John Clayton - Seahawks should sign Vernon Adams

chris98251

Reaction score
pehawk":1oh3ne7x said:
Heard Adams already got hurt...

So injured reserve stash maybe ................ Let him get in NFL shape and learn some stuff, not unreasonable to have happen to hedge your bets going forward.

pehawk

Reaction score
Wasn't a big injury but Heaps ended up taking majority of 2nd team reps.

HawkGA

Reaction score
v1rotv2":z0dcvb9d said:
This will probably sound real stupid but it would not hurt my feelings if Jackson stayed gone and we kept both rookies.

I think it's one of those "has to happen eventually things" so if it happened now because there was a good prospect of two to be a backup QB, might as well do it now.

Rob12

Reaction score
pehawk":2kybbqw6 said:
Wasn't a big injury but Heaps ended up taking majority of 2nd team reps.

Link on this?

If true, it just feeds into the narrative. I don't understand how this kid only got two invites to rookie mini-camp from two teams. He has tools.

If he's getting hurt without pads, it might explain a lot...

footstepsfrom#27

Reaction score
Hawks46":pk9z1rvt said:
JSeahawks":pk9z1rvt said:
kearly":pk9z1rvt said:
I hope to see Adams in a Seahawks preseason game. If they do decline to sign him, I hope they have a reason other than "he's short." I trust the FO, but I do find the league wide caution with Adams to be very hard to understand.

With Ifedi, it's pretty cool to have a RG with Okung tools.

The RBs will be fun to track this preseason.

I wonder how different perception of VA would be if he hadnt broken his finger on a cheap shot first game if the season. He really needed to prove he could stay healthy.

I know one thing for sure, in shorts and t'shirt he can throw the ball as well as anyone on the seahawks roster, including Wilson.

Well I know he seems to have that "it" factor, but he's slower than both RW and Boykin, and has a smaller frame than both. He's a winner though, and that's one thing you can't teach. That and he's stayed out of trouble and Boykin hasn't. Either seem like a good option, and I can see us keeping both into TC. Roster starts out at like 90 into TC doesn't it ? There's room to carry both and figure it out.
Im a Bronco fan who just came over to talk about Boykins so I have no dog in the fight but I hope you hear what I'm gonne say because I live a half hour from TCU and although I'm no Frogs fan, I'm a huge Boykins fan. I've been watching him since his Jr. year in HS and two things I can assure you; 1) Boykins is a great kid, and 2) He is far superior to Adams.

Don't buy the media crap denigrating this guy because of one mistake. Jamis Winston did far worse stuff at FSU and he went #1 overall. Boykins grew up in a cesspool of crime, drugs and gang violence on the very worst streets of the war zone called Pleasant Grove in South Dallas. There's nothing pleasant about "the Grove" believe me, and he has a spotless record up till the bar incident. The fact that Trevone Boykins has never been in trouble before that bar fight speaks to the fact that long before that night this kid has years of making good choices. If he didn't he'd be dead or in prison now.

This was a really poor QB draft and in terms of the risk factor relevant to where they were drafted vs their talent and potential, this was the best QB in the draft. Understand what I'm saying. Drafting a QB isn't like any other position because taking one high carries a huge risk if he fails. In most drafts including last year's, Goff and Wentz would have gone in the middle of the first round, not at the top. They therefore represent a huge risk. Their coaches will rise or fall on their fortunes. This is obviously not true for a late round guy or UDFA. Therefore I say this was the best value guy at the position relative to risk.

If you look at three factors that indicate NFL potential no QB in this draft compares to him.

1) College stats and production: Boykins last two seasons were at the top of all of college football
2) Value to his team: Nobody did more with less surrounding talent. He took TCU from dog crap to the #3 national ranking and doubled their ppg scoring in 2014 with very little help.
3) NFL skill set: Boykins has an NFL caliber arm and he can make all the throws. He throws a good deep ball. He throws with touch and on the run and his accuracy is better than he gets credit for. But where he shines is with the ball in his hands as a play action passer with the ability to escape pressure and make plays when the play breaks down. This kid is ridiculous moving around and making people miss. Boykins is much faster than his combine 40 indicates because he probably ran on a bad ankle. In Texas at W.Mesquite HS he ran 4.5 forty and 11.1 in the 100 meters, 7th in the state in a place loaded with track stars, and he has elite quickness and moves that even Russel Wikson doesn't have. He's an escape artist who makes defenders look like idiots trying to track him down.

He will obviously need to sit and learn and especially learn to read NFL defenses. So will Jarod Goff. He played in the exact same offense as Boykins did at Cal. Boykins has a better arm than Goff. He's a far better athlete and the only reason Goff doesn't get criticized for the system he played in is because he can't run. Goff fits the NFL stereotype of tall pocket passers but not only did he have less responsibility in Cal's offense, he was nowhere close to producing the impact for his team that Boykins did. Goff's only job at Cal was checking where to throw the ball by what the defense indicated would work. Boykins was also responsible for checking to a run or pass because he was usually the first run option. Both guys played in the so called Air Raid offense (Cal called in the "Bear Raid") but Goff was a system QB while Boykins WAS the system. Since one cost a kings ransom and one cost nothing, you guys got a flat out steal.

On the one hand it's great that Boykins gets to sit behind Wilson, but he won't be working his magic in Seattle. Boykins will move on like Tyrod Taylor when his rookie deal is up. Had Denver not taken Lynch (who also played in the spread) this is the guy I wanted as a 6th round developmental prospect. I think he will be as good if not better than Taylor.

NYCoug

Reaction score
footstepsfrom#27":3eaf920a said:
Hawks46":3eaf920a said:
JSeahawks":3eaf920a said:
kearly":3eaf920a said:
I hope to see Adams in a Seahawks preseason game. If they do decline to sign him, I hope they have a reason other than "he's short." I trust the FO, but I do find the league wide caution with Adams to be very hard to understand.

I wonder how different perception of VA would be if he hadnt broken his finger on a cheap shot first game if the season. He really needed to prove he could stay healthy.

I know one thing for sure, in shorts and t'shirt he can throw the ball as well as anyone on the seahawks roster, including Wilson.

Well I know he seems to have that "it" factor, but he's slower than both RW and Boykin, and has a smaller frame than both. He's a winner though, and that's one thing you can't teach. That and he's stayed out of trouble and Boykin hasn't. Either seem like a good option, and I can see us keeping both into TC. Roster starts out at like 90 into TC doesn't it ? There's room to carry both and figure it out.
Im a Bronco fan who just came over to talk about Boykins so I have no dog in the fight but I hope you hear what I'm gonne say because I live a half hour from TCU and although I'm no Frogs fan, I'm a huge Boykins fan. I've been watching him since his Jr. year in HS and two things I can assure you; 1) Boykins is a great kid, and 2) He is far superior to Adams.

Don't buy the media crap denigrating this guy because of one mistake. Jamis Winston did far worse stuff at FSU and he went #1 overall. Boykins grew up in a cesspool of crime, drugs and gang violence on the very worst streets of the war zone called Pleasant Grove in South Dallas. There's nothing pleasant about "the Grove" believe me, and he has a spotless record up till the bar incident. The fact that Trevone Boykins has never been in trouble before that bar fight speaks to the fact that long before that night this kid has years of making good choices. If he didn't he'd be dead or in prison now.

This was a really poor QB draft and in terms of the risk factor relevant to where they were drafted vs their talent and potential, this was the best QB in the draft. Understand what I'm saying. Drafting a QB isn't like any other position because taking one high carries a huge risk if he fails. In most drafts including last year's, Goff and Wentz would have gone in the middle of the first round, not at the top. They therefore represent a huge risk. Their coaches will rise or fall on their fortunes. This is obviously not true for a late round guy or UDFA. Therefore I say this was the best value guy at the position relative to risk.

If you look at three factors that indicate NFL potential no QB in this draft compares to him.

1) College stats and production: Boykins last two seasons were at the top of all of college football
2) Value to his team: Nobody did more with less surrounding talent. He took TCU from dog crap to the #3 national ranking and doubled their ppg scoring in 2014 with very little help.
3) NFL skill set: Boykins has an NFL caliber arm and he can make all the throws. He throws a good deep ball. He throws with touch and on the run and his accuracy is better than he gets credit for. But where he shines is with the ball in his hands as a play action passer with the ability to escape pressure and make plays when the play breaks down. This kid is ridiculous moving around and making people miss. Boykins is much faster than his combine 40 indicates because he probably ran on a bad ankle. In Texas at W.Mesquite HS he ran 4.5 forty and 11.1 in the 100 meters, 7th in the state in a place loaded with track stars, and he has elite quickness and moves that even Russel Wikson doesn't have. He's an escape artist who makes defenders look like idiots trying to track him down.

He will obviously need to sit and learn and especially learn to read NFL defenses. So will Jarod Goff. He played in the exact same offense as Boykins did at Cal. Boykins has a better arm than Goff. He's a far better athlete and the only reason Goff doesn't get criticized for the system he played in is because he can't run. Goff fits the NFL stereotype of tall pocket passers but not only did he have less responsibility in Cal's offense, he was nowhere close to producing the impact for his team that Boykins did. Goff's only job at Cal was checking where to throw the ball by what the defense indicated would work. Boykins was also responsible for checking to a run or pass because he was usually the first run option. Both guys played in the so called Air Raid offense (Cal called in the "Bear Raid") but Goff was a system QB while Boykins WAS the system. Since one cost a kings ransom and one cost nothing, you guys got a flat out steal.

On the one hand it's great that Boykins gets to sit behind Wilson, but he won't be working his magic in Seattle. Boykins will move on like Tyrod Taylor when his rookie deal is up. Had Denver not taken Lynch (who also played in the spread) this is the guy I wanted as a 6th round developmental prospect. I think he will be as good if not better than Taylor.

giphy.gif

Smellyman

Reaction score
footstepsfrom#27":18lpkjnh said:
Hawks46":18lpkjnh said:
JSeahawks":18lpkjnh said:
kearly":18lpkjnh said:

On the one hand it's great that Boykins gets to sit behind Wilson, but he won't be working his magic in Seattle. Boykins will move on like Tyrod Taylor when his rookie deal is up. Had Denver not taken Lynch (who also played in the spread) this is the guy I wanted as a 6th round developmental prospect. I think he will be as good if not better than Taylor.[/quote]

Good post, but time will tell if he is 'far superior to Adams'. Adams dominated FBS D's in tiny EWU. Then went to Oregon and they were great with him at the helm and not so much when he had to sit with the fractured finger.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I found it somewhat interesting that they signed Heaps over Adams. I'd rather they had signed Adams and gave a tryout to Heaps. But maybe it's an Adams or Boykin situation. They are only going to go with one of the two.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Adams and Boykin are competing for the develpmental/practice squad spot and will be extra arms in camp. Tarvaris will be the backup, a role he's best equipped to handle than any available QB out there

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":11rbjj52 said:
Adams and Boykin are competing for the develpmental/practice squad spot and will be extra arms in camp. Tarvaris will be the backup, a role he's best equipped to handle than any available QB out there

He is getting older, perhaps it is time to develop the backup of the future.

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't want three of the same types of QB's, Heap is a good traditional type if we need him to be that, you need a scout team QB that emulates other teams QB's well. Boykin can fill the 2nd QB roll as a player that resembles Wilson with little to no change in system, scheme or techniques used.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3huayqng said:
Siouxhawk":3huayqng said:

Sure, on the practice squad. The real backup is already developed and will be back on the roster in a month.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I would rather not resign TJack. We can go cheaper and with similar results by letting the rooks duke it out.

With our defense we should be able to carry a young qb for a few games. If Wilson misses more than that our season is likely screwed no matter who the backup qb is.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2ri2o8i9 said:
Scottemojo":2ri2o8i9 said:
Siouxhawk":2ri2o8i9 said:

Sure, on the practice squad. The real backup is already developed and will be back on the roster in a month.
In 2011, did you spend any time on a Bills board? Asking for a (Bills) friend.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":17auxm1m said:
I would rather not resign TJack. We can go cheaper and with similar results by letting the rooks duke it out.

With our defense we should be able to carry a young qb for a few games. If Wilson misses more than that our season is likely screwed no matter who the backup qb is.

And I'll respectively disagree with you. With the solidness of our team as a whole, Tarvaris' veteran presence and knowledge of our system would be a much safer bet of keeping the team stable than a wide-eyed rookie. Boykin and Adams go at it in OTAs, minicamp and early training camp for the practice squad and you'll also have your backup for the future.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2tn0b49e said:
Tech Worlds":2tn0b49e said:

And I'll respectively disagree with you. With the solidness of our team as a whole, Tarvaris' veteran presence and knowledge of our system would be a much safer bet of keeping the team stable than a wide-eyed rookie. Boykin and Adams go at it in OTAs, minicamp and early training camp for the practice squad and you'll also have your backup for the future.
I respectfully disagree with you as you are wrong. I watched TJack play starting qb the year before Russell got here. We had a great young defense and a nasty running game. The table was set. We just needed competent qb play. What we got was a qb that couldn't get us to 500.

It's no coincidence that once we got competent qb play that our team made the playoffs.

I think a rookie with the moxie of Bokins (sp) will be good enough to be a backup.