Let's Talk Mariners

jkitsune

Reaction score
This is nothing unusual with young players. Ackley, Montero, Seager, and Smoak are all fairly young players with options left who can be sent to AAA if they're struggling. Veteran players cannot be 'optioned' to AAA - they can be 'designated for assignment,' which means they can either choose to accept assignment to a minor league club in their current team's affiliate or they can refuse assignment, leading to their eventual release from the team. When a player is DFA'd, there's ten (I think?) days for the club to try to work a trade for them before they're let go.

So no, a young player that's only been in MLB for a year or two is prone to being sent back down if they tank.

chris98251

Reaction score
We seem to have more then our share though, going back other then pitching I am trying to remember the last break out player that wasn't a pitcher and can't besides Griffey, A-Rod. We have had plaers come up to the majors and get sent back down get traded and become stars several times though.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The Outfield":15igtmty said:
Being an M's fan is such an emotional roller coaster ride.

I really don't see how, I thought everyone was either just down or apathetic.

hawker84

Reaction score
Throwdown":154rd6zs said:
The Outfield":154rd6zs said:
Being an M's fan is such an emotional roller coaster ride.

I really don't see how, I thought everyone was either just down or apathetic.

maybe in the 90's, 2000's, but lately it's just pretty much, two weeks of intrigue, then golf/fishing season..

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2ecwupj6 said:
We seem to have more then our share though, going back other then pitching I am trying to remember the last break out player that wasn't a pitcher and can't besides Griffey, A-Rod. We have had plaers come up to the majors and get sent back down get traded and become stars several times though.

Adam Jones... last player we've had that we traded that has amounted to a "star"... terrible trade. I know Dickey and Morrow have both had strong seasons elsewhere, but nothing consistent (Dickey's Cy Young goes right next to Brady Anderson's 50 home run season on the "wtf" shelf)

CPHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":164tg9yd said:
chris98251":164tg9yd said:

Adam Jones... last player we've had that we traded that has amounted to a "star"... terrible trade. I know Dickey and Morrow have both had strong seasons elsewhere, but nothing consistent (Dickey's Cy Young goes right next to Brady Anderson's 50 home run season on the "wtf" shelf)

How's that? Brady was on roids that year.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CPHawk":1iotw1k8 said:
Uncle Si":1iotw1k8 said:
chris98251":1iotw1k8 said:

How's that? Brady was on roids that year.

no he wasnt

GCrow

Reaction score
Sooo, how about this?

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2013/5/28 ... -struggles

"It's the new generation. It's all this sabermetrics stuff, for lack of a better term, you know what I mean?" Wedge said. "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

By that logic you would have to think Sabermetrics are destroying every one of the M's players amirite?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Rainiers winning 25-2 in Colorado Springs right now, bottom of the 6th. :lol:

Carmon1274

Reaction score
sutz":2tyxp0u1 said:
We need to trade for this guy. :)
Miggy gif 194622

If he was in a shitty team like the Mariners, easy solution walk him.

But if it was a loaded team with prince and Caberera, then its not easy anymore.

I said we should had traded Felix, and not give him a big contract, and ill still stand by my comment. Iwakamura will not last long for the Mariners. He's already 30 years old+, and will look for a big contract after next season.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Ackley had 5 hits including an HR and also 2 walks :D hopefully he is getting this worked out.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CPHawk":3d2sa7vv said:
No? Brady went from tiny to ripped in no time Si. If you believe he was clean, I have some ocean front property in NM you should buy.

http://www.businessinsider.com/inflatab ... 012-2?op=1

I love New Mexico... did they ever get the Isotopes from Springfield?

On the Mariners.... Wedge will be relieved of his duties soon. This thing is going south fast. Whats frustrating is if the bullpen closes things out over the last 3 weeks we are looking are only a 4-5 games from .500.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
PLEASE read this column by Greg Jayne of the Vancouver (WA) Columbian from this morning (Sat.):

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.

Dustin Ackley, the once and former hope of the Seattle Mariners, has been demoted to Triple-A. And the problem, we know now, is . . . wait for it . . . mathematics.

Yes, mathematics. Numbers. Those pesky things that actually measure a player's performance.

Ackley was batting .205 with a .266 on-base percentage when he was sent down, and the reason for this, according to his manager, was that Ackley was being too selective at the plate and was worried too much about on-base percentage.

"It's the new generation. It's all this sabermetrics stuff, for lack of a better term, you know what I mean?" manager Eric Wedge told MLB.com. "People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

Ah, all this sabermetrics stuff -- baseball's new math. All these newfangled methods that tell us how important on-base percentage is.

Don't us media types know that a player such as Ackley shouldn't be bothered with things like, you know, trying to get on base?

Ugh! Math! How does it work again?

Never mind the fact that -- thanks to sabermetrics -- we know that on-base percentage is by far the most important offensive statistic. We know that OBP holds the strongest correlation to the actual number of runs that a team scores.

Goodness knows, we wouldn't want to get into Ackley's head with information like that.

Which brings us to the many, many ways in which Wedge's quote is an abject failure of managerial acumen:

• First of all, if Ackley is concerned about his on-base percentage, he's doing a lousy job of showing it. He's the deadbeat dad of OBP, the criminally negligent driver who leaves OBP in a roadside ditch.

Last year, Ackley's on-base percentage was .294. This year, his .266 mark ranks 157th out of 170 qualifiers in the major leagues.

If Ackley supposedly cares about getting on base, his OBP is about to sue him for non-support.

• Second of all, Ackley is being paid $1.5 million this year. If he is easily distracted by advice from outsiders, then he's probably a little overpaid. Like by about $1.499 million.

Isn't it more than a little absurd to suggest that a major leaguer's performance is affected by "people who haven't played since they were 9 years old"?

• And third of all, maybe the problem lies more with Ackley and Wedge than it does with people who analyze baseball statistics. I'm just guessing here. Then again, unlike Wedge, I'm not paid $1.9 million a year to figure these things out.

Which, by the way, also is money not well spent. Wedge took over the Mariners in 2011, and since then they have wandered through an offensive desert of historic scope. Since the start of the 2011 season, Seattle has scored 165 fewer runs than any other team in the American League.

Take, for example, Justin Smoak. By the middle of this week, the Mariners' first baseman was on pace to finish this season with 558 plate appearances and 25 RBI. No first baseman in the history of the game -- well, unless you count Joe Agler of the 1914 Buffalo Buffeds from the Federal League -- has had 550 plate appearances with as few as 25 RBI in a season.

But you can ignore that. It's just math.

Instead, you can wonder how the Mariners have taken allegedly solid prospects such as Ackley, Smoak, and Jesus Montero and rendered them impotent at the plate. For the past several years, Seattle's offense has been a failure at every level, from roster building to player development.

And you don't need to play the game to understand that.