Lockett restructures

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Keep kicking the can down the road. Have to see the details, but it probably means we get an additional year out of him.

Now about that DK trade.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Ok, if the sitiation is that he will be staying for 13m vs us eating 17m in dead cap, it makes sense.

Jville

Reaction score
Love it. Wasn’t ready to retire my Lockett jersey just yet. This is huge though

Lockett was drafted for his return skills on special teams and potential to become a #3 receiver. He overcame a gruesome injury and learned how to adapt his play while becoming a resilient starter. The 2024 receiver room returns 2 young receivers who were drafted for return shills and their potential to develop into a #3 receiver. Completing the circle. How sweet it is!

When ya need a mentor who has overcome adversity and learned to adapt, what number are ya gonna call?

Last edited:

warden

Reaction score
Entered the season with Tyler been a 27 million dollar cap hit. If we cut him we would save 7 million cap space this year but would have a 17 million dollar cap hit and no Tyler. This deal frees up ten million cap space this year and we also keep Tyler. With the tricky situation this is a good deal

NoGain

Reaction score
I think Tyler just wanted to stay here, not go elsewhere. I gather that he sees this area as his longer term home. My guess is that it was a pretty easy decision for him.

getnasty

Reaction score
Seems to good to be true. I think TL still has plenty left in the tank. Eventhough he'll probably end up being the 3rd option he'll be the best 3rd option in the league and us being able to keep the band together on the offensive side of the ball is great. Hope he retires after 25.

renofox

Reaction score
It sounds like he took a $4M pay cut in 2024 to get his 2024 and 2025 salaries guaranteed.

I don't like it. He is an aging vet who is being drastically overpaid. And now it's all guaranteed.

Bad move. JS has been doing so well that this snafu is kind of surprising.

CactusJack

Reaction score
It sounds like he took a $4M pay cut in 2024 to get his 2024 and 2025 salaries guaranteed.

I don't like it. He is an aging vet who is being drastically overpaid. And now it's all guaranteed.

Bad move. JS has been doing so well that this snafu is kind of surprising.
I'm not sure where you're getting that information. Only 13 million is guaranteed this year. Apparently there's little to no guaranteed money in year two.

renofox

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you're getting that information. Only 13 million is guaranteed this year. Apparently there's little to no guaranteed money in year two.
Several sources have said the new contract is 30 guaranteed with 34 available (4 nltbe incentives).

As his contract was 17 in 2024 and 17 in 2025 that's a conversion of 4 into incentives. When I first posted I hadn't heard about the incentives.

We'll just have to wait and see for sure when details are officially released.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Several sources have said the new contract is 30 guaranteed with 34 available (4 nltbe incentives).

As his contract was 17 in 2024 and 17 in 2025 that's a conversion of 4 into incentives. When I first posted I hadn't heard about the incentives.

We'll just have to wait and see for sure when details are officially released.
No, the base salary is 2 years, $30m. With an additional $4m in incentives.

$13m is guaranteed this year. No mention of other guarantees.

morgulon1

Reaction score
13 million for this year guaranteed ? Isn't that a lot for a sub 1000 yard receiver.
My instant reaction is it's fair .Lockett is a favorite of Geno Smith,gets open , smart, reliable , great hands .

I wonder if JS is speaking with DK

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
1710060940750 Like Father like son...Football Player....Business MAN... LIKE THIS DEAL!

12forlife

Reaction score
13 million for this year guaranteed ? Isn't that a lot for a sub 1000 yard receiver.
Yes still over paying for a #3 WR. Should be $8-10 mil. But with JSN on a rookie deal I guess it's doable? Plus we don't need to reach for a WR in the draft, while we have so many other holes to fill.

RiverDog

Reaction score
2nd best Seahawk all time behind Largent. Overcame one of the most gruesome injuries a player can have. A slam dunk for the ROH. Like Largent, he's never been to a Super Bowl.

I'm not sure how adept he is with mentoring, but he should be a good one to break in players like JSN and Bobo.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Is $13M a lot for a reliable-on-third-down sure-handed receiver? Sure. In 2018.

In 2023, receivers like Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton have $13M salaries.

Additionally, $13M is Lockett's salary this year, which is neither the total cash compensation he'll receive this year (but it is part of that) nor his cap hit. Lockett's nominal salary was $15.3M before the restructure. So if you're honestly worried about his salary number, stop worrying, because the Seahawks reduced his salary.

Now if you want to talk about cap hit... well, keeping Lockett was still a better move by salary-cap consideratios too. Under his contract as it was before, Lockett was going to take up almost $27M of the Seahawks' 2024 cap space. If the Seahawks had cut or traded him, he would have taken up almost $20M. And as I've said elsewhere on .NET, Lockett is extremely likely to be worth the $7M difference.

The restructure gives the Seahawks more cap space this year.

So this restructure lowered both Lockett's nominal salary and his 2024 cap hit. It also increased Lockett's 2024 cash compensation (the amount of money his bank account will actually receive from the Seahawks this year), but that's not our problem and the Seahawks front office evidently felt the actual real-world cash wasn't a problem. The one negative is that it pushes more cap accounting back, so it takes money away from the Seahawks' cap in 2025.