John Clayton sets the Record Straight

justafan

Reaction score
Fade":ouv96bte said:
chawx":ouv96bte said:
Fade":ouv96bte said:
ivotuk":ouv96bte said:
14 - 10 is "down 2 scores?" And they did throw it in the 4th quarter.

What about the Defense letting the Cowboys chew up clock and score 14 points late?

The Seahawks were down 2 scores in the 4th qtr.

14 to 24.

Clayton arguing that throwing too much at the end of the game is a false correlation and is asinine, especially when they were far more effective throwing the whole night than running.

The defense was gassed because the offense forced the run and continued going 3-'n-out too many times.

First 3 possessions. All 3-'n-outs, 9 plays 5 yards total.

Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and many intelligent football people have admitted, or stated they should've thrown more.

Bro,

When Seattle scored to go up 14-10, our defense then allowed a touchdown on a 9 play 67 yard drive that took 4:31 of clock . 17-14 Cowboys.

Seattle then goes 3 and out on a -1 yard run by Carson (last run play of the game for Seattle) and two throws (5 yards to Baldwin. Incomplete deep to Lockett on 3rd and 6).

Next drive for the Cowboys was the KJ Wright pick in the end zone. Could have been PI. I thought it was okay, but I'm a defense guy and liked how he played it.

Seattle goes 3 and out again on 4 straight short passes (could have been 2nd and 4 on the first throw, but holding was called...). No runs.

Cowboys get the killer drive. Seattle answers. Onside kick sucked. Game.

Can't really blame that Seattle ran it too much when they ran it only once after their TD drive that gave them the 14-10 lead.

The D failed us in the 4th, man. Simple as that. That was the game. The 3 quarters before that when they ran it "too much", they had the lead...was it a 20 point lead and total domination? No. Could they have mixed it up more to have a better lead going into the 4th? Yes! But they ended that game passing it. That's all OP and Clayton are saying...

The D had to deal with the effect.

There was a cause.

Which was the D gassed out. Thanks to the offense going 3-'in-out 6 times, and leaving them on the field for far too long.

I agree the D got worked but stop the run and you get off the field, stop that QB draw and you hold them to a FG. If you want more pass plays, Russ and the O need to convert 3rd and 2, 3rd and 6, and 3rd and 7s. All incompletes. Even reasonable 3rd down distances and they struggled passing. Oline needs to keep runs from being -4 and -7 to keep the offense on schedule. It was a team loss and all sides could have played better. Low hanging fruit is blaming Pete and Schotty. All these things happened because Dallas is a pretty good team and made plays when it mattered.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":3uov0w5c said:
Fade":3uov0w5c said:
chawx":3uov0w5c said:
Fade":3uov0w5c said:
The Seahawks were down 2 scores in the 4th qtr.

14 to 24.

Clayton arguing that throwing too much at the end of the game is a false correlation and is asinine, especially when they were far more effective throwing the whole night than running.

The defense was gassed because the offense forced the run and continued going 3-'n-out too many times.

First 3 possessions. All 3-'n-outs, 9 plays 5 yards total.

Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, and many intelligent football people have admitted, or stated they should've thrown more.

Bro,

When Seattle scored to go up 14-10, our defense then allowed a touchdown on a 9 play 67 yard drive that took 4:31 of clock . 17-14 Cowboys.

Seattle then goes 3 and out on a -1 yard run by Carson (last run play of the game for Seattle) and two throws (5 yards to Baldwin. Incomplete deep to Lockett on 3rd and 6).

Next drive for the Cowboys was the KJ Wright pick in the end zone. Could have been PI. I thought it was okay, but I'm a defense guy and liked how he played it.

Seattle goes 3 and out again on 4 straight short passes (could have been 2nd and 4 on the first throw, but holding was called...). No runs.

Can't really blame that Seattle ran it too much when they ran it only once after their TD drive that gave them the 14-10 lead.

The D failed us in the 4th, man. Simple as that. That was the game. The 3 quarters before that when they ran it "too much", they had the lead...was it a 20 point lead and total domination? No. Could they have mixed it up more to have a better lead going into the 4th? Yes! But they ended that game passing it. That's all OP and Clayton are saying...

There was a cause.

Which was the D gassed out. Thanks to the offense going 3-'in-out 6 times, and leaving them on the field for far too long.

I agree the D got worked but stop the run and you get off the field, stop that QB sneek and you hold them to a FG. If you want more pass plays, Russ and the O need to convert 3rd and 2, 3rd and 6, and 3rd and 7s. All incompletes. Even reasonable 3rd down distances and they struggled passing. Oline needs to keep runs from being -4 and -7 to keep the offense on schedule. It was a team loss and all sides could have played better. Low hanging fruit is blaming Pete and Schotty. All these things happened because Dallas is a pretty good team and made plays when it mattered.

NO long hanging fruit is ignoring the obvious and factual bad play calling. 3 straight 3 and outs run, run , long 3rd punt, we hung the defense out to dry.

First 3 drives were run, run, lonf 3rd and punt

Lets see first drive we throw first we score, hmm more over we threw and got it to the 12 only to go run, run , pass again and a FG

2nd scoring drive, pass first we move it, then we lose yards on a run and stall FG

Next drive start with pass results in missed fg, we had to do to out of time. Half time

First series after half time run, run, long 3rd down punt HMm a theme

next series hey we pass, and move it, then a run for a -7 yards loss, 3rd and 17 punt HMM, but atl east we moved it and ws not a 3 and out

Next series we do run first, gain 3, then run and nothing, run and 2, so on 4th we go for it and make it passing HMM. SO if we did not go for in on 4th would have been another great run led drive that would have been 3 and out. Also guess what we score on a run but Wilsons. So once again the run outside of our QB failed.

Next series run, -1, 2nd and long gained 5 on a pass, 3rd and long nope punt. However once again the run puts us behind, as it did pretty much all game

next series start with a pass yeah, but a penalty 1st and 20, and a punt.

Next series we start with a pass and score

After the first 3, 3 and outs running they should have adjusted, we did not. until it was too late. Simple 1.9 ypc (-minus qb) rushing 8.9 passing enough said

Jville

Reaction score
There are so many pregame considerations that factor into the assembly of a game plan as well as how it plays out on game day. I've come to the resignation that it really takes a team of seasoned professionals to sort it all out.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1080962454782263296[/tweet]

....................................... the rest of us are resigned to speculation.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
This is the literal definition of being determined to prove a point, and completely ignoring contrary evidence. He didn’t set the record straight. Now if he wanted to have a fair conversation to justify the playcalling we can have that, even if I’d still likely disagree

RCATES":2y4vzh9g said:
This article has no place on a forum that believes RW is god and can do no wrong. It doesn't matter if it Schotty or Bevell there's still one common denominator. RW

You guys actually believe that a guy who spends 100's of hours studying game film and trying to scheme up ways to win is actually holding Wilson back? Like Bevell he's simply calling the game to Wilson's strength's. A empty backfield with Wilson in shotgun is not it. Take away the threat of the run and Wilson's effectiveness drops off a cliff. It's who he is and I'm ok with that.

Here’s a tip for folks like yourself who are whining because people don’t agree with your ridiculously slanted, biased, over the top dogmatic criticism of Russell Wilson. Actually be willing to take the facts as they come.

In other words, if someone points out that certain calls by coaches were made, dispute that directly. And for credibility’s sake, actually be willing to critique it. Something tells me that if Matt Ryan or Stafford was our QB, your criticism would be far less harsh no matter what they do. There is simply no logical reason or consistency to your anti-Russ antics.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":349qr9sm said:
justafan":349qr9sm said:
Fade":349qr9sm said:
chawx":349qr9sm said:
Bro,

There was a cause.

I agree the D got worked but stop the run and you get off the field, stop that QB sneek and you hold them to a FG. If you want more pass plays, Russ and the O need to convert 3rd and 2, 3rd and 6, and 3rd and 7s. All incompletes. Even reasonable 3rd down distances and they struggled passing. Oline needs to keep runs from being -4 and -7 to keep the offense on schedule. It was a team loss and all sides could have played better. Low hanging fruit is blaming Pete and Schotty. All these things happened because Dallas is a pretty good team and made plays when it mattered.

NO long hanging fruit is ignoring the obvious and factual bad play calling. 3 straight 3 and outs run, run , long 3rd punt, we hung the defense out to dry.

Lets see first drive we throw first we score, hmm more over we threw and got it to the 12 only to go run, run , pass again and a FG

2nd scoring drive, pass first we move it, then we lose yards on a run and stall FG

Next drive start with pass results in missed fg, we had to do to out of time. Half time

next series hey we pass, and move it, then a run for a -7 yards loss, 3rd and 17 punt HMM, but atl east we moved it and ws not a 3 and out

Next series we do run first, gain 3, then run and nothing, run and 2, so on 4th we go for it and make it passing HMM. SO if we did not go for in on 4th would have been another great run led drive that would have been 3 and out. Also guess what we score on a run but Wilsons. So once again the run outside of our QB failed.

Next series run, -1, 2nd and long gained 5 on a pass, 3rd and long nope punt. However once again the run puts us behind, as it did pretty much all game

After the first 3, 3 and outs running they should have adjusted, we did not. until it was too late. Simple 1.9 ypc (-minus qb) rushing 8.9 passing enough said

I dont buy all the bad play calls is the problem posts.. We will just disagree on that. Now if you can convince me Wilson didnt miss audibles,oline didnt miss blocks or line calls,WRs didnt blow option routes, or breakdowns in execution didnt contribute to 3 for whatever 3rd down conversion rate I will listen.

If you can explain why 26 carries for 5.3 yds a carry isnt a major reason we lost we can have a conversation or 1 sack,blowing coverages or letting a 3rd and 14 QB draws wasnt a big reason we lost we can talk.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":8ov1v041 said:
John63":8ov1v041 said:
justafan":8ov1v041 said:
Fade":8ov1v041 said:

There was a cause.

I dont buy all the bad play calls is the problem posts.. We will just disagree on that. Now if you can convince me Wilson didnt miss audibles,oline didnt miss blocks or line calls,WRs didnt blow option routes, or breakdowns in execution didnt contribute to 3 for whatever 3rd down conversion rate I will listen.

If you can explain why 26 carries for 5.3 yds a carry isnt a major reason we lost we can have a conversation or 1 sack,blowing coverages or letting a 3rd and 14 QB draws wasnt a big reason we lost we can talk.

So, in other words, you really don't want to even entertain the idea the play calling was an issue. Got you okay prove it was not play calling/design? Also remember PC already admitted it was.

The reality is it was probably a bit of everything, injuries, bad play calling/design, misses assignments, etc. My issue is, you and others want to ignore the obvious fact the play calling and design were bad. To me considering we had injuries on offense and defense they were the biggest factor, and moreover not even so much as the play calling and design but the lack of adjustments till it was too late. I Can forgive the oline becasue3 of injuries, I can forgive DBs injuries. Can't forgive play calling/design and lack of adjustments unless they had a lobotomy all of a sudden.

from PC "Pete Carroll, On @710ESPNSeattle, when delivered the narrative that if the run game wasn’t working versus Dallas then he should have thrown it more: “I don’t disagree with that.” "

Enough said

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Wilson is not always allowed to audible. That much should be clear after watching the Seahawks for 7 years, especially when Pete wants to stick to a game plan. Pete is a control freak, that should be pretty obvious

mrt144

Reaction score
Scorpion05":ztj0pn6f said:
Wilson is not always allowed to audible. That much should be clear after watching the Seahawks for 7 years, especially when Pete wants to stick to a game plan. Pete is a control freak, that should be pretty obvious

He's also not a cowboy. I have said this numerous times, but if you had to pick one player in the NFL least likely to go off of what his coach wants, you'd have a hard time not putting RW in the top 3. This idea that Russ would willingly and consciously operate out of design before the snap is bananas. After the snap, well yeah, he does.

justafan

Reaction score
John63":3ukkrjvj said:
justafan":3ukkrjvj said:
John63":3ukkrjvj said:
justafan":3ukkrjvj said:

So, in other words, you really don't want to even entertain the idea the play calling was an issue. Got you okay prove it was not? Also remember PC already admitted it was.

There were calls I questioned. But I also saw that Dallas was a more talented team with home field advantage and IMO coaching was the main reason we were even there. None of us have the inside knowledge to dig deeper into the behind the scenes on playcalls .Thats my point.

We dont know why or if RW did or didnt call audibles or if a WR off the view of television was open and wasnt thrown to. I did see our Oline get ragdolled.I did see their Oline and Zeke beat the crap out of our front seven.To me that was the game.

PC is a class act who is always positive and takes blame.

mrt144

Reaction score
justafan":2ttlyojg said:
John63":2ttlyojg said:
justafan":2ttlyojg said:
John63":2ttlyojg said:

So, in other words, you really don't want to even entertain the idea the play calling was an issue. Got you okay prove it was not? Also remember PC already admitted it was.

There were calls I questioned. But I also saw that Dallas was a more talented team with home field advantage and IMO coaching was the main reason we were even there. None of us have the inside knowledge to dig deeper into the behind the scenes on playcalls .Thats my point.

We dont know why or if RW did or didnt call audibles or if a WR off the view of television was open and wasnt thrown to. I did see our Oline get ragdolled.I did see their Oline and Zeke beat the crap out of our front seven.To me that was the game.

Do we need inside knowledge to dig deeper into what we ostensibly saw being ineffective and repeated? The veil of how the NFL sausage is only so thin when their product exists to be seen fully by everyone and replayed over and over again and analyzed on the spot, then hours later then weeks later. We don't need the full scope of why something was done to see the impact of what was done.

If coaches don't want to explain why they did what they did in full detail for fans, that's their prerogative. But leavin the people, whose focus for 3 hours at a time is on the discrete calls you make and the execution of those calls, in the dark and then holding that darkness over them as the impenetrable shroud against criticism...cmon. Coaches are begging us to ask them why and explain themselves by virtue of being the conductor of their team in a nationally televised sporting event.

I'm surprised more coaches don't explain stuff, even as a last ditch ass saving measure. Like, no coach is so good with their esoteric insights that whatever they reveal could be used against them. Even with a cursory answer as to why, it would likely be basic enough that any opposing team or coach already knew about it somewhat before the game and more so as the game progressed and certainly afterward in autopsy. The why of sticking to the run, inside run especially, when it was not doing the damn thing shouldn't be such a secret that your team would collapse if it got out. And if it is...jesus, that's terrible.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Clayton didn’t set anything “straight”.

He voiced his opinion, and spun it to meet his narrative.

Makes me wonder if he watched the game.

Seymour

Reaction score
justafan":1z9143j9 said:
John63":1z9143j9 said:
justafan":1z9143j9 said:
John63":1z9143j9 said:

Truth

Seymour

Reaction score
pmedic920":2b5z3c9x said:
Clayton didn’t set anything “straight”.

He voiced his opinion, and spun it to meet his narrative.

Makes me wonder if he watched the game.

Another truth!

D

DomeHawk

John63":2otvzuyx said:
ivotuk":2otvzuyx said:
In the Seattle - Dallas game, the Seahawks threw 27 times, and ran 24 times. More passes than throws.

John Clayton: "The score late in the 3rd Quarter was Seattle 14, Dallas 10, correct?" [Brock & Salk] "Correct"

John Clayton: "How many running plays did they have after that?! One! They passed the ball!"

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... k+and+Salk

First, there was 5 minutes to go in the 3rd when this score happened. They ran only 14 plays the rest of the game. So let's look at that. Wilson threw it 10 times. So that means in 20 minutes of the game he threw 13 passes. Penalties killed two of the 3 drives and the one it did not we scored on. That means in the other 40 minutes he threw it 14 times. So what does that tell you? It tells you they only through when they had to for 40 minutes, by then our defense had been on the field 60% of the time. They waited too long to open it up period. If they did it earlier maybe there would not have been a 10-minute difference in time of possession. Let's look at our first 3 possessions run, run, 3rd and long punt. There you have it. The reality is we waited too late to let it loose

Thread winner indeed!

Honest to gawd, it was the most asinine decision I have seen since the Super Bowl debacle!

(and, it brought it all back for me)

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":2zhnrqm0 said:
justafan":2zhnrqm0 said:
John63":2zhnrqm0 said:
justafan":2zhnrqm0 said:

Truth

I don't disagree with any of that but that does not change the fact that when one thing is not working you go to another and we waited too long, Wen went into the game with 2 hurt olineman and 2 hurt DBs. We went into the game with only one real advantage QB and what did we do with our one advantage we hid from it till it was too late. And despite all this other stuff you guys want to use, the fact still remains when we finally did unleash our QB we scored, so why not do it earlier. You know like they did in Carolina. We could not run, we let Wilson loose and by qtr4 we could run. Simple logic, cant run cause they got 8 in the box, throw, when they move to cover that then the run would open up. We just waited to long to do it, adn PC admitted it

Smellyman

Reaction score
justafan":w3vw1bvy said:
John63":w3vw1bvy said:
justafan":w3vw1bvy said:
Fade":w3vw1bvy said:

There was a cause.

So you want to debate imaginary narratives, but not the actual plays and game?

unbelievable.

justafan

Reaction score
Smellyman":szdslp7q said:
justafan":szdslp7q said:
John63":szdslp7q said:
justafan":szdslp7q said:

unbelievable.

I just have a different opinion. Thats all. I see a team getting physically dominated at the los on offense and defense the actual playcall doesnt bother me. The opposing team was more physical in the trenches and that is what lost the game IMO.

John63

Reaction score
justafan":36089kst said:
Smellyman":36089kst said:
justafan":36089kst said:
John63":36089kst said:

unbelievable.

I just have a different opinion. Thats all. I see a team getting physically dominated at the los on offense and defense the actual playcall doesnt bother me. The opposing team was more physical in the trenches and that is what lost the game IMO.

Ahh so you gave up, you do not think they should have tried anything different, Hey we are a run first team, we can't run lets just loose. Once again you refuse to see the point the few times they mixed it up we moved the ball and score. Last I checked the idea is to win, not give up, or say they are beating us up. You make adjustments when they work you stick with them. PC already said they should have thrown more, so that tells you the play calling was bad. It's not a difference of opinion it is fact against fiction as the play when passing more as opposed to running factually proved that we should have passed more earlier.

mikeak

Reaction score
It is a false narrative

We took the lead 14-10

Then Dallas scored

Then we got the ball back

Zero possessions for Seahawks leading 14-10

Furthermore the FIRST PLAY when we got the ball back?

NEGATIVE RUN FOR ONE YARD BACKWARDS.

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":3kgx7djn said:
Ahh so you gave up, you do not think they should have tried anything different, Hey we are a run first team, we can't run lets just loose.
Do you think this is anybody's real opinion?