was because he was a 49er that he had that opinion and said it was funny.
4. That person proved he has never liked Martin and linked to posts in other threads proving that exact point.

So in summary, there was one negative comment about Martin and that caused you to jump to conclusions. He proved he had the same opinion prior to the pick and now you still carry on and think it is somehow funny.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1jblt055 said:

3. You then questioned that person saying that it was because he was a 49er that he had that opinion and said it was funny.
4. That person proved he has never liked Martin and linked to posts in other threads proving that exact point.

So in summary, there was one negative comment about Martin and that caused you to jump to conclusions. He proved he had the same opinion prior to the pick and now you still carry on and think it is somehow funny.

oh. my. god.

Its not complicated people.

It READ as funny. That's it. If you went to a Niner page and saw Niner fans post that they wanted a player, a few more post about how they liked him, then Seattle took him and then a guy posted they don't like him...you'd think it was just as funny as I did.

Stop being defensive. It just read as funny. I get that he never liked the guy. Was never even arguing his critique (which I said explicitly).

Jeez peoples....have a sense of humor. LOL.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Marvin49":35jicdka said:
bigtrain21":35jicdka said:

oh. my. god.

It READ as funny. That's it. If you went to a Niner page and saw Niner fans post that they wanted a player, a few more post about how they liked him, then Seattle took him and then a guy posted they don't like him...you'd think it was just as funny as I did.

Stop being defensive. It just read as funny. I get that he never liked the guy. Was never even arguing his critique (which I said explicitly).

As long as you are not implying that I am biased against Martin because he was selected by the 9ers, I have no problem with you having a laugh. Absurdity, such as viewing individuals with differing opinion as a monolith and making hasty assumptions, can be funny.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":135dg9pp said:
Marvin49":135dg9pp said:
bigtrain21":135dg9pp said:

oh. my. god.

As long as you are not implying that I am biased against Martin because he was selected by the 9ers, I have no problem with you having a laugh. Absurdity, such as viewing individuals with differing opinion as a monolith and making hasty assumptions, can be funny.

SMDH. LOL. I give up. You peeps take ourselves way, way too seriously sometimes.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":1iczipo5 said:
hawknation2014":1iczipo5 said:
Marvin49":1iczipo5 said:
bigtrain21":1iczipo5 said:

oh. my. god.

SMDH. LOL. I give up. You peeps take ourselves way, way too seriously sometimes.

THERE WAS ONE PERSON IN THIS THREAD THAT SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT MARTIN AND HE PROVED HE DIDN'T LIKE MARTIN BEFORE THE DRAFT YOU DUMBASS!

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":ce8i4qjg said:
Marvin49":ce8i4qjg said:
hawknation2014":ce8i4qjg said:
Marvin49":ce8i4qjg said:
oh. my. god.

THERE WAS ONE PERSON IN THIS THREAD THAT SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT MARTIN AND HE PROVED HE DIDN'T LIKE MARTIN BEFORE THE DRAFT YOU DUMBASS!

Wow. The butt hurt runs deep with this one.

If you had actually read my posts I mentioned that MYSELF. Sigh. Lighten up.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":24drab3d said:

Why are you laughing and acting like you made a point when nothing was funny and no one contradicted themselves? You laughed at a situation that didn't happen and then are still acting like it was funny. It's very odd behavior and weird that you would continue to defend yourself.

Marvin49

Reaction score
bigtrain21":11d6xvap said:
Marvin49":11d6xvap said:

Why are you laughing and acting like you made a point when nothing was funny and no one contradicted themselves? You laughed at a situation that didn't happen and then are still acting like it was funny. It's very odd behavior and weird that you would continue to defend yourself.

I'm going to try to explain this one more time....and then I give up. I'll make this as simple as possible.

I'll use an analogy.

There was a picture I saw a few days ago that looked like a boys head had been shoved up a dogs a$$.

It was just an accidental forced perspective picture and the boy was in fact several feet behind the dog.

The picture is still funny. I'm not making fun of the boy or the dog. Its a humorous picture.

The reality of the picture is that nothing odd was going on but it still makes for a funny picture

Ya get it now? If not...then I don't know what to tell you.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lcfwdej said:
bigtrain21":2lcfwdej said:
Marvin49":2lcfwdej said:

I'm going to try to explain this one more time....and then I give up. I'll make this as simple as possible.

I'll use an analogy.

There was a picture I saw a few days ago that looked like a boys head had been shoved up a dogs a$$.

It was just an accidental forced perspective picture and the boy was in fact several feet behind the dog.

The picture is still funny. I'm not making fun of the boy or the dog. Its a humorous picture.

The reality of the picture is that nothing odd was going on but it still makes for a funny picture

Lol!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
bigtrain21":woxz1wax said:
Marvin49":woxz1wax said:
bigtrain21":woxz1wax said:
Marvin49":woxz1wax said:

I'll use an analogy.

Lol!

Lol

kigenzun

Reaction score
Marvin is funny. Hilarious even. Every time I see him post here I have to laugh out loud. Surely he must have been a Court Jester in a previous life. :p

However, we're talking about Marcus Martin as a prospect, not just arguing in circles & splitting hairs right???

IMO Marcus Martin is meh.
Low SPARQ. i.e. so not the Seahawks type 'o flavor. :179422:

BUT... the Niners run a power running game, and now have added Martin & Hyde. Uff Da! :thfight7:

Now, is he functionally better than Goodwin right now this second? We'll see in a few months I guess.
Personally, I'm not certain he is a plug and play starter this year 'cuz he so young...
Youth and Potential vs. Age and Experience. A Classic battle. I wonder if their O-Line improves this year or not.

Fast forwarding into the future...
Martin could be an All Pro...sure.
However, It's also quite probable he could be an average Guard/Center backup/depth player for a few years.

Personally, I view him simply as a cheap replacement for Iupati. Yet what the hell do I know? Nada.
But If I was an opponent's GM I would think Hmmm...
A solid move, and a good pick for the 49ers. And Great value. Wow. :snack:

(And yeah... How 32 teams could pass on this guy multiple times, for 2 days, was boggling me mind quite a while watching the draft. Especially New Orleans, which is where I thought he was headed. They needed a center badly, or so I supposed. I was wrong. Oh well. They got Goodwin after June 1st instead. Touche'.) :1:

Back to the Niners... IMO this was their best pick of the draft because they need that young depth.
And Marcus Martin is a young player that can fill multiple positions.

In summation, since he is a 49er... I must hate him forever :49ersmall:

But can't we all just get along?
:3-1:
Right Marvin?Jonathon Goodwin says Chill Out Dudes
http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sports/9342488-171/saints-will-sign-center-jonathan
2014draft OC 1 95

hawknation2014

Reaction score
There is no conceivable way Martin will be an All Pro. He is way too slow off the ball and has zero power. Mebane would literally embarrass him.