JJ McCarthy mindset and off the field clips

Chevy

Reaction score
Here are a few clips of JJ off the field and his mind set.

I like how in this video below, JJ just rode out his teammate messing with him during the interview. He seems like just one of the guys. He seems mature beyond his years. He, as of today, looks like a QB worth trading up for in the draft.

Here is McCarthy reference to David Goggins (former Navy Seal, and has great mental videos).

WarHawks

Reaction score
Great stuff. I love his cerebral approach and commitment to it at such a young age. I've seen mocks now that have him going #8 to Atlanta. He may be out of our reach, dammit.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
I have a hunch McCarthy has a higher ceiling as a pro than many of the QBs in the current class. It's primarily because of his mental and character qualities, along with his athletic abilities. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Seahawks drafted him at 16.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seems pretty early. But we shall see.
This team needs to build in the trenches first, imo. Byron Murphy would be a hell of a lot better choice at 16, imo.
Or Fautanu from UW. Build from the inside out. They can get a good QB later than 16.

toffee

Reaction score
A few thoughts:
  1. JJ is listed at 6'3" and 202 lbs, can his slim built handle NFL? But then, at his combine, Tom Brady was 6' 4 3/8" and 211 lbs, even slimmer?
  2. Channeling John Schneider, JJ came from a two parent family.
  3. JJ was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school.
  4. Plenty of fire in the belly, see below on his relationship with Ohio State, and how he never lost to OSH :)
  5. Can't wait to see how he performs at his combine.
For 5-star 2021 quarterback and Michigan commit J.J. McCarthy, he grew up loving Ohio State, but that love is now gone.

“I used to love them, now I want to kill them,” McCarthy told The Athletic.

The animosity began after Ohio State coach Ryan Day told McCarthy that they wouldn’t be taking a quarterback until the end of summer.

“Coach Day told me he wasn’t going to take (a 2021 quarterback) until the end of summer or anything like that because he wanted to make sure everything was all good, so I didn’t really worry about all that during my visit,” McCarthy said. “But I didn’t get that feeling when I was there. I really didn’t, with all the coaches there and how they interacted with us, I didn’t feel the big family tradition part of it. It was either you’re good at football or you’re over here. That’s what I felt.”

In short, McCarthy felt like Day lied to him.

12forlife

Reaction score
I agree, we need to add to our trenches. But damnit I just get that feeling every time I hear him talk, that's exactly who I want in our post game press conferences. Kid is just a natural leader. Shoot watch any game after every touchdown he is praising the Oline! Plus he is only 21, with no injury history? Could be our QB for the next 15 years, especially with how he is already taking care of his body Bradyesk. I see & understand his places to work on & refine, but dang it his intangibles @ 21 are to much to pass on imo.

toffee

Reaction score
I agree, we need to add to our trenches. But damnit I just get that feeling every time I hear him talk, that's exactly who I want in our post game press conferences. Kid is just a natural leader. Shoot watch any game after every touchdown he is praising the Oline! Plus he is only 21, with no injury history? Could be our QB for the next 15 years, especially with how he is already taking care of his body Bradyesk. I see & understand his places to work on & refine, but dang it his intangibles @ 21 are to much to pass on imo.
On the other hand, I read that his arm strength wasn't great, that said, Joe Montana slipped to third round because of his arm strength or lack off.

Talking about Joe Montana, Walsh drafted on Joe's footwork and poise u der fire. JJ? His stats under pressure wasn't good.

Boycie

Reaction score
A few thoughts:
  1. JJ is listed at 6'3" and 202 lbs, can his slim built handle NFL? But then, at his combine, Tom Brady was 6' 4 3/8" and 211 lbs, even slimmer?
  2. Channeling John Schneider, JJ came from a two parent family.
  3. JJ was a 5 star recruit coming out of high school.
  4. Plenty of fire in the belly, see below on his relationship with Ohio State, and how he never lost to OSH :)
  5. Can't wait to see how he performs at his combine.
The thing that has me on the JJ train is that he is only 21. He will fill out and get that man body soon enough.

WarHawks

Reaction score
This. He just screams young Tom Brady to me.

And I agree, we need to build our trenches, but if the right qb comes along (and that's the big IF), you have to try to get him. You have to. The right qb is the cornerstone the team is built on. Just imagine where we'd be if JS had convinced Pete to go after Mahomes. Lost opportunities can take years to line up again. Again, IF he's the right qb. We have no idea what JS & MM think. Yet.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
True, but unless we decide to tank to get a top pick, we probably won't have the luxury of waiting. Picking a long term project may be the only way we can get The Guy, unless we get really lucky like we did with Wilson. But even then, he really was too short, and it did hurt his long term development and our play design.

toffee

Reaction score
Very similar makeup. I'm not saying he will be of course, but the similarities are hard to ignore.
I suspect Brady in his college days may be more poise and took less chances? As far as JJ is concern he could be the second coming of Brady or Marc Jones. We shall see!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Great stuff. I love his cerebral approach and commitment to it at such a young age. I've seen mocks now that have him going #8 to Atlanta. He may be out of our reach, dammit.
lol nobody is dumb enough to take him in the first round. Not happening. He's a day 2 pick without a doubt.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Chill out with the definitive statements. Being dismissive of other people's opinions does not make you more credible.
Thank you. With ten qb needy teams, my opinion has a factual basis at least, even if it is eventually proven wrong.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Chill out with the definitive statements. Being dismissive of other people's opinions does not make you more credible.
not being dismissive at all, look at it from a logical GM's standpoint. Who is going to risk starting a kid who has never shown the ability to carry an offense with his arm? If he's taken in the top 15 that will be the expectation. He doesn't have ton of reps either as a Junior. He's a big gamble as a top 15 pick coming out of a run first offense.