Jimmy Graham/ Max Unger trade finalized

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":3mvkwgp1 said:
I saw a point made about this trade on CBS which I hadn't considered.

The trade with Graham meant that the Saints ate all the signing bonus. That means huge flexibility if it doesn't pan out. The Seahawks can cut him or ask him to restructure.

If we had signed Thomas as FA then you have much more limited options as you are eating the signing bonus if you cut him. They have similiar cap numbers overall for 3 years but very different structure.

I like it
Good points man. John's reportedly always 2 years ahead on the cap. This may well be another example of that.
I'm psyched about what Graham can do for the offense if Bevell can get him in position to succeed and help the team.

Now about the o-line.................let's shore it up a bit John.

original poster

Reaction score
mikeak":2ua72xb0 said:
I saw a point made about this trade on CBS which I hadn't considered.

The trade with Graham meant that the Saints ate all the signing bonus. That means huge flexibility if it doesn't pan out. The Seahawks can cut him or ask him to restructure.

If we had signed Thomas as FA then you have much more limited options as you are eating the signing bonus if you cut him. They have similiar cap numbers overall for 3 years but very different structure.

I like it

Glad the Saints took the hit on the signing bonus!

hawksurething

Reaction score
Finally a guy who demands double teams & is a red zone machine! Best FA pick up on offense since lynch!

Now only thing left to fix is the wideouts to help free up jimmy like he had with saints in Cholston,stills. To make sure he don't Bust without any help out wide :)

Greg Jennings is still amazing at his age!
Here is how amazing Greg Jennings still is at his age... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D1S96gugVX8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6LABfiCUbc. Amazing routes,HANDS catcher,tough,jump ball,can beat a double team even at his size & age,TD producer,blocks. 9 catches over 20 yards WOW! All around game with no holes other than size.

http://www.nfl.com/player/gregjennings/ ... areerstats. 6 TDs as 2nd option,easily out produced our WRs. Baldwin only had 3TDs as a #1WR option.

Perfect FA pick up to go with which ever WR we draft to learn from him. :)

Sac

Reaction score
hawksurething":13oib2fc said:
Finally a guy who demands double teams & is a red zone machine! Best FA pick up on offense since lynch !

Neither Graham nor Lynch were FA pick-ups. True story.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3ik2k5lr said:
hawksurething":3ik2k5lr said:
Finally a guy who demands double teams & is a red zone machine! Best FA pick up on offense since lynch !

Maybe in his mind trades are FA pick-ups. That would make a lot of other things make sense regarding his thinking...

Sac

Reaction score
OkieHawk":37xs4rd8 said:
SacHawk2.0":37xs4rd8 said:
hawksurething":37xs4rd8 said:

Maybe in his mind trades are FA pick-ups. That would make a lot of other things make sense regarding his thinking...

Right? RW probably was too. We FA picked him up with the 75th pick.

IronSaint

Reaction score
original poster":ehhxz2g8 said:
mikeak":ehhxz2g8 said:
The trade with Graham meant that the Saints ate all the signing bonus.

Glad the Saints took the hit on the signing bonus!

Well, it isn't that we volunteered to take the signing bonus hit, it's just how the contracts work. With a signing bonus, it's prorated (spread out) over the life of the contract. For example, a player signs a 4-year contract with a $8 million signing bonus. Each year, that signing bonus counts for $2 million of that player's cap hit in addition to his base salaries, roster bonuses, workout bonuses and any other performance incentives.

However, when the player is traded, the entire remaining amount of the signing bonus jumps forward to that and the team the player is being traded from is on the hook for that amount. Using the example above, if that player is traded after the 1st season of the contract, instead of having the $2 million signing bonus that year, they have to play $6 million up-front as they already paid $2 million of it the previous year.

Hope that helps. :)

hawksurething

Reaction score
OkieHawk":11hu0md9 said:
SacHawk2.0":11hu0md9 said:
hawksurething":11hu0md9 said:

True as I'm thinking during free agency. The title says trade finalized so you should know what I meant.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
hawksurething":2s4s4utl said:
OkieHawk":2s4s4utl said:
SacHawk2.0":2s4s4utl said:
hawksurething":2s4s4utl said:

True as I'm thinking during free agency. The title says trade finalized so you should know what I meant.

Nobody knows what you mean...including yourself.

Latest posts