Manning linked to HGH

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
What is a cortisone shot? and what does it do for you? I may go ask for one on my shoulder.

Rob12

Reaction score
massari":32qbk07b said:
I'd bet over 50% of NFL players are on some sort of performance enhancer.

Low. I'd guess 75 to 80 percent, at the very least.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3n0csmrc said:
What is a cortisone shot? and what does it do for you? I may go ask for one on my shoulder.
It's a shot of cortisone (a steroid). When injected directly into/onto an irritated tendon, it causes the tendon to become softer and more 'stretchy', which allows it to heal. It also makes it more prone to being torn until the shot wears off in a couple weeks, so don't do anything athletic with the shoulder for that time. Some people get one and it provides instant relief (me, on my elbow when I had both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow at the same time from swinging my broadsword around at kung-fu), and some people find them to be the most painful experience they've ever had (my mom, when she got one in her knee). YMMV

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
GeekHawk":3sl8epkv said:
Seahawkfan80":3sl8epkv said:
It's a shot of cortisone (a steroid). When injected directly into/onto an irritated tendon, it causes the tendon to become softer and more 'stretchy', which allows it to heal. It also makes it more prone to being torn until the shot wears off in a couple weeks, so don't do anything athletic with the shoulder for that time. Some people get one and it provides instant relief (me, on my elbow when I had both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow at the same time from swinging my broadsword around at kung-fu), and some people find them to be the most painful experience they've ever had (my mom, when she got one in her knee). YMMV

Thank you.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Mathis (Colts) and his wife were trying to get a baby. He took some stuff. NFL suspended him 4 games.
So, it doesn't really matter what the reason for taking it ...
After watching Lance Armstrong deny this for years and even sue people, I just have a hard time believing any athlete, especially a football player. I don't believe anyone can play 10+ years in the NFL without taking some type of stuff.
hawk45":ahgom2yq said:
There is no bright line between healing and performance. Steroids are used for healing as well.
Better recovery from injury happens at the same time as better recovery from workouts, allowing more gains than would otherwise accrue.
So whether the intent was to recover from an injury or not, it is still a PED.
I acknowledge that the intent was different from a guy with no injury who just decided to improve his performance, I'm just saying that a PED is a PED.