John Schneider is hurting our team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
As I said, the Chargers did this for years.

Admittedly, we have had some STELLAR hits in the past - Sherman in the 5th, Wagner was in the 2nd, a couple of LBs, etc. But lately it looks like that run was more just chance, like flipping heads repeatedly - in the long run the #s even out.

For the most part, teams that do not hit on #1s either lose depth or struggle to find difference makers.

On the surface, we pick up a few extra picks moving back. But unless we can package those picks to move forward in the 2nd it just means we get more chances in rounds that have lower hit rates and much lower chances of getting an all everything player.

I used to be a big fan of stockpiling later round picks too, back when we turned 4th and 5th round picks into gold. But we haven't done that for some time.

And the few we did hit on, I might have just forewent in order to get some solid performers that were on the board we could have run with.

In this case, we clearly need secondary help - so on the surface it seems palatable, but the #s have a tendency to bite you in the tail.

Teams that don't hit on #1s tend to struggle over time.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Very smart move imo. 2nd round players are cheaper than first rounders. Pick acquisition. Still a boat load of first round talent available (Robinson, King, Baker, Cook to name a few).

mikeak

Reaction score
One reason we had success in earlier years is because our team sucked. So the guys that were drafted were given time to develop and start and the result was these great draft classes.

Go back to the awful 2013 and look closer. Here are the guys that we drafted that are still in the league but with other teams last season Hill - Lions, Michael - GB, Ware - KC, Simon - Redskins, Seymour - Dallas, Bowie - Giants. Bad Draft or not....

Point being a few guys that can be allowed to be stars are better than many decent guys that we end up cutting. If you have a thin roster like Cleveland then your philosophy should be different. We are still drafting with the same philosophy that made us successful which is a problem

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kobebryant":104806ac said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":104806ac said:
C.J. Prosise
Nick Vannett
Rees Odhiambo
Tyler Lockett
Terry Poole
Mark Glowinski
Cassius Marsh
Kevin Norwood
Kevin Pierre-Louis
Jordan Hill
Chris Harper

That's our 11 3rd and 4th round draft picks the last four years. Real super stellar group of guys there (Tyler Lockett excluded). Can't wait to add a whole bunch more of those names to the roster.......

4 years seems like quite an arbitrary number for a very very obvious reason. Selection bias.

4 years is also the standard length of rookie contracts, so it's not really that arbitrary. It's looking at the most recent batch of players, most of which aren't going to be signing great deals after their contracts are up because they're not core player material.

I'm firmly in the camp that loves what happened tonight. Move down 8 picks and acquire all this draft capital? Love it.

IMO, we might have missed out on two players in Foster and Ramzyck, but what we got in turn and 5 or more picks in play going into the day tomorrow; I have to believe that the Hawks liked different guys. It's a deep draft, especially defensively, and we've made low risk FA signings that will be nice little supplements to the new faces we see this year.

Really looking forward to day two.

Gametime

Reaction score
The hawks have nearly 10% of the 2nd and 3rd round picks. Let that sink in.

Tical21

Reaction score
It would be super interesting to do a case study on what happens when teams trade down and/or out in/of round 1.

I personally thought this was a trade-up draft. Bolles, Jackson or Humphrey. I thought there was a pretty substantial dropoff after about 20. Once we hit 20 and hadn't traded up, trading back was the play. Surely we will have nearly the same grade on whoever we take tomorrow as we would have on who we would've taken today.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I think people are upset because they didn't get to see a physical pick happen. I get it. You may have been watching all day. All week. Then finally 26 arrives and they trade, then do it again. It's frustrating. But if you think about it it's actually the smart thing to do.

King Dog

Reaction score
Mojambo":28yteli6 said:
No offense, but I'm going to go with the guy who has built a roster (from scratch) that won the Superbowl, and goes deep into the playoffs every year.

Yeah but McCloughan doesn't work for us anymore :(

mikeak

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":2pdg2xvy said:
I think people are upset because they didn't get to see a physical pick happen. I get it. You may have been watching all day. All week. Then finally 26 arrives and they trade, then do it again. It's frustrating. But if you think about it it's actually the smart thing to do.

The frustration comes from having seen this movie the last few years with little to show for it.....

chris98251

Reaction score
King Dog":23xmmfjc said:
Mojambo":23xmmfjc said:
No offense, but I'm going to go with the guy who has built a roster (from scratch) that won the Superbowl, and goes deep into the playoffs every year.

Yeah but McCloughan doesn't work for us anymore :(

Umm he is back with his consulting firm, with his relationship with us you don't think he was paid for his input?

adeltaY

Reaction score
What's the deal with this "substantial need," at the LB position? Didn't we sign quite a few vets to cheap contracts to compete for LB depth? Sure, none of them are elite talents (as far as we've seen thusfar....), but are we seriously expecting to field 3 All-Pro LBs? That seems a bit unrealistic. Also, assuming Foster or whomever we could've picked at 26 or 31 would surely turn into that high caliber of a player that quickly is a bit silly.

As for that list of player we drafted 3rd round or later the past few years.

1. Lockett has been a two time All-Pro at the KR position. Made the second team this year even though he was hurt for quite a while. Kid's a pretty damn good receiver too.

2. Prosise has been hurt repeatedly, but he legitimately flashed elite talent.

3. Glow was a 16 game starter, albeit a mediocre one.

4. Marsh has improved every year. Great on ST and he got 3 sacks this year. Not an incredible impact, but he's a solid role player.

5. Rawls was a UDFA, but he was fantastic in '15. Injury concerns.

Also, we need to understand the context of the roster. Our depth players aren't getting as many shots at starting or playing period due to our starters being so damn good.

As for the draft, this feels pretty great. Ammo to move up in the second so we could get two impact players and still have some mid rounders left. Wouldn't it be great if JS pulled off getting Obi and Kevin King? Or Malik McDowell and Budda Baker?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Actually they have six picks in the next 2 rounds.

The picks are numbers 34, 58, 90, 95, 102, & 106.

Besides that they have pick 111 which is the 4th pick in the 4th Rd.

JS is clearly not hurting the team. Besides all you worriers the team just saved about $ 1 million in cap charges by trading down. I agree the trades could have not gone much better and there is amazing value left to pick.

mikeak

Reaction score
titan3131":3m8gy47a said:
*mod edit*.

Completely uncalled for and part of what creates a bad atmosphere. Consider using curtesy for all posters and especially fellow hawk fans

mikeak

Reaction score
adeltaY":35mjqqgc said:

As for that list of player we drafted 3rd round or later the past few years.

1. Lockett has been a two time All-Pro at the KR position. Made the second team this year even though he was hurt for quite a while. Kid's a pretty damn good receiver too.

2. Prosise has been hurt repeatedly, but he legitimately flashed elite talent.

3. Glow was a 16 game starter, albeit a mediocre one.

4. Marsh has improved every year. Great on ST and he got 3 sacks this year. Not an incredible impact, but he's a solid role player.

5. Rawls was a UDFA, but he was fantastic in '15. Injury concerns.

?

Agree if the point is to prove that we only gotten very few players out of all the later picks we have....

randomation

Reaction score
Mojambo":1shs77xc said:

A lot of that was the drunk guy though our hit rate has gone to shit since he left he did the same thing with the niners.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This thread reminds me why I hate fantasy football and Madden.
Some severely overvalue and overrate their own evaluation and scouting skills.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Great move/moves. Guy we thought wouldn't be there when picked are still there. Have the 2nd pick tomorrow so still getting someone we wanted and basically still a 1st round pick, let alone the extra picks. Pretty sure Peppers was the only target left the way it turned out therefore traded down knowing we can still get the true targets.

randomation

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2aqha24d said:

Some of us just want Russ to live getting the best pass blocker in the draft would have helped with that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
randomation":6saoswdt said:
Sports Hernia":6saoswdt said:

Some of us just want Russ to live getting the best pass blocker in the draft would have helped with that.
I understand that. But this is a weak O-line draft. The BEST in THIS draft may turn out to be bums, at least @ 26, and or there is an O-lineman or 2 they like @ 34. The draft isnt over yet.