Journalistic integrity

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Journalistic Integrity is an oxymoron. Don’t expect integrity from anyone in the media.

misfit

Reaction score
It seems that most of the media is scared to challenge Pete or the coordinators all season, including the radio personalities. Its always on the players. Our local media seems really soft compared to other markets. Joe Fann seems to be one of the first guys to throw some shade at Pete. I actually enjoy it lol

Seanhawk

Reaction score
There have been several times where I listened to PC's pressers this year and read subsequent tweets from Fann and thought "that's not what was said AT ALL".

olyfan63

Reaction score
ivotuk":2cl1pkpc said:
-snip-
Other than maybe 1 or 3 more things, leave it up to your OC!

The problem this year was Schotty thought his way would work better than Pete's, and that caused Pete to start keeping a closer eye on the offense. I don't know this for a fact, but it sure seems that way.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident of my analysis of the situation. Schotty thought he had the answers based on early success. And I think early on, Russell was enamored with the MVP idea.

Problem is, the Referees were NOT calling HOLDING early on! And we played some garbage Defenses. BUt all of a sudden, several months later, people are using that early success to argue that Schotty is a good OC and we should have kept them.

It's called "Recency BIas".

When looking at history, one must take in to account all of the variables! No offseason, swallowed whistles, zoom meetings, and a BIG FACT that everyone forgets, early season offenses have no film on them! So defenses were studying our offense from last year.

Guess what? They put the wrong defenses on the field. Early season NFL games can be a toss up! We see it every year where some anonymous team, a new offense, or with a new QB, starts off great, and all the Pundittos are crowning them.

But then they get film on them, and the defenses take over. And that's where our offense was early on. They had a huge advantage. Problem was, as soon as some good defenses acquired film, they came up with "bomb stoppers" and Schotty was unable to adjust.

They kept trying the same things, over and over, 7-Step Drops, forcing the ball deep! And Russell paid the price! Getting sacked 48 times while throwing pick after pick.

It's all about the ball! And Pete's right! Facts bear that out! Games where Seahawks won the TO battle? 12-0! Games where they lost the TO batlle? 0-5.

The lesson from this year? And TBH, last year? Schottenheimer was unable to adjust. And that lost us games.

He's a great guy, possibly a pretty good HC, and with some young, smart guys assisting him with actual input, he might produce a much better offense. But I got the impression that he focuses too much on trying to change the narrative of him being a "medicore", run oriented OC by passing the ball. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe he's trying to dissociate himself from "Martyball?"

I have a feeling that John Schneider has been looking at prospective OCs for months now, but I hope Pete takes a little time to do multiple interviews, then do a "strong" comparison between the candidates, and then pick one. We need an OC version of John Schneider! Someone who worked his way in to the NFL when he/she was young, and has been promoted year by year due his/her successful input in to the game planning. :3-1:

Week 1: Falcons #19

Week 2: Patriots #7

Week 3: Cowboys #28

Week 4: Dolphins (A good defense) #6

Week 5: Vikings #29

Week 6: Bye

Week 7: Cardinals (tough defense) #12

Week 8: SF Beat up deffense #17

Week 9: Bills very good defense and offense
Just wanted to say, brilliant post! Laid out the issues so clearly. Schotty failed to adjust effectively against the GOOD defenses. Guess what we see in the playoffs? GOOD and GREAT defenses. We know Pete wants to win in the postseason, and Schotty was the weakest link. Thanks for laying it out so clearly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":2w1mi2d0 said:
The difference is, my opinion is on a Seahawk Message board... To get a press pass from the Seahawks,you have to represent a legitimate news source... call them and find out.

LTH

Your entire first post was about how Fann has no journalistic integrity in his opinions because they aren't factual about how Pete's a micro-manager and this is a low point in his tenure here.

Btw, with no links or context for us to read and see what you're even talking about. So again, YOU are editorializing your opinions on Fann without any facts based on things you've read from him. Huh?

Also btw, I agree with Fann on both those points. Pete is a micro-manager, or as I call him a micro-meddler, and this is a low point in his tenure here. 12-4 team, most talented offense he's ever had, wins his division and completely craps the bed in the 1st round of the playoffs to a division rival who's offense is a complete MASH unit?

So save your journalistic integrity for Wall Street Journal writers that cover national security issues, and leave out guys who cover sports teams for fluff online sports sites who might have an opinion or two you disagree with.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
[/quote]

You said "Your entire first post was about how Fann has no journalistic integrity in his opinions because they aren't factual about how Pete's a micro-manager and this is a low point in his tenure here."

No that's not what I said. what I said is, it is assumption on his part that Pete is a micromanager because he has nothing to back that up , he has no source to prove that. He is basing it off of Carroll's comments that Carroll intervened because he didn't like the play call. There could have been several reasons why Carroll did what he did...we don't know what happened in the meetings etc. could have been that they discussed parameters for 4-1 play calls and Schotty could have went outside what they discussed. we don't know.

You said " Btw, with no links or context for us to read and see what you're even talking about. So again, YOU are editorializing your opinions on Fann without any facts based on things you've read from him. Huh? [/quote]

Your right I should have posted the link but the truth is nobody denies the claim... I couldn't find the exact article as he wrote 3 about this here is one of them and we can go over it. I'm not going to take the time to go over the whole thing but here is another example.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... cromanager

Fann writes "That phrasing sounds more like a mutual decision rather than a man being relieved of his duties. Adam Schefter confirmed as much, reporting that Carroll and Schottenheimer met on Monday night and came to the conclusion that a fresh start was best for both sides. And there’s good reason for why Schottenheimer would want out of Seattle given the events of the last several days."

How does Fann know what went on in the meeting between Carroll and Schotty? He doesn't. How does Fann know why Schotty wanted out of Seattle? It's all assumption presented as fact... Know body at this point knows anything other than it was philosophical difference... Fann implies that Schotty left because Pete is a micro manager and there is nothing to back that up but opinion.

you said" Also btw, I agree with Fann on both those points. Pete is a micro-manager, or as I call him a micro-meddler, and this is a low point in his tenure here. 12-4 team, most talented offense he's ever had, wins his division and completely craps the bed in the 1st round of the playoffs to a division rival who's offense is a complete MASH unit"

That's fine if you agree with it that is not my point... It might be true but we don't know...

You said "So save your journalistic integrity for Wall Street Journal writers that cover national security issues, and leave out guys who cover sports teams for fluff online sports sites who might have an opinion or two you disagree with."

I'm not saying I agree or disagree I'm saying there is not enough valid information for Fann to make these claims.. Gregg Bell didn't make these claims.... Bob Condotta didn't make these claims. Why? because there is nothing to back it up...

LTH

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I think it's a little weird that people look at sports reporters and talk about them like they're actually reporting on something real. Threads and posts with seeming actual anger occur here, and I can't wrap my head around it. It's sports, not the Iranians seizing ships in the Strait of Hormuz.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":hh871ye0 said:
According to LTH not only can we not criticize PC but now reporters can’t either.

PC is not only not above criticism but should be the receiver of most of it for 5 years of pathetic post season play and the high school offense that seems to survive any changes in OCs.
Ya know what amazes me all to hell?, it's how Pete used a "High School" Football coaching venue, to beat another PROFESSIONAL Football team 43 to 8, and what was even more astonishing?, was how the rest of the NFL Professional Coaches couldn't outsmart, or make the necessary adjustments, and let him go right back the following year to compete for another Lombardi. :irishdrinkers:
P.S. Folks didn't seem to have much of a problem with how he "Micro (Meddle) Managed" back then, eh?

Latest posts