JJ McCarthy games and scouting videos

SeaWolv

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...draft-fit-joel-klatt-lamar-jackson-comparison

“I’m not saying in any way shape or form that J.J. is comparable to Lamar,” Klatt said on Seattle Sports' Brock and Salk. “But I will say that that (Macdonald) understands the importance of the quarterback’s ability to create between two and five first downs with his legs a game.

“Those are monumental because the defense can do everything right, which he’s uniquely aware, and then all of a sudden the quarterback makes you wrong. J.J. has that ability.”

SeaWolv

Reaction score
More fuel for the fire on McCarthy:

https://fanduel.com/research/2024-nfl-draft-which-quarterback-is-statistically-superior

His 89.2 Total QBR was third in the nation, trailing only Daniels and Nix. Both of those guys are at least two years older than McCarthy, who just turned 21 in January.

McCarthy's Total QBR is more impressive than his AY/A (9.8) partly due to the schedule he faced. More than 63% of his pass attempts came against top-50 defenses by SP+, and the average opposing defensive rank was 38.8. Both were toughest of the six quarterbacks we're looking at today.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
You don’t think having that many talented linemen makes it a bit harder to truly evaluate the QB?

Gotcha.
Penix had the Joe Moore award winning Oline this season but many here have no problem evaluating him.

12forlife

Reaction score
I’m not hating on him. I’m just saying that’s a pretty damn good line and until they hit the league, it’s a bit harder to tell how these guys are going to perform.
I get ya.
I'm just not sure in today's world, where we are still dealing with effects of Covid, what we are expecting out of a young QB?
I mean there is a 100 reasons to pick a prospect apart? Accuracy, to many turnovers, not a leader, to short, weak arm, didn't win big games etc.
JJ is literally good+ @ all those. So my question is what are we expecting from a 21 yr old QB prospect?
Now is he a lock to be a star in the league? Nope, we could turn out to be a JAG? I just feel he has the desire to be great like Burrow & Mahomes?

GemCity

Reaction score
I get ya.
I'm just not sure in today's world, where we are still dealing with effects of Covid, what we are expecting out of a young QB?
I mean there is a 100 reasons to pick a prospect apart? Accuracy, to many turnovers, not a leader, to short, weak arm, didn't win big games etc.
JJ is literally good+ @ all those. So my question is what are we expecting from a 21 yr old QB prospect?
Now is he a lock to be a star in the league? Nope, we could turn out to be a JAG? I just feel he has the desire to be great like Burrow & Mahomes?
If we grab him, I’m good with it! Not coming at ya bro…

He’s just a bit harder to evaluate (imo). But, the pedigree is 100% there.

I might be putting too much faith in JS but, I’m super confident that whoever he grabs for QB is going to be a baller. JJ included.

GemCity

Reaction score
Penix had the Joe Moore award winning Oline this season but many here have no problem evaluating him.
Great point!

I’m just weary of QBs that have dominant lines at the college level. BUT…that doesn’t predicate their pro performance.

It shouldn’t reflect negatively…but it gives me the feeling that it’s sometimes harder to really get a bead on a guy if he has NFL caliber linemen in front of him.

Cant be controlled…maybe a bit unfair. Definitely not a knock on the player. Maybe it’s curiosity more than anything.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can Mccarthy take over a game at the end like Penix did on a regular basis? Honest question. He did it OVER AND OVER again.
It's shocking how clueless people are about Penix.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Can Mccarthy take over a game at the end like Penix did on a regular basis? Honest question. He did it OVER AND OVER again.
It's shocking how clueless people are about Penix.
We don't know for sure because he wasn't asked to do it. I believe the answer is yes and we'll know the answer in the next couple of years. Keep in mind McCarthy is 2 years younger than Penix. For us old people that doesn't seem like much but when it's a tenth of your life, it is.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think the difference is, when you watch Penix, you see a high number of throws that just make you sit up and go Holy Shit. Penix definitely makes some throws that also make you scratch your head and wonder what he is doing.

When I watch JJ, I don't get excited at all. I'm probably wrong. The videos that I've seen just feel boring to me.

I am by no means a good QB evaluator, but I'd be a lot happier with a guy like Penix than JJ.

CPHawk

Reaction score
JJ
Wins? Yes
Stats? Not much
Athletic with a great arm, makes people believe he can be coached up.
Comp- Trey Lance

Penix
Comp- Geno Smith
I’ve said it for months, and husky fans got mad. But now guys like Corbin Smith are also saying it.

12forlife

Reaction score
Penix > Mccarthy
Agree to disagree. Wouldn't complain if Penix was our choice though. Gotta take a shot at one of these guys. I wouldn't be completely bummed out if they even attacked D or Oline early, and took a shot with Rattler or Travis if one of them fit the new offense. We will know soon enough. We will know what Grubb & Huff think of Penix, if they believe he can hold up in the NFL, then maybe Penix is their target?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. We absolutely can agree to disagree. I know what my eyes see. No way in hell is Mccarthy better than Penix.

12forlife

Reaction score
Fair enough. We absolutely can agree to disagree. I know what my eyes see. No way in hell is Mccarthy better than Penix.
Idk completely different prospects? Depends on coaching & schemes & playmakers around them.
I'll give Penix has the arm talent, with a play style similar to Stroud & Burrow.
I give JJ has better athleticism with similar play style to Allen & Mahomes.
Idk I'm gonna go with with the prospect that is 3 yrs younger, with no injury history?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Watching highlight videos is genuinely the worst way to scout a player.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
1. I'd be willing to give you higher odds like if JJ goes 1-65 I owe you 300, and if he goes 66-Undrafted, then you owe me $200.

2. Also, if you want I can pre-pay you by Venmo or PayPal first so it's up to you, but I am trustable.
I saw this when it was posted a few days ago and was going to try and get in on the action, but didn’t. Window still open?

JJ goes 1-65 and you PP/Venmo (I have both) me $300. If he goes 66 up to undrafted I PP/Venmo you $200.
(My Venmo username is the same as my .NET username)

Also good with a straight $100 if you’re feeling less confident since posting this.

No pre-pay necessary. I’ll pay up the moment R2 ends if nobody has taken him. I don’t post much, but been here since 2011 and welching on a bet should be an instant permaban IMO.

Lastly, I’d rather pay you $200 than have the Hawks take him at 16, LMAO.