John Moffitt Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3911zedv said:
CANHawk":3911zedv said:
Good luck in Cleveland Moff. And.... sorry it's Cleveland. But hey, look on the bright side.... it.... they...... ummmm.... You've still got your health!

Maybe. Remember when Cleveland was a cesspit for Staph infections?

You've still got your health......... until you get a staph infection that is. Remember to pack your shower shoes!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This is good practice for what happens after this season. I suspect quite a few players we have grown to know and love are going to be gone, since we have to start paying the salary cap boss.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3dbj33d0 said:
Sarlacc83":3dbj33d0 said:
Best of luck to him. I think he's going to have a pretty decent NFL career, but he clearly didn't fit what Seattle was looking for.

2011 was a bad year for Pete and John, wasn't it?

2011 was the year they brought in Tom Cable and Darrell Bevell, drafted Richard Sherman and KJ Wright, added Doug Baldwin and Jeron Johnson in UDFA, then added Rice and Miller in free agency. They also signed McQuistan, Giacomini, and Browner to dirt cheap futures contracts that offseason. Imagine if some other team led off the draft with Sherman/Wright/Baldwin/Johnson in rounds 1-4, everyone would be talking about how they killed that draft.

It was also the year that Unger and Tate started making massive strides, going from bad players to great ones. It was the year Lynch finally clicked and made our rush offense elite. Thurmond also clicked that season, but got hurt. Some of their lesser additions (Tjack, Branch) exceeded modest expectations. I thought 2011 was arguably a better year for us in terms of acquisitions and development than 2010 was. The addition of Cable was huge. If not for Wilson in 2012, I think you could argue that 2011 was their best offseason so far.

Also, I don't think Moffitt was a mistake. He was the best option available in a horribly depleted OL group (that draft had very little depth in general and OL was no exception). He pretty much lived up to his scouting report exactly- average at best athlete with a limited ceiling. He played close to an average level last season, but in the end, we are so stacked at OL that he didn't really have any value to us any more even as a cheap backup. Moffitt was traded not because he was terrible, but because Tom Cable is on a serious roll right now identifying late round /UDFA lineman and turning them into interesting prospects. The OL group was getting very crowded, and someone had to go. Moffitt was already at his ceiling, so he made the most sense, even though he's decent.

Dang it, I meant the 2011 *draft* and I apparently erased that word when I was rewriting my thoughts after a false start about overall drafting. They saved the draft late, but the early part of the draft was as bad as 2012 was good (right now. Still have a lot of hope for Carpenter).

And yes, I'm making that statement relative to our own standards.

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":32jnqznv said:
Dang it, I meant the 2011 *draft* and I apparently erased that word when I was rewriting my thoughts after a false start about overall drafting. They saved the draft late, but the early part of the draft was as bad as 2012 was good (right now. Still have a lot of hope for Carpenter).

Even if you don't count UDFA though, the 2011 draft was still above average. Sherman alone is worth trading a whole draft for, KJ Wright has contributed on basically a fringe 1st round level and Smith has been a quality backup. Byron Maxwell is showing nice signs. You add in the UDFA's, and it's one of the very best drafts that year. Who cares where you hit, it just matters that you did.

kearly

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":lc2qww2j said:
This thread feels a lot like the one when we traded with Philly and Clemons was practically an afterthought.

Just some food for thought.

:13:

Lets see this Sanford guy play before we assume he's just a box of cracker jacks.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":1z9nifx5 said:
Sarlacc83":1z9nifx5 said:

Even if you don't count UDFA though, the 2011 draft was still above average. Sherman alone is worth trading a whole draft for, KJ Wright has contributed on basically a fringe 1st round level and Smith has been a quality backup. Byron Maxwell is showing nice signs. You add in the UDFA's, and it's one of the very best drafts that year. Who cares where you hit, it just matters that you did.

On the one hand, I agree that draft position doesn't matter much when it goes to showing signs on the field, but on the other hand, it's my opinion that the ability to draft deep should come in addition to being able to consistently identify talent in the first round and second round. I do understand it's a lottery, in essence, but at the same time, I feel like our top picks (because of the high standards) should be more Okung and ET and less Irvin and Carpenter.

IDKmyBFFRussell

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":uhikn9z8 said:
kearly":uhikn9z8 said:
Sarlacc83":uhikn9z8 said:

On the one hand, I agree that draft position doesn't matter much when it goes to showing signs on the field, but on the other hand, it's my opinion that the ability to draft deep should come in addition to being able to consistently identify talent in the first round and second round. I do understand it's a lottery, in essence, but at the same time, I feel like our top picks (because of the high standards) should be more Okung and ET and less Irvin and Carpenter.

Agreed.

SeahawkAce

Reaction score
It's not that he is a bust, it's that we have someone playing better at his position. It doesn't matter if Sanford makes the team or not, Moffit wasn't going to make the team. At least you have a couple of weeks to see someone else play at a position where the team has a need and he has a chance if he performs well. It's a win win move. You can't get elite players for your backups, it just doesn't happen.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SeahawkAce":211v0y7x said:
It's not that he is a bust, it's that we have someone playing better at his position. It doesn't matter if Sanford makes the team or not, Moffit wasn't going to make the team. At least you have a couple of weeks to see someone else play at a position where the team has a need and he has a chance if he performs well. It's a win win move. You can't get elite players for your backups, it just doesn't happen.

It's similar to the Kelly Jennings for Clinton McDonald trade.

Jennings was not going to make the team, so they flipped him for a fringe DT just to see if they could get anything out of Jennings before cutting him loose for nothing. McDonald has not been a star, but he's been able to hang on as a depth player for a few years now, while I believe Jennings is done in Cincinnati (I stopped following him after the first year so I may be wrong).

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Starrman44":2djeo9bf said:
Sorry, I'm a Seahawks fan and that means I get sucked into liking these guys and their personalities. I have the utmost confidence in this front office, though, and I hope he goes to Cleveland and does well. I think they also see that he isn't going to get a lot of chances here with the talent we have, Sweezy has a bigger upside and the new guys are doing well.

I will miss him big time on the RRR. I think he's a better football player then folks give him credit for, though, but we'll see.

Now, I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that they don't get rid of Mike Rob. We gotsta have a camera in that locker room. It gets me through the week to Gameday.

:13: I read every post up til this, 'cause it says what I was gonna. I'll miss ya, Moffitt. Thanks, man.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I thought his play was very underrated here on .NET.

I don’t think anyone on .NET would have said much about his play if it weren’t for his clowning around on RRR and his late season benching. He was far better in pass protection than Sweezy last season. That’s the straight up truth. However, this is a team that puts a premium on run-blocking. Sweezy flashed in that area, and Moffitt’s lack of pure athleticism meant he probably didn’t have great upside there. Doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t have won out on a team that put a higher premium on pass protection, where he was clearly better. I don't consider this a big loss considering what we've seen out of Bailey and others, but I thought Moffitt was a solid player and wish him the best.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I will miss him. He just became the first victim of the ridiculous depth on this team. He will not be the last.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seems to me that at one time there was a joke floating around the Locker Room..."You'd better shape up or you'll be sent to Cleveland"! Guess what...it's no longer a joke! ;)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Treefiddy":3ahupw9u said:
Good! Moffitt was horrible and a waste of a roster spot. Hopefully Sanford can make an impact right away.
Drama Queens :cool:

Lithium

Reaction score
I actually have been following the Browns a little bit over the years, (Mainly b/c they drafted my ND guy Brady Quinn) and I think this could be a Clemens 2.0 type trade. Not saying this guy is great but I've always really liked him, and wouldn't be shocked if he excelled in our Defense. So I like the trade

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
drdiags":cjvqcuec said:
Best of luck John. A change of scenery will do him well, since the revelation of the charges in Bellevue put a stain on his image around here. I think he can have a long career as an NFL OL. Good luck Moffitt.
A yellow stain. :lol:

Happypuppy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":343ongg5 said:
I thought his play was very underrated

Not what the stats show

@PFF: New #Browns guard John Moffitt graded at -27.6 on his 997 snaps in his two years in Seattle

CPHawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1fey575z said:
DavidSeven":1fey575z said:
I thought his play was very underrated

Not what the stats show

@PFF: New #Browns guard John Moffitt graded at -27.6 on his 997 snaps in his two years in Seattle

Oline are graded like golf, right? :sarcasm_off:

Status
Not open for further replies.