JJ McCarthy mindset and off the field clips

12forlife

Reaction score
not being dismissive at all, look at it from a logical GM's standpoint. Who is going to risk starting a kid who has never shown the ability to carry an offense with his arm? If he's taken in the top 15 that will be the expectation. He doesn't have ton of reps either as a Junior. He's a big gamble as a top 15 pick coming out of a run first offense.
Dude we get it you don't believe in JJ for whatever reason? Any & every player drafted are 50/50 if they are an NFL player or JAG? I will add that alot of it is if players make it or not has to due with what's between their ears, and the players drive/desire to be great, JJ has that covered.

WarHawks

Reaction score
not being dismissive at all, look at it from a logical GM's standpoint. Who is going to risk starting a kid who has never shown the ability to carry an offense with his arm? If he's taken in the top 15 that will be the expectation. He doesn't have ton of reps either as a Junior. He's a big gamble as a top 15 pick coming out of a run first offense.
Never? He threw three td's against Washington just as one example. He's 21. He'll grow into that role. You're not drafting him because of a long history of carrying a team. If that were the case, he'd be the #1 or #2 pick, which he likely would be if he stayed in college. You're drafting him based on the totality of the traits he has proven that he has, and will grow into over time. If Penix or Nix are taken at 8, 12 or 15, and JJ is still there at 16, I think it would be a huge mistake to pass on him. I'm still haunted by the Blazers passing on Jordan and picking Bowie, and taking Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. Huge mistakes that they never recovered from. Sometimes the player you don't pick is the biggest mistake you ever make. Would love to know what the scouts think.

Last edited:

DirectMessage

Reaction score
JJ or Bo Nix would be a good draft for the hawks. JJ kind of sounds like Russ, but taller and from a powerhouse program. Bo Nix sounds like he would fit into Grubb's philosophy with slinging the ball around and being mobile.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The main difference being the hit rate after the top half of the 1st round falls off a cliff.

WarHawks

Reaction score
QB success rate top 12 picks: 21 of 40 (52.5%)

Taken 13th or later in first round

Success rate 4 of 19 (21%)

GemCity

Reaction score
I prefer building from the trenches out….as others have mentioned.

But if JS snatches him up at 16, I would certainly not be mad. I believe the next QB that we snatch up via the draft WILL be a franchise guy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
QB success rate top 12 picks: 21 of 40 (52.5%)

Taken 13th or later in first round

Success rate 4 of 19 (21%)
I'm not talking about the FIRST ROUND. I'm talking about 2nd round and later. SEVERAL guys have had very good careers being drafted after the 1st round.
I literally said AFTER THE FIRST ROUND. Come on man.

GemCity

Reaction score
I'm not talking about the FIRST ROUND. I'm talking about 2nd round and later. SEVERAL guys have had very good careers being drafted after the 1st round.
You guys are going at it like brothers.

Oh wait….both ‘Hawk’s. 😂😂

12forlife

Reaction score
Man this is the kind of thinking that ends with you being the next Browns!
This draft is different then any draft over the last decade with having so many prospects available, and with possible elite QB talent. So yes some very good QB prospects in this draft will go 10-50. Stop thinking your getting a mid/late round QBOTF. When it counted 7-8 QB's in the playoffs were 1st rd picks. Results don't lie man.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You don't get to tell me how to think. This team can trade down and get a good QB late 1st or in the 2nd round. You don't need to agree with my opinion, and that's cool. I truly don't care.
And YET AGAIN, I have to say it slowly. I NEVER ONCE said they can get the QBOTF in the mid to late Rounds. They can get someone Late 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round (assuming they trade down in the 1st)

DirectMessage

Reaction score

Didn't Seattle have a Superbowl winning QB that was drafted after the first round? 😂 The system is probably more important than where draft.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Never? He threw three td's against Washington just as one example. He's 21. He'll grow into that role. You're not drafting him because of a long history of carrying a team. If that were the case, he'd be the #1 or #2 pick, which he likely would be if he stayed in college. You're drafting him based on the totality of the traits he has proven that he has, and will grow into over time. If Penix or Nix are taken at 8, 12 or 15, and JJ is still there at 16, I think it would be a huge mistake to pass on him. I'm still haunted by the Blazers passing on Jordan and picking Bowie, and taking Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. Huge mistakes that they never recovered from. Sometimes the player you don't pick is the biggest mistake you ever make. Would love to know what the scouts think.
there's a lot to like about him. He's the exact opposite of a Kyler Murray, the kid has all the intangibles you look for. He needs to go in the 2nd round to a place with a QB whisperer coach not tossed to the wolves on a shit team that will ruin him.

12forlife

Reaction score
You don't get to tell me how to think. This team can trade down and get a good QB late 1st or in the 2nd round. You don't need to agree with my opinion, and that's cool. I truly don't care.
And YET AGAIN, I have to say it slowly. I NEVER ONCE said they can get the QBOTF in the mid to late Rounds. They can get someone Late 1st or somewhere in the 2nd round (assuming they trade down in the 1st)
Now not telling you how to think at all. Just simply responding to your post you specifically quoted 2nd round and later, and even in bold letters as if your yelling it? So please get your ducks in a row , before ya start firing at me sir!