KR & PR

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I'm wondering what you guys think about our options at Kick Returner and Punt Returner this season, particularly once Percy comes back. A couple thoughts :

PR : Golden Tate. Talk about rolling the dice. I think this guy is super hard to gauge. He's as slippery as an eel with the ball, fast, and explosive. Pretty sure handed on catches as well. He's definitely one of our top playmakers and options to be sure. However, DAMN this guy gives me a heart attack. He goes against all conventional wisdom with when to fair catch or not, but to date hasn't really screwed us and in fact has overall helped us quite a bit. However, I really do not want to see one of his questionable decisions come back to screw us in a big-time game, particularly the playoffs. What you guys think ?

KR : Jeremy Lane : fast, elusive, but in my opinion, wayyyy too slight. Opponents on kickoff coverage must be licking their chops to destroy a guy that skinny. Watching that fumble in Houston, it looks too darn easy for him to give up the ball if he takes a good hit, plus doesn't have the experience that offensive players do with protecting the ball. I could definitley see more fumbles out of him this season and that terrifies the hell out of me, especially since basically every KR fumble results in the ball in the red zone for the opponent. And before you tell me Trindon Holliday is small as well, lets please not compare those 2 as kick returners ; They're in a completely different class

Percy Harvin : no doubt our best option and one of the best in the league. The problem of course is his lemon-like qualities and his huge contract. Do you put him at risk on KR's ? I don't think he's worth the money if you don't, but I also don't think he's worth the money if he's sitting on IR doing absolutely nothing for us. I definitley say to roll the dice with him, as he makes us that much more explosive on special teams. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt, but definitley will take him over our other options

Thoughts ?

Also a side note, our special teams have given up 8 yards on this year on 18 punts. That is not a typo. Pretty damn impressive

uncle fester

Reaction score
Percy on KRs, Golden on PRs. Tate's been good up to now and part of Harvin's appeal was his return game.

I personally lost a lot of confidence in Lane's reliability after that fumble. No way should he have been one-handing the ball at that point.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Love Tate on PR's. Most sure handed, great balance and instincts....absolutely fearless which is a pre-requisite for esp punt returns.

Hate Lane on KR's for above mentioned reasons. I am good w/ Kearse on KR's until PH is up to speed/fully recovered and might even be inclined to leave Kearse there for rest of season to minimize risk to PH. Not a lot of KR opportunities in todays NFL anyway.

themunn

Reaction score
seriously, when was the last time a returner got injured?
I think it's way overblown

12th Man Forever

Reaction score
themunn":2yud5u7z said:
seriously, when was the last time a returner got injured?
I think it's way overblown
Jacoby Jones against Denver. Pretty freakish accident!
I like Golden on PR's and Percy on KR's

Exittium

Reaction score
I would like to see Kearse instead of Tate or a rotation between those two for PR's and Harvin on KR's

Fisherhawk

Reaction score
Tate is pretty damn good as a punt returner.The only problem I have with it is it will drive up his price for next contract.Do an early extension now!

Latest posts