Lott says Kam Chancellor heading toward Kenny Easley’ level

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1rl8ibn7 said:
HawkWow":1rl8ibn7 said:
This is the first time I've heard Lott call Easley better than himself. I don't mean that as a knock on Lott, because I'm not even 100% sure who was better myself (even though 45 is my favorite player of all time). Very close and a classy statement by Lott.

That aside, I am a huge Kam fan, but he has a ways to go to be put in the league of Easley or Lott, IMO. Easley was the best of Earl and Kam put together and hit harder than any safety in history (not named Lott), IMO.
:13:
OTOH, I am probably biased, too.
First time for me also and you're not biased given even I considered Lott better than Easley.Lott played all positions in the secondary at Pro Bowl level at some point in his career. High praise indeed and it makes that extension a stroke of genius.

I have no doubt that Kenny could have played as well or better than Lott in all of the positions Lott played. Kenny was never asked to.

drdiags

Reaction score
Turns out Kenny wanted to play Free Safety when he came to the Seahawks but the team had wily veteran John Harris manning the spot. Along with Dave Brown and Keith Simpson playing corner. Kenny had the skills to play multiple positions. At least in his mind, he felt he was better than Lott. Even demanding that he be paid $1 dollar more than Lott when he got his second contract.

I am not going to denigrate Lott but in my opinion, Kenny Easley was the baddest secondary guy I have seen in my life. I didn't see the Lane's or others from the 50's but did see the secondaries of the 60's. I am biased so not going to try to change anyone else opinion. But I had never seen a player like him in the safety position. Mike Haynes, Jeter, Prime and others were some bad boys playing the corner but Easley was a game changer from his position.

I blame the pain-killers for robbing the Seahawks of a fuller career from this player. Oh well, keep up the good work Kam.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Lott says Kam is better than himself? Sorry but I disagree

razor150

Reaction score
Lott has consistently said Easly was better then him. So that part isn't a huge surprise. Saying Kam is though, and I would disagree. Kam is awesome and clearly getting betterevery year but he has a ways to go yet to be at Lott's level.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
At that level, it's kind of semantics. Great is great.

Kam is the best of the new era. Easley and Lott would get fined to death in today's league.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
drdiags":3p3n4ybp said:
Turns out Kenny wanted to play Free Safety when he came to the Seahawks but the team had wily veteran John Harris manning the spot. Along with Dave Brown and Keith Simpson playing corner. Kenny had the skills to play multiple positions. At least in his mind, he felt he was better than Lott. Even demanding that he be paid $1 dollar more than Lott when he got his second contract.

I am not going to denigrate Lott but in my opinion, Kenny Easley was the baddest secondary guy I have seen in my life. I didn't see the Lane's or others from the 50's but did see the secondaries of the 60's. I am biased so not going to try to change anyone else opinion. But I had never seen a player like him in the safety position. Mike Haynes, Jeter, Prime and others were some bad boys playing the corner but Easley was a game changer from his position.

I blame the pain-killers for robbing the Seahawks of a fuller career from this player. Oh well, keep up the good work Kam.

Do you think Kam is close to a game changer like Easely was? I've seen Kam elevate his game lately, seems to me he's at the point where he's a game changer, 'tilt the field' type player at this point. Honestly I don't think we win that niner game without him.

Jut curious since you watched both players.

McGruff

Reaction score
drdiags":psfikbj5 said:
Shout out to Lott for giving love to my boy Easley. Damn career was too short. Anyway, that is high praise coming from the HOFer. Loved those early 9ers secondaries. Loved the talent those teams had. Looking at the Seahawks roster now compared to 4 years ago just makes me a happy man. Whomever is the good luck charm for the franchise, you have my respect.

These boys are ballers. Tip of the hat.

Lott has always said Easley was better than him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's a crying shame that Mr. Easley, Mr. Largent, and Mr. Kennedy never got to play in a Super Bowl. A crying shame!
All 3 should have gotten that chance.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I think Kam interception against CK7 was a game changer in a very big game.
I don't mean to predict next Sunday's game, but I think Kam will be in the thick of some very key plays during the SB because of the nature of the opposition. I expect lots of short passes from Manning and lots of receivers running through the middle of the field right into Kam's path. He will either be exposed/outrun or he will punish some of these guys.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":32cuhcdo said:
MizzouHawkGal":32cuhcdo said:
HawkWow":32cuhcdo said:
This is the first time I've heard Lott call Easley better than himself. I don't mean that as a knock on Lott, because I'm not even 100% sure who was better myself (even though 45 is my favorite player of all time). Very close and a classy statement by Lott.

That aside, I am a huge Kam fan, but he has a ways to go to be put in the league of Easley or Lott, IMO. Easley was the best of Earl and Kam put together and hit harder than any safety in history (not named Lott), IMO.
:13:
OTOH, I am probably biased, too.
First time for me also and you're not biased given even I considered Lott better than Easley.Lott played all positions in the secondary at Pro Bowl level at some point in his career. High praise indeed and it makes that extension a stroke of genius.

I have no doubt that Kenny could have played as well or better than Lott in all of the positions Lott played. Kenny was never asked to.
You have the wrong girl if you except me to disagree but honestly given I was born in San Francisco and never moved out of California to PNW until the mid 1980's I saw much more of Lott than Easley.

hawk45

Reaction score
My handle is an homage to Easley so obviously I think highly of him. Better than Lott is difficult to say, but there sure isn't much daylight between them.

Kam is honored to be mentioned in the same breath as Easley and I'm sure takes it that way. Easley is a once in a lifetime player IMO. Kam is a current favorite of mine as well, love what he does and his impact out there year after year. I don't put him up there with Easley but YMMV.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
As I said before expect something similar to New Orleans. We will own the middle next move Peyton the clock is ticking...

drdiags

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2gunnz0q said:
Do you think Kam is close to a game changer like Easely was? I've seen Kam elevate his game lately, seems to me he's at the point where he's a game changer, 'tilt the field' type player at this point. Honestly I don't think we win that niner game without him.

Jut curious since you watched both players.

I think that Easley was like Sherman as far as taking the ball away. Still remember that Monday night game against the Chargers when he had those 3 interceptions. My memory is fading but I do think Kam packs more wallop. I know Easley got beat but I remember feeling more confident that he would make the play.

Easley ran like a gazelle it seemed to me. Probably why Knox put him back to catch punts, which I think helped lead to his health problems.

But yeah, Kam is a game changer. He fires up his guys just the way Easley did. Kam is striving to become the complete player and is humble, smart and solid. The Seahawks are very lucky to have him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I recall #45 knocking Montana out of a Pro-bowl. A reporter, kinda' speaking down to Easley, said "the game is supposed to be played for fun" and Easley replied "then they invited the wrong mother*****".

One thing people forget about Easley was his size (6'3" 215). In yesterday's sizes, Kenny was as big as Kam is today...yet returned punts.

I've already told my Easley threw me his jersey in the Dome story...so that sorta' sux. But not as much as having it wrestled away from me by overzealous, punkass security (nearly costing my dad his seats). Loved the man and I can't imagine the player it will take to replace him on my all time fav list.

irocdave

Reaction score
Nice to see Lott's comments about Kam. Lott was a bad ass and is probably the best to ever play the position. Kenny was just as good. It's really to bad the Hawks haven't truly squared up with Kenny. I had posters of him in room as a kid. Any one remember Easley"s street? Looked like a war zone with Kenny standing front and center with the football.

I think the Hawks line backers are soft, when they hit a running back it looks like a DB hitting them. Not the case with Kamtrack, every time he has a clean shot on someone the collision looks like the runner or blocker hit an oncoming freight Trane . Kamtrack doesn't miss tackles and if he has a couple steps on a clean shot you can see the other person flinch / move backwards. Can you imagine if the NFL hadn't adopted defenseless receiver penalties? Kamtrack would be knocking out a couple of players a game. We all know that VD has T-rex arms because of Kam....

Kam is every bit the player Kenny and Ronnie were. Would love to hear Kenney's thoughts on Kam.

amill87

Reaction score
Didn't Lott play both safety positions? I know Kam can and does as well but if we are talking around safety, Kam isn't even the best on his own team.

Kam has really grown up and become an amazing safety but let's be honest, just like the rest of our secondary, would he be as good without Earl next to him?

What a terrible problem us Hawk fans have in trying to decide how highly our two safeties rank all time. :179417:

Schleprock

Reaction score
Hands down my most favorite Defensive player ever - is Ronnie Lott. I respect and admire him in all ways possible.

Especialy satisfying to hear that (two-fold). Thanks for posting.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Ronnie Lott ‏@RonnieLottHOF 48m
@Kam_Chancellor you and @Earl_Thomas are getting it done at a very high level.

And what coach do Ronnie and Kam have in common? ...

Kameron ‏@Kam_Chancellor 5m
“@RonnieLottHOF: @Kam_Chancellor @Earl_Thomas Don't forget, I played for @PeteCarroll too.” Great coach