Malik McDowell

annarborhawk

Reaction score
Re the accident. There's a culture of youths in Detroit buying ATVs and driving them very recklessly in Detroit. Detroit used to have several million population within the City Limits, and it's now down to about 800,000 or something (though it's starting to come back). Anyway, large swaths of neighborhoods are basically abandoned homes. And there are blocks of boarded storefronts and manufacturing. Areas of the city are returning to agriculture (I kid you not), and some are just becoming overgrown with vegitation.

Anyway, I say all this to give you a backdrop as to how/why ATVing has become a thing amongst certain circles w/in the City. They do absolutely crazy/dangerous stuff on them - But it's not the urban/busy environment you would think.

I'm pretty sure you can find videos of it on YouTube. Also, if you want to get an idea of the area, you can google streetview yourself a tour through some Detroit neighborhoods.

Anyway, the speculation is that Malik got hurt playing around this way in Detroit. Non smart. But truth be told, there are far worse things young men get caught up in the City.

As far as whether there was a police report, another little interesting tidbit from my fair city is that the homicide closure rate is below 20%. Think on that one. So, yeah, an unreported ATV accident is really no surprise.

original poster

Reaction score
annarborhawk":25bklm7j said:
Re the accident. There's a culture of youths in Detroit buying ATVs and driving them very recklessly in Detroit. Detroit used to have several million population within the City Limits, and it's now down to about 800,000 or something (though it's starting to come back). Anyway, large swaths of neighborhoods are basically abandoned homes. And there are blocks of boarded storefronts and manufacturing. Areas of the city are returning to agriculture (I kid you not), and some are just becoming overgrown with vegitation.

Anyway, I say all this to give you a backdrop as to how/why ATVing has become a thing amongst certain circles w/in the City. They do absolutely crazy/dangerous stuff on them - But it's not the urban/busy environment you would think.

I'm pretty sure you can find videos of it on YouTube. Also, if you want to get an idea of the area, you can google streetview yourself a tour through some Detroit neighborhoods.

Anyway, the speculation is that Malik got hurt playing around this way in Detroit. Non smart. But truth be told, there are far worse things young men get caught up in the City.

As far as whether there was a police report, another little interesting tidbit from my fair city is that the homicide closure rate is below 20%. Think on that one. So, yeah, an unreported ATV accident is really no surprise.

Speculation from where/who?

annarborhawk

Reaction score
original poster":goqg2377 said:
annarborhawk":goqg2377 said:

Speculation from where/who?

Not that I know of. Truth be told, I never liked the pick/guy so I haven't followed it that closely. (Hate MSU, and dude is not a high effort guy, just glided but would occasionally flash when it suited him - never understood the pick).

Anyway, here's a typical vid of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bth9oNhaoSY

You can see how sparse the city has become. This is in Detroit proper, in an area that used to have tons of homes and businesses.

annarborhawk

Reaction score
Sorry that wasn't clear. When people in the area heard that McDowell got hurt in an ATV accident, the assumption was that it was doing this sort of thing, which has become a widespread problem in Detroit.

The fact that it was an ATV accident I heard from people I work with, many of whom live in Detroit, who heard it from others, etc. etc. So third/fourth hand rumor. Take it for what it's worth. Anyway it's not like that was some huge scandal. Just another idiot on a bike/ATV who crashed. It made the "talk" because he was an MSU star who just blew millions after being drafted. (If he was a returning MSU player or had been drafted by the Lions, I'm sure we'd have the details). I've no reason to doubt it was an ATV accident.

I think the Seahawks can't disclose the extent of injuries because it was non-football related and HIPAA prevents it w/o consent.

In the end, I fully expect (as I did when they picked him) that this was a wasted draft pick. We'll be lucky if he every tries to play again. And if he does, I don't think he has the kind of motor that will last long in the NFL. He'll fold once he sees the level of competition and effort from the other players. Thank goodness we hit pretty well in the other rounds (Pocic, Griffin, Carson, and Jones are all NFL players, and Hill and Darboah still have a decent chance).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
12HawkFan":7tamr3cw said:
One thing is for sure, I would bet good money there is now some kind of clause in EVERY contract the Seahawks sign with most if not all and specifically big money players that specifically outlines what is and what is not considered risky and therefore "breach of contract" types of behavior. (Let it be known from this day forward it is to be called the "MM Clause")

Want to run with the bulls while you are under a multi million dollar contract and then get hurt doing so in a way that cuts your NFL career short or severely limits your once abundant abilities, your gonna be writing a big fat check back to the team or obtain enough insurance on your own dime to cover the re-payment.

If they don't like it, don't sign the contract and then cash the check with all the ZERO's on it, you have the rest of your post football life to act out your wildest fantasies on your own dime.

GO HAWKS!!!

Oh man....you mean like...go do the job you went to college and got a degree in??? That is just cold man. :sarcasm_off:

:stirthepot: :irishdrinkers:

Chapow

Reaction score
WmHBonney":29wdyujt said:
As I said, it is a law in NY. It doesn't matter where the accident occurred. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make you correct. The same requirement to report a personal injury accident applies to snowmobile and boating accidents also. Maybe it isn't a law where you ride but it is a law in NY.

Oh, I'm sure that every single person that crashes a snowmobile in NY state reports it the police. Just like how I'm sure nobody ever goes even a mile over the speed limit or fails to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. :roll:

Did this happen in NY? Nope, it happened in Michigan so I have no idea why you are talking about laws in NY. Completely irrelevant.

And even if it was a law in Michigan, you think some young black men messing around on ATV's are going to voluntarily get the police involved? Especially in a place like Detroit? You realize there are people that don't call the police when they are victims of a crime because they don't want to have anything to do with the police whatsoever?

I mean, I'm sorry, but this theory that lack of a police report indicates some kind of cover up or conspiracy or whatever it is you're insinuating is just silly.

Seymour

Reaction score
annarborhawk":29gn8md0 said:
.....Anyway, here's a typical vid of what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bth9oNhaoSY

You can see how sparse the city has become.
This is in Detroit proper, in an area that used to have tons of homes and businesses.

That is pretty eye opening when it comes to riding a quad / off road bike in Detroit. If that was the case with McDowell, it would certainly make sense and connect all the dots.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm not convinced we will ever hear the full truth.

Just hope the guy can play this coming season. Makes a big dent in the (current, at least) lack of 2nd and 3rd rounder having him back.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
adeltaY":613uz4jj said:
It's times like these I wish there was a way to get a draft pick back if he didn't even take the field and never plays due to a non-football injury. Seems fair, riiiight?
This is what I asked about earlier.

If a pick say goes out and gets killed in a car wreck, plane crash, whatever, just after signing a contract and before ever setting foot/playing on the field, I would think there would be some sort of comp pick system setup for this as loosing a #1 overall pick to dumb luck wouldn't happen very often but if it did it sure seems like a double blow to the team not only loosing the player but completely wasting a draft pick and then having to absorb the salary cap hits for no fault of their own.

I have a feeling there is SOMETHING set up in case of something like this happening but I have no idea what it is.

GO HAWKS!!!

original poster

Reaction score
12HawkFan":108x90yt said:
adeltaY":108x90yt said:
It's times like these I wish there was a way to get a draft pick back if he didn't even take the field and never plays due to a non-football injury. Seems fair, riiiight?
This is what I asked about earlier.

If a pick say goes out and gets killed in a car wreck, plane crash, whatever, just after signing a contract and before ever setting foot/playing on the field, I would think there would be some sort of comp pick system setup for this as loosing a #1 overall pick to dumb luck wouldn't happen very often but if it did it sure seems like a double blow to the team not only loosing the player but completely wasting a draft pick and then having to absorb the salary cap hits for no fault of their own.

I have a feeling there is SOMETHING set up in case of something like this happening but I have no idea what it is.

GO HAWKS!!!

I’m not convinced there is however it would be a great idea.

Seymour

Reaction score
adeltaY":34q9ffht said:

Not when the team ignores (or chooses to risk) the red flags on maturity and motivation which essentially are what it appears to have taken him off the field IMO.
Also, how would one determine he is absolutely done and career is over, it's not like he can't walk?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Didn't a high Raider draft pick commit suicide several years ago? Maybe it wasn't suicide, but he did die. Pretty sure the Raiders simply lost the pick. Them's the breaks!

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Chapow":1xeu7obk said:
WmHBonney":1xeu7obk said:
As I said, it is a law in NY. It doesn't matter where the accident occurred. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make you correct. The same requirement to report a personal injury accident applies to snowmobile and boating accidents also. Maybe it isn't a law where you ride but it is a law in NY.

Oh, I'm sure that every single person that crashes a snowmobile in NY state reports it the police. Just like how I'm sure nobody ever goes even a mile over the speed limit or fails to come to a complete stop at a stop sign. :roll:

Did this happen in NY? Nope, it happened in Michigan so I have no idea why you are talking about laws in NY. Completely irrelevant.

And even if it was a law in Michigan, you think some young black men messing around on ATV's are going to voluntarily get the police involved? Especially in a place like Detroit? You realize there are people that don't call the police when they are victims of a crime because they don't want to have anything to do with the police whatsoever?

I mean, I'm sorry, but this theory that lack of a police report indicates some kind of cover up or conspiracy or whatever it is you're insinuating is just silly.

First, I know that the accident didn't happen in NY. I said as much in my first post. I am using NY as an example. I suspect that most states have similar laws. Second, I'm trying to point out that he may have broken several laws which leads to his character issues again. We know he hates and disrespects police. Third, silly or not, a law is a law and if you break the law then you should be prepared to suffer the consequences. I don't care who you are. If I were the local police, and I became aware that he failed to report this, then I would be knocking on his door and asking why, soon to be followed by the appropriate charges. He is a punk and is going to be a BUST.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it was Barton, he became MIA the day of the Super Bowl and I thought committed suicide not long after.