Luani wearing #24

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":lux59o6b said:
Nope.

Number should be retired.

No Super Bowl without the OG 24.

With that logic you're going to retire about 10 numbers from that team, which is stupid which is why retiring numbers is stupid.

I hate the Cowboys with a passion but I have to give them credit for never retiring a jersey number. The Redskins retires Sammy Baugh but none since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ed_numbers

Schadie001

Reaction score
Great players but very, very few numbers should be retired on a team otherwise you water it down. I think as long as a number isn't retired then it's fair game to use.

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":grgf6mjc said:
I understand the sentiment, but don't agree with it. Give it out to whoever needs a jersey. He's not worried about us, he retired and became an Oakland Raider. And good for him.

He got paid a lot of money to play here, and they let him leave with a lot of money when they could have asked for it back. They also facilitated his move to Oakland Raiders. So I don't think we owe him anything.

I love what he did for this team, but Marshawn was for Marshawn. Pete and John rescued him from Buffalo and put him on the road to a Superbowl and possible HOF. Pete also let him get away with things that no other player got away with. Again, I don't think we owe him anything.

I'm a bit sentimental about the number, and what he did here, BeastQuake, wearing down defenses, but would he have gotten those opportunities anywhere else?

Very well stated and I agree 100%.

Tenor

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Retire his #? He literally faked retirement to get off this team, and then went to another team.

C'mon guys, have some higher criteria for number retirements. :34853_doh:

pmedic920

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":6sx3gker said:
Retire his #? He literally faked retirement to get off this team, and then went to another team.

C'mon guys, have some higher criteria for number retirements. :34853_doh:

I’m a BeastMode fan.

I do however agree with this thought.

The retiring of numbers is a good thing in my opinion but the bar should be set very high.

Had Marshawn played out his career in Seattle his number should be considered for retirement, as things turned out, not so much.

Maulbert

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":8rgtvqvn said:
Not a fan of retiring numbers. I would like it to be more of a "you can wear the number if you deserve it" but the blessing has to be given by the original person who made it great.

Even with that said I don't think Rice should have worn 80. We knew he was a one year thing. Wasn't like he was Randy Moss in his first couple years and I would hope the new player would be honored to wear a jersey respected by the team. Rice put Largent in a bad situation. The media would have had a field day if Largent said no.

As I understand it, Rice didn't expect to wear #80 with us. #$%&ing Bob Whitsitt was behind that shit. He called up Largent and guilted him into it, then told Rice Largent wanted him to wear it. From what I know, even Rice is ashamed of that, so I don't hold it against him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...s-details-of-decision-to-let-rice-wear-no-80/

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Without Marshawn, there is no Super Bowl win.

So yes, retire his number. I don't care if he killed your goldfish. Or parked next to your car and the door dinged your paint. Be mad at him all you want. Without him, this franchise's most important win does not happen because we don't even make the Super Bowl.

Yes, retire his damned number. He should have a statue in front of that stadium, along with the original 4 LOB members.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's just a number, it's not the end of the world. How is it impacting your life? Sure they should give him a different number, but it's not important at all.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Mike Tyson switched from #40 last year to #24 this year and wore it all through preseason. No reason to think he would have switched had he made the team.

I would rather Luani had picked a different number, but whatever. Looking forward to seeing him play regardless.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
MarShawn was a huge part of the XLVIII team. So were quite a few other guys. 31, 25, 29, 54, 51, 72, 92, 3, 89, 15, ...

I believe longevity must play an important part to retiring a players number. Lynch was only a Seahawk for the better part of 4 years. The two players who have their jerseys retired, Largent(80) and Jones(71) have a combined 27 years with the Seahawks. Largent 14 years and Jones 13 years. While every Seahawks fan, past present and future will fondly remember Beastmode and the contributions he made to the teams first Super Bowl victory, he is not in the patriarchal company of lifetime Seahawks like 80 and 71.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think certain numbers should mean something if there was a established greatness with them. 45 is one, 24 could be another, you only give it to a RB the steps up to the standard he set. I know Syracuse did that with the number 44.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is an opinion I disagree with.

Marshawn did not stay long, but he delivered the greatest gift a Seahawk fan could hope for. Not sure what else you want. Easily as important to that SB team as 71 was to his.

It is also telling that the Seahawks have literally done nothing of note in the playoffs since Marshawn left.

We will agree to disagree, I still think there are other #s they could have given him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Still will have zero impact on how he plays. It's just a number, eventually he'll probably choose another one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Actually, Chris nailed my actual preference.

If you cannot retire a number, then at least hold out certain numbers for guys as something to EARN. Only a great RB should be able to wear #24 in Seattle. I would be ok with that.

Maulbert

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":36ithdx9 said:
Marshawn did not stay long, but he delivered the greatest gift a Seahawk fan could hope for. Not sure what else you want. Easily as important to that SB team as 71 was to his.

It is also telling that the Seahawks have literally done nothing of note in the playoffs since Marshawn left.

We have won 2 playoff games without Lynch in the lineup.

We were 7-9 and missed the playoffs in 2011 with Lynch rushing for 1,200 yards when Tavaris Jackson started 15 games.

Wilson elevates us. Not Lynch.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maul,

You are counting wildcard games as playoff games, right?

Because those are the only playoff games we have won without Lynch.

And while Wilson is tremendous, I notice that even WITH Wilson this entire time we haven't done anything past the wildcard game. Our teams with Lynch and Wilson went to 2 SBs, teams with just Wilson? Haven't done anything outside of the wildcard game.

You draw your own conclusions but Wilson without Lynch never wins that SuperBowl. Wilson without Lynch hasn't won any playoff games of note since either.

We will see if that changes but the Hawks were 7-9 without Wilson and last year they were 9-7. So apparently Wilson is worth 2 extra wins. I don't believe that crap either but if you want to compare #s it looks like the one that elevated this team and that the defense literally depended on - wore #24.

Which might explain why we have done little of note since Lynch left.

Which might explain why I would consider #24 a special number that we should not be just giving to guys that have not demonstrated themselves to be above average.

Maulbert

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8ddorxvy said:
Maul,

You are counting wildcard games as playoff games, right?

Because those are the only playoff games we have won without Lynch.

And while Wilson is tremendous, I notice that even WITH Wilson this entire time we haven't done anything past the wildcard game. Our teams with Lynch and Wilson went to 2 SBs, teams with just Wilson? Haven't done anything outside of the wildcard game.

You draw your own conclusions but Wilson without Lynch never wins that SuperBowl. Wilson without Lynch hasn't won any playoff games of note since either.

We will see if that changes but the Hawks were 7-9 without Wilson and last year they were 9-7. So apparently Wilson is worth 2 extra wins. I don't believe that crap either but if you want to compare #s it looks like the one that elevated this team and that the defense literally depended on - wore #24.

Which might explain why we have done little of note since Lynch left.

Which might explain why I would consider #24 a special number that we should not be just giving to guys that have not demonstrated themselves to be above average.

You're ignoring a declining defense and a significantly eroded offensive line. I would say our best line under Pete was Okung, McQuistan, Unger, Sweezy, and Giacomini from 2012-13. No question our defense was worse last year. Most of those pieces were there in 2011, when Lynch really turned it on. Wilson was the catalyst. A great quarterback can hide deficiencies, just look at Aaron Rodgers. A great running back can't, just look at Barry Sanders.

Latest posts