Jimmy Graham and blocking

cacksman

Reaction score
sc85sis":2w20jsqn said:
Our receivers all block. If you can't block, you don't see the field much on this team.

Please tell me you don't believe Paul Richardson is a better blocker than Jimmy Graham.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":v4ldw6uz said:
Recon_Hawk":v4ldw6uz said:
kearly":v4ldw6uz said:
Pass blocking though is more about God-given ability.
Kip, I know you played Oline in your playing days. Care to elaborate on this a bit? Physically, it seems Jimmy easily has the measurable to pass block better than even Zach Miller. Is it just technique that comes easier to some more than others?

Basically, almost anyone reading this thread could throw a cut block with a day's training.

For more conventional run blocking, Anyone that has a ton of want to and minimal NFL caliber tools can run block with at least an average amount of success in a ZBS. You don't need long arms, or be a combine megastar, though the latter helps.

Look at JR Sweezy or Breno. Especially Breno. Those dudes could not be any more intense. Do you think they are any less intense on pass pro? And yet, both could get dumped on their ass if their punch wasn't strong enough, or their backpedal wasn't fluid enough, or their arms weren't long enough, or their ability to pick up a stunt wasn't quick enough, or their sidestep not wide enough, or their anchor vs. the bullrush not sturdy enough, or their shoulders aren't back far enough causing them to lean.

You could be the most badass run blocker in the world with 30 inch arms. But you would probably never play in the NFL because you'd never win a battle in pass pro with arms like that. (sobs quietly)

Effort, nasty, motor and mean streak can go a very long way in the run game, particularly in a ZBS where you might only need to 'win' your assignment for fraction of a second. In pass pro, playing hard helps a little, but at the end of the day you either have the basic talent to survive or you don't. Winning for 1 second might be enough in the run game, but win for only 1 second in the pass game and the result will always be a pressure or sack.

That's basically what it comes down to. Run blocking is about attacking. Pass blocking is about survival. In run blocking, there really isn't any one aspect that can doom you. You could run a 6.0 forty with a 20 inch vert and still be a good run blocker. But on the flipside, there are more than a half-dozen things that could sink you in pass pro if you are lacking in a particular area physically or mentally.

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

It seems for how you put it, it's easier to run block than pass protect, but it's still the #1 trait Pete and Cable look for and if you don't have that want-to then they don't care how good your pass pro is. I guess they figure if you have the measurables they can develop the finesse side of pass blocking.
It must be hard to go back and forth from "attacking" to "surviving". Probably something a lot of offensive lines who pass 60%+ times don't need to do as well at.

Ps. Sorry about your short arms. Here's a T-Rex that feels your pain. GST2339  79970140535092512801280

sutz

Reaction score
cacksman":1abjv3xh said:
sc85sis":1abjv3xh said:
Our receivers all block. If you can't block, you don't see the field much on this team.

Please tell me you don't believe Paul Richardson is a better blocker than Jimmy Graham.
Hyperbole much? I believe that was nothing like what he meant. :34853_doh: