Malik Turner

Largent80

Reaction score
Holy crap, as a former WR I can't tell you how hard it was to make that catch in the end zone, looking backwards into a gray sky with the wind, (even without the sky and wind). An INCREDIBLE catch, and the throw was spot on the money as well.

Turner has been getting separation a lot this year and has made some drive extending catches. Kudos Mr. Turner.

Keep it going !!!!!

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Here we have a guy that has flown under everyone's radar but has been producing. These are the kinds of players that Doug Baldwin, Sherman, and others personify by this fantastic FO, that always finds diamonds in the rough.

Turner is proving he belongs on the field.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Malik Turner and Russ have chemistry dating back to last year's pre-season. After one year on the practice squad.....he showed he was ready to make the 53 man roster. I remember quite a few of us fans expressed opinions that Jazz Ferguson should have made the roster instead. Turner does not get many chances in a game, but he is really money with these impact plays he is making.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Turner isn't the sexy pick of Lockett or Metcalf, but the guy has been MONEY. All the while flying under the radar.

This guy GETS IT and is a huge part of the WR corps.

quadsas

Reaction score
He's alright. But him being on the field means we don't get to see what everyone saw in Ursua

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I am sure the Eagles would like to have our WR problems.

Marque89

Reaction score
You know the Eagles would love to have our problem...so a weakness going into the season is now a possible strength??? Lockett, Metcalff while still raw is dangerous. Then we throw in Turner and Gordon??? Plus Hollister has been an incredible find. Russ will keep on keeping on with these cats and now the D is playing to Pete proportions....Yikes!!!!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
quadsas":3bq6ddsj said:
He's alright. But him being on the field means we don't get to see what everyone saw in Ursua

No, it means Ursua was over-hyped in pre-season as SO many young players are...and he hasn't been good enough to dislodge Turner. I like Ursua's potential, but he is a rookie and will grow. It's not Turner keeping Ursua from playing...it's Ursua (for now).

Mad Dog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":18fukizo said:
quadsas":18fukizo said:

No, it means Ursua was over-hyped in pre-season as SO many young players are...and he hasn't been good enough to dislodge Turner. I like Ursua's potential, but he is a rookie and will grow. It's not Turner keeping Ursua from playing...it's Ursua (for now).

This. I never understand fans need to see backups play. That's what preseason is for. In the regular season you need to trust the coaches knowing when a player is ready. Be thankful no one is less averse to playing young players than Pete, so often we do get to see young guys, often before they are really ready for prime time.

If Turner is playing ahead of Ursua its for a reason and often those reasons go well beyond catching ability. Blocking, playbook knowledge, special teams play, etc are the unsung things that Turner has in spades over Ursua.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Malik has made some huge plays, turns out that was a smart move to keep him around. Solid player, but yeah, let's dwell on Ursua instead of giving this guy credit :roll:

sutz

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3h9n149z said:
FlyingGreg":3h9n149z said:
quadsas":3h9n149z said:

This. I never understand fans need to see backups play. That's what preseason is for. In the regular season you need to trust the coaches knowing when a player is ready. Be thankful no one is less averse to playing young players than Pete, so often we do get to see young guys, often before they are really ready for prime time.

If Turner is playing ahead of Ursua its for a reason and often those reasons go well beyond catching ability. Blocking, playbook knowledge, special teams play, etc are the unsung things that Turner has in spades over Ursua.
Maybe Ursua is on a similar learning curve to what Malik worked through. Fantasy fans seem to expect immediate ROI, even on low draft picks. The typical WR takes 2-3 years to really emerge as a viable threat. They thought enough of Ursua to use 2020 resources to move up and draft him, and enough to keep him on the 53, and not risk waivers to move him to the PS. That doesn't necessarily mean they think he's ready now.

I'm excited to see Ursua, but I understand why he might be quite ready for prime time yet, and there is no need to rush him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not only is there no need to rush him, Turner is playing well and making the plays when he gets the opportunity.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
With people whining about Penny and Collier and where they were drafted, Ursua was taken in the LAST round of the draft while Turner was undrafted (as was Doug Baldwin).

With guys like Turner making the most of their chances Ursua may not even get a shot. He's still here however. I just wish they would have had him in the slot last Sunday and let TL rest his leg.

chris98251

Reaction score
So who do you cut to see Ursua? Gordon? Metcalf? Lockett ? Turner who is showing what patience does when developing players ? I know you fantasy fanatics want points and you think you may get them with Ursua, but the special teams contributions that the guys like Turner brings is also a factor. Then you have the body size that Gordon and Metcalf bring that can also block, is Ursua going to take on LB's and Safeties in our running game ?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ursua is not active and playing because he doesn't have a big enough body to block effectively in the running game and isn't otherwise good enough to overcome that deficiency. And he'd have to beat out this Tyler Lockett fellow to get on the field much, given that package. No surprise we haven't seen much (any) of him in the regular season.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Maybe Ursua is on a similar learning curve to what Malik worked through.

I agree with this. Last preseason, Turner was the guy showing flashes, and he looked like a guy who was ahead of the curve. I was just surprised he earned his roster spot as soon as he did.

Likewise, Ursua showed flashes this past preseason, and he looks to be ahead of the curve, whereas Jennings didn't, despite his higher draft status. So we very well could see Ursua really emerge next season.

There's a reason why he's still on the active roster.