JJ McCarthy games and scouting videos

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I'll add my two cents. JJ McCarthy right now is a fringe NFL starter. But...there is a huge but. I'm guilty of this as well and I've only started to think about this in another way.

GMs and teams won't be looking at him McCarthy for what he is right now. They are looking at what he could become. His tape is lackluster and frustrating. Michigan didn't ask him to do too much. So my point is we don't know what he is truly.

McCarthy is extremely young at the QB position. He made a lot of dumb mistakes because he needs more reps. However, from his first year to his junior year -- dude made pretty big strides. He played in a pro offense and made NFL type reads. He constantly played against some of the toughest defenses in all of college the last 2 years.

The efficiency numbers are there. Teams that are very analytically driven will love this kid. McCarthy this past season was extremely effective when it 3rd downs, throwing on the move, throwing when pressured or blitzed, and in the 4th quarter.

The mobility to move up and around the pocket is pretty big. I think he's going to light up the Combine and should run around a 4.5 or 4.6. Doesn't seem like much but if a 4.8 Patrick Mahomes could gash a defense running then McCarthy is deadly on the run. He isn't Lamar Jackson but running is a huge part of his game.

Lastly, the arm talent is there. It just isn't consistent. His mechanics aren't extremely clean. He has a little bit of a long wind up. However, he has the arm to make pretty much every throw. He is better throwing darts then throwing touch passes. He needs to work on his deep passes.

So after all of that, I would be very weary if you're projecting him past the 1st round and past the top half of the first round. I think teams see a QB that is efficient, is mobile, and having a pretty big arm. I would think a team like the Vikings would be all over this kid.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I won't be surprised if he goes top 15. We may have to move up to get him if he has a big combine, then we would have to let him develop for a year or two. Given that we almost never pick in the top three (and we almost never move up in the first), this is probably the only way we'll ever get a qbotf, unless we get one that has injury, height, or skill level concerns in the later rounds.

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
I won't be surprised if he goes top 15. We may have to move up to get him if he has a big combine, then we would have to let him develop for a year or two. Given that we almost never pick in the top three, this is probably the only way we'll ever get a qbotf, unless we get one that has injury, height, or skill level concerns in the later rounds.
I'm getting a feeling something might be in the works. I feel we have to move up to secure JJ. I just don't see him getting past Falcons, Raiders, Broncos.
After Geno signed the $12.7 deal (Shefter reported Geno is with the team atleast through the week) he knows something, he isn't able to report yet?
Hearing Riq Woolen is up for trade?
Hearing DK may be up for trade?

WarHawks

Reaction score
I'm getting a feeling something might be in the works. I feel we have to move up to secure JJ. I just don't see him getting past Falcons, Raiders, Broncos.
After Geno signed the $12.7 deal (Shefter reported Geno is with the team atleast through the week) he knows something, he isn't able to report yet?
Hearing Riq Woolen is up for trade?
Hearing DK may be up for trade?
The next month will be very interesting indeed. I agree that JJ likely won't make it to 16 if he shows well at the combine. Riq/DK and next year's 1st for a chance to move up and get a long term qb who has the raw tools and makeup to possibly be the next Brady? Yes please.

12forlife

Reaction score
The next month will be very interesting indeed. I agree that JJ likely won't make it to 16 if he shows well at the combine. Riq/DK and next year's 1st for a chance to move up and get a long term qb who has the raw tools and makeup to possibly be the next Brady? Yes please.
Shoot if you want to get real ballzy do a package deal of Geno, Riq, DK & 16 try to trade up to #3 w/ the Patriots? Probably have your choice between Daniels & JJ? Plus would free up cap space to potentially grab a MM guy like Queen?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The upside on JJ is he becomes the next Trent Dilfer.
He isn't consistently accurate BUT has good footwork.
He doesn't make mistakes BUT most of his tape is primarily one read.

There isn't much there but he played on a winning team under Harbaugh. So did Kap. Doesn't mean you are a great NFL QB or even have much promise to be one.
As a project, sure. Top ten? or even 1st round? Hell no.

If you want a QB that won't make mistakes and can leverage a great defense to win consistently, absolutely. But he won't carry a team, and probably will be the weak link on whatever offense he lands on.
Maybe he improves but accuracy is pretty important for a QB, especially a QB that really experienced little adversity and had a tremendous OL and run game most of his career.
(People say UW had a great OL, but that really isn't true. It was a good pass blocking OL, but poor run blocking...one reason they struggled to run the ball. UM had a great OL and it kept JJ from experiencing too much pressure)