Kaepernick possibly on the trade block

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1rc3csv2 said:
^^^^ Yeah. It's 10 million in dead money on what would have been a 15 million dollar cap hit.

Still doesn't make a lick of sense, though.

Out here, in the public eye it really doesn't right now, and may just be that other teams called and asked, but we don't always know everything. When we traded Harvin I was shocked, but looking back it's completely understandable how it came about. Not saying Kaep is a cancer, but if he's unhappy or has an issue of some kind that is being kept behind the scenes, that could make it plausible.

I'm still sticking with the odds and the odds say it isn't happening, but for opposing fans, it's interesting fodder to get through the next 24 hours

Marvin49

Reaction score
kidhawk":3mfywir4 said:
Popeyejones":3mfywir4 said:
^^^^ Yeah. It's 10 million in dead money on what would have been a 15 million dollar cap hit.

Out here, in the public eye it really doesn't right now, and may just be that other teams called and asked, but we don't always know everything. When we traded Harvin I was shocked, but looking back it's completely understandable how it came about. Not saying Kaep is a cancer, but if he's unhappy or has an issue of some kind that is being kept behind the scenes, that could make it plausible.

I'm still sticking with the odds and the odds say it isn't happening, but for opposing fans, it's interesting fodder to get through the next 24 hours

Niners have been giving you guys a lot of that over the past year or so.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
kidhawk":83egeo2n said:
Out here, in the public eye it really doesn't right now

I don't think I'd really call a Seahawks message board the "public eye." If everyone was thinking it was going to happen on Steelers boards and Bucs boards (just to throw some teams out there, but insert any forum without a dedicated anti-9ers emoji and without a bunch of posters dedicating their avis and sigs to hating the 9ers) maybe, but I don't think a Hawks forum really counts for that purpose.

kidhawk":83egeo2n said:
but for opposing fans, it's interesting fodder to get through the next 24 hours

Oh yeah, for sure.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":vybnr996 said:
austinslater25":vybnr996 said:
It's a 9 million dollar cap hit this year for them. I'm not buying it but I hope it's true.

Actually it's over $5 miillion in cap relief if they trade him. The question is how much would they be paying the next guy? Are they considering picks and drafting someone? That would actually save them cap money. I still don't see this happening, but it is an interesting topic to get us through until contracts start getting signed tomorrow.

My bad, I stand corrected. I still would be shocked if it happens.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
OkieHawk":302swne6 said:
Basis4day":302swne6 said:
Watch Chip Kelly go and get him.

Trade Foles for Kap? That would be phenomenal for us as Foles is hot garbage. He's a Kolb 2.0, decent but should only be a backup.
It'd take way more then Foles to get him. Foles is on his last year of his contract so that would be the height of stupidity to do a straight across swap. I also hear Chicago is in the mix for him so I wonder if San Francisco are trying to take Cutler and Chicago's number seven pick? Because I hear they want to move up to get Mariota.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't think Baalke is smart enough to trade Kaepernick. He'll be afraid that Kaepernick will succeed somewhere else and make him look stupid for trading him. He knows that the teams that want Kaepernick would play him in a system where he might actually play well. Baalke will keep Kaepernick, try to get him to become something he isn't, do things he can't, and when Kaepernick fails with the niners, the whole front office and coaching staff will be let go. Kaepernick will then go on to have a Michael Vick post Atlanta-like career...great game followed by duds, good season followed by bad, starter to backup to starter. M.E.D.I.O.C.R.E.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":5nz4hgwe said:
This might help explain why the Eagles were so frantic about freeing up cash the past couple weeks.

Kaep would fit Chip Kelly pretty well, and he'd be reunited with Frank Gore for a season. You don't have to be a brainy QB to run Kelly's offense.

Whether or not this deal makes sense for SF depends on what they'd be getting back. The 20th overall pick, Nick Foles, and roughly $20 million in cap savings, for a QB the 49ers might end up cutting in a few years if he flounders without Harbaugh.

Rumor came from Eagles side, it makes no sense as an intentional leak for the purpose of deception.

It'd be funny if the Eagles picked up Kaep and the 49ers used the extra draft capital to trade for Mariota.
They should trade up for a Kicker.

kearly

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2y6gem0g said:

The 10 million signing bonus is a sunk cost, and with the cap rollover system SF will essentially pay the same amount regardless of whether they trade him now, or trade him next year, or cut him in two years.

I think Kaepernick's value is much higher now than it will be in a year. I hope this rumor is false because a realistic Kaep trade would probably be a good thing for SF in the long term. When SF signed that easy to get out of deal for Kaep, it not only telegraphed that Harbaugh was on his way out but it also hinted that the team would want the ability to shed Kaep easily if need be. Regardless of a trade, I would be surprised if Kaep plays out his contract in SF.