Lets talk Derick Hall

Chawker

Reaction score
I have a feeling he is going to have a extraordinary good rookie campaign. He might even push spoon for ROY, I think it will come down to how much playing time he gets. I believe he could rack up 10 sacks this season, but to do this he'll have to beat out D. Taylor to do it.

I think by week three look for Hall to have a starting roll in the Seahawks defense.

Cheers

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
What’s the word on him in camp? Is he standing out? Making plays?

seabowl

Reaction score
I like the optimism however, he had 19.5 sacks in 47 college games. Now you think in his rookie year he has a chance to get 10 sacks in the NFL which would be 1.7 sacks per game average. Your viewpoint isn’t the glass is half full, but rather the glass is overflowing.

bileever

Reaction score
I like the optimism however, he had 19.5 sacks in 47 college games. Now you think in his rookie year he has a chance to get 10 sacks in the NFL which would be 1.7 sacks per game average. Your viewpoint isn’t the glass is half full, but rather the glass is overflowing.
Your math is a little off. 10 sacks is actually .58 or about half a sack a game. 1.7 sacks a game would be 29 sacks on the season.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Why do you think he'll play in just six games?

10 sacks / (1.7 sacks/game) = 5.88 games.

BASF

Reaction score
If the highway robbery of giving the ROY to Gardner over Woolen has shown anything, it's that the Seahawks aren't winning rookie of the year in this era. The only stat Gardner had an advantage in was pass defenses by only two and was still gifted the ROY.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As we've seen over the past couple of years with guys like Taylor, Robinson, Mafe, etc. It's VERY difficult for even great college DE's to come into the NFL and have a big impact.

The NFL game is so technical, it can take years for them to figure it out. Or in some cases, never figure it out because they keep trying to fall back on their strength and athleticism, and don't put in the work on the technical game.

So while Hall is an absolute beast of a player with a high motor, he's very raw so I'm not really expecting all that much from him this year other than getting 10-20% of snaps and learning the position.

But he's definitely a player I'm going to be watching in pre-season games.

bileever

Reaction score
@Chawker, this turned out to be a timely post. I hope you're right about Derick Hall because Darrell Taylor just sprained his shoulder.

I'm high on Hall and Mike Morris. Those are two big, strong fellows. Morris is 6' 6" and 300 pounds! And Derick Hall ran a 4.55 40 and had a 1.59 10 yard split. Aside from Nolan Richardson, there wasn't any DEs quicker than that in this year's draft.

Last edited:

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
If the highway robbery of giving the ROY to Gardner over Woolen has shown anything, it's that the Seahawks aren't winning rookie of the year in this era. The only stat Gardner had an advantage in was pass defenses by only two and was still gifted the ROY.
And to add insult to injury, "Sauce" was placed 53 spots ahead of Tariq on the top 100. 😔 SMH.

Smellyman

Reaction score
and Walker not getting OROY and Carroll never winning coach and Schneider never getting Exec ot the Year etc. etc.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I could see Hall playing as a situational pass rusher and getting 10 sacks for a season that’s how the 49ers played Aldon Smith in his rookie year when he had 14 sacks in a 16 game season and voted DROY

Fade

Reaction score
Taylor and Nwosu are going to be the guys lined up at edge on passing downs. With Mafe being the base starter over Taylor, with some pass rep Ops here and there for Mafe as well.

Injuries need to occur to 1, maybe 2 of those 3 guys for Hall to get significant reps as a pass rusher.

I'm looking at it being more like a learning year for Hall, and in yr 2 is where he becomes a regular for the likely vacated Taylor.

Mick063

Reaction score
I would show him loop film of Dwight Freeney on a daily basis.

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes, I was way off with my math. I have no idea how I came up with that number but I did. As Chevy Chase said in a skit on SNL “It was to my understanding there would be no math in this debate“.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I hope this is sarcasm
Do you disagree with the calculation?

I'll stand by my affirmation that if the person to whom I was replying thought Hall having ten sacks in the season meant 1.7 sacks per game, then he thought Hall would only play in six games.

1.7 sacks per game in a 17-game season would be about 29 sacks, but since a player can only have an integer or half-integer number of sacks, it probably makes more sense to say that a 29-sack performance in a 17-game season would be an average of 1.706 sacks per game, and a 28.5-sack performance would be an average of 1.676 sacks per game.

If you're asking if I understand the arithmetic error in the post to which I was replying, look at how I set up the calculation, with the dimensions (sacks, sacks/game, and games) explicitly present so there's no ambiguity. When one is not sure if one should be multiplying or dividing, the dimensions show the way to correctly set up the calculation as multiplication of fractions.

chrispy

Reaction score
Darrell Taylor- sprained shoulder so there may be some shuffling already....