KJ Wright illegal bat

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/651240388951470080[/tweet]

Miss you, Sando.

Exittium

Reaction score
Hey nobody in the NFL knew this rule... But apparently stafford did... Haha well get ready guys and gals.. We wont hear the end of this now..

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ak5oziv0 said:
Vpk0718":ak5oziv0 said:
Seafan":ak5oziv0 said:
ivotuk":ak5oziv0 said:
Could have cost us the game

So could have RW.

You mean the OL

RW is literally the ONLY reason we scored any points today. So tired of him receiving any of the blame.

He had some spectacular moments today.

He also missed some easy throws and was careless with the ball.

He deserves both credit for his magic and blame for poor play at times.

He also may be the only QB whol could've survived that game.

Polaris

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3aamro23 said:
SuperFreak":3aamro23 said:
I thought it was going to be a penalty when it happened, glad they missed it even though it sucks the refs don't know the rules.
Show me please. I've seen it all the time. But I'd love to see the actual rule. I suppose I could look it up myself but I'd rather you show me fact rather than opinion.

Unfortunately the actual rule no longer matters. ESPN has drummed up the memo that "The Refs have robbed the lowly Lions once again" and now that VP Blandino has made it "official" that will be the mantra for the rest of the season, regardless of the facts.

However, if you watch the interview with the VP of officiating on NFL network he emphasizes over and over again that an intentional bat is a JUDGEMENT CALL and in the judgement of the backjudge (who was looking directly at KJ Wright at the time), the contact was incidental, non-intentional, and did not impact the play. That is WHY that play was non-reviewable. [The Detroit Lions could not ask for a review in any event since this was within the 2min warning. Any review would be up to the officiating crew and to call back in NY which they DID DO.]

This is a BS controversy all the way. The back judge was in clear view of the play and made the JUDGEMENT CALL. Period. End of story.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":9bae369s said:
SuperFreak":9bae369s said:
I thought it was going to be a penalty when it happened, glad they missed it even though it sucks the refs don't know the rules.
Show me please. I've seen it all the time. But I'd love to see the actual rule. I suppose I could look it up myself but I'd rather you show me fact rather than opinion.

I was going off the retried guy on ESPN although it seems he is right from what I can tell.

Smellyman":9bae369s said:
No foul if this is it:

Rule 12-4-1(a) explains that an illegal bat occurs if “a player of either team bats or punches a loose ball in the field of play toward his opponent’s goal line. While Rule 12-4-1(a) doesn’t expressly require intent, Rule 3-2-5(g) defines illegal batting as “the intentional striking of the ball with hand, fist, elbow, or forearm.”

not towards the opponents goal line

Edit: someone else could find the actual rule, someone smarter than me.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-dolphins-patriots-game-comes-under-scrutiny/

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3ngy5twk said:
dutchman063":3ngy5twk said:
Hawkpower":3ngy5twk said:
dutchman063":3ngy5twk said:
Should have cost us the game...wow! once again the refs hand us a bullschiit win on a MNF game

You sound disappointed.

It was a bullschit win... again...

Seems fairly clear to me.

ducks41468

Reaction score
If the tables were turned and Detroit won on a batted ball out of the endzone, we would have never heard about this rule. People are getting their panties in a wad because the big bad Seahawks won again.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
For people wondering about Safeties: a safety is when the defense pushes an offense back into their own endzone. This was Detroit's offense putting the pall in the defense's endzone.

And yeah, sounds like KJ's bat was totally illegal. But whatever, it would have rolled that way anyway, or if he knew the rule he would have just held onto it. Now he knows. Same outcome.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
ducks41468":32pr63v4 said:
If the tables were turned and Detroit won on a batted ball out of the endzone, we would have never heard about this rule. People are getting their panties in a wad because the big bad Seahawks won again.

If we lost on this game say the tables were turned I'd be pissed. If I'm a Lions fan right now I'm beyond pissed, but you have to get over it because it's done and over with. NFL referring is a joke, the league makes so much money every one of the guys on the field making these calls should know what they are doing.

I do agree though the media will blow this up to be much bigger than it was because it's our Seahawks, they love to make it seem like we get all the breaks when that isn't the case like last season's game at the Rams.

Media is acting like this call was the game, it wasn't Megatron scores there Seattle gets the ball and just under two minutes with two time outs at home to take the lead back but that's going to be lost on the talking heads tomorrow.

Smellyman

Reaction score
letter of the law. Illegal

Spirit of the rule. Not illegal.

Same reason refs let a lot of things go that hav no impact on the game or not within the spirit of the rule.

The bigger traavesty would be calling it

Rat

Reaction score
:vodka:
ducks41468":2xf4n6f1 said:
Yep, if there's one thing the NFL is about, it's making sure the Lions win games.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
[

He had some spectacular moments today.

He also missed some easy throws and was careless with the ball.

He deserves both credit for his magic and blame for poor play at times.[/quote]

He also may be the only QB whol could've survived that game.[/quote]

Maybe.

Although if you hit a QB who had already thrown a pass its often a penalty.

So other QB's probably would probably be ok.

MrThortan

Reaction score
This foul was basically a technicality and it shouldn't be overlooked that Kam made a hell of a play and forced a fumble. That is why the Lions lost, not because of some technicality. If KJ had a better understanding of the rule, he was right there to grab the ball with ease.

Polaris

Reaction score
Smellyman":1x5liyxl said:

Same reason refs let a lot of things go that hav no impact on the game or not within the spirit of the rule.

Even by the letter of the law it was legal. Why? Because the official on the spot (who was staring right at KJ no more than three yards away with a perfect view) determined that the contact was incidental. The rule SPECIFICALLY gives the official on the play that discretion.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Polaris":1458piwd said:
MizzouHawkGal":1458piwd said:
SuperFreak":1458piwd said:

Unfortunately the actual rule no longer matters. ESPN has drummed up the memo that "The Refs have robbed the lowly Lions once again" and now that VP Blandino has made it "official" that will be the mantra for the rest of the season, regardless of the facts.

However, if you watch the interview with the VP of officiating on NFL network he emphasizes over and over again that an intentional bat is a JUDGEMENT CALL and in the judgement of the backjudge (who was looking directly at KJ Wright at the time), the contact was incidental, non-intentional, and did not impact the play. That is WHY that play was non-reviewable. [The Detroit Lions could not ask for a review in any event since this was within the 2min warning. Any review would be up to the officiating crew and to call back in NY which they DID DO.]

This is a BS controversy all the way. The back judge was in clear view of the play and made the JUDGEMENT CALL. Period. End of story.

Actually Dean says the ref got it wrong. Says it was a judgement by the back ref but the ref was wrong with his decisions.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...o-Penalty-should-have-been-called-on-Seahawks

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Penalty calls are subjective. Refs don't call holding all the damn time. So why bitch so much about a not bat call?

Bottom line, if a rule negates a great play when the alternative ending was not really likely, it is a stupid rule.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smellyman":2hhjg57o said:

You mean like the call Dallas got against Detroit in the playoffs last year against the guy the very rule was written for? I'd hate to be the Lions but even they know that the rule everyone is nattering on about had no impact on the game and is written poorly.

Love you Rocket.:)

Polaris

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":qko0kmif said:
Polaris":qko0kmif said:
MizzouHawkGal":qko0kmif said:
SuperFreak":qko0kmif said:

Actually Dean says the ref got it wrong. Says it was a judgement by the back ref but the ref was wrong with his decisions.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-netwo...o-Penalty-should-have-been-called-on-Seahawks

Dean is talking out of both sides of his mouth. He is saying that it's a JUDGEMENT call, but he would have made a different judgement....but he's saying it in such a way to make it sound like the official made the wrong call.

That really ticks me off because it's just feeding the fire and that's the last thing anyone should want.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Dreadbelch":232lempa said:
Webzone having a tough time right now.

Tumblr nvs790MKzZ1rcm2lro1 1280

Cute%20heart%20creative%20wallpapers%201600x900.jpg

Latest posts