Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":11wnk371 said:
Sports Hernia":11wnk371 said:
Popeyejones":11wnk371 said:
never mind
Good call. :2thumbs:

Sure. Why not.

The subject of the post was to remind Marvin of the idiom about wrestling with a pig.

Maybe he enjoys that, though. Me, not so much. :2thumbs:
Cool story bro. :2thumbs:

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3an84e3i said:
5_Golden_Rings":3an84e3i said:
Sports Hernia":3an84e3i said:
5_Golden_Rings":3an84e3i said:
It's the same stubborn cognitive dissonance some of us 49ers fans had back in 2013 when many deluded themselves into thinking Kaepernick was better than Wilson.

Would that be the same cognitive dissonance saying that Jimmy GQ had “no fatal flaws”?

Asking for a friend.....
The context of that post was with respect to his physical ability, of which he has none. The caveat, which you would know if you read the rest of my comments on that topic, is the assumption that he will learn how to read a defense.
That’s some Marvinesque spin right there. It would have been easier to just admit you were wrong.
It surely would be easier to admit something that isn't true, but I've been pretty consistent since day one on my take on Jimmy G: physically talented, anticipatory thrower, with no PREDICTABLE weaknesses, such as Kaepernick's long release, which are "fatal" in the sense that a defense can game plan for them.

Here is one of my first posts I dug up making an argument about his strengths and weaknesses, discussing PHYSICAL weaknesses and PREDICTABLE weaknesses:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144529#p2130151

Of course you cutely responded with "tldr."

I made this post in 2017.

me":3an84e3i said:
He HAS a weakness, however, which was obvious from the beginning, and it's a potentially crippling one: he takes chances with the ball, just like Favre, except his arm isn't nearly as strong. This weakness will haunt him in the future. However, the key here is that it is an UNPREDICTABLE weakness. No one can anticipate when Jimmy G is going to try to thread the needle into a place he has no business attempting a pass.

But the discussion was that his weaknesses are not predictable, precisely because his mistakes are mental. The context was with respect to Kaepernick, whose long release telegraphs his throws.

In any event, the reason Garoppolo does this is not really knowable at this point, because he hasn't played enough. Is he just a risk taker? Or is it that he has trouble reading defenses post snap? These things will be revealed later, but no, they do not count with respect to my discussion on "fatal" flaws, because (if it was even me who said that), the discussion was about physical, reliably consistent weaknesses (such as a long release, or lack of mobility, or short height, etc... PHYSICAL problems that can be quantified).

This has more or less been my take on him for some time. He doesn't have any real physical weaknesses. The only weakness he's demonstrated (which I have also commented on numerous times, as I found when I searched through my posts looking for this "no fatal flaw" comment - which I didn't find, mind you ) is that he takes risks he has no business taken.

Unfortunately, there has not been enough film on him to know if he is one of those QBs who will never graduate from third gear to fourth gear and up with respect to reading and reacting to a defense. This remains undetermined, as it was before. Hence why, if I was even the one who made the "no fatal weakness" comment (the only thing I found was in discussion Kaepernick, where I said that not being able to throw with anticipation is one of the most fatal weaknesses a QB can have), it would have been with respect to his physical ability.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2judlrbn said:
Sports Hernia":2judlrbn said:
5_Golden_Rings":2judlrbn said:
Sports Hernia":2judlrbn said:
Would that be the same cognitive dissonance saying that Jimmy GQ had “no fatal flaws”?

Asking for a friend.....
The context of that post was with respect to his physical ability, of which he has none. The caveat, which you would know if you read the rest of my comments on that topic, is the assumption that he will learn how to read a defense.
That’s some Marvinesque spin right there. It would have been easier to just admit you were wrong.
It surely would be easier to admit something that isn't true, but I've been pretty consistent since day one on my take on Jimmy G: physically talented, anticipatory thrower, with no PREDICTABLE weaknesses, such as Kaepernick's long release, which are "fatal" in the sense that a defense can game plan for them.

Here is one of my first posts I dug up making an argument about his strengths and weaknesses, discussing PHYSICAL weaknesses and PREDICTABLE weaknesses:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 9#p2130151

me":2judlrbn said:
He HAS a weakness, however, which was obvious from the beginning, and it's a potentially crippling one: he takes chances with the ball, just like Favre, except his arm isn't nearly as strong. This weakness will haunt him in the future. However, the key here is that it is an UNPREDICTABLE weakness. No one can anticipate when Jimmy G is going to try to thread the needle into a place he has no business attempting a pass.

But the discussion was that his weaknesses are not predictable, precisely because his mistakes are mental. The context was with respect to Kaepernick, whose long release telegraphs his throws.

In any event, the reason Garoppolo does this is not really knowable at this point, because he hasn't played enough. Is he just a risk taker? Or is it that he has trouble reading defenses post snap? These things will be revealed later, but no, they do not count with respect to my discussion on "fatal" flaws, because (if it was even me who said that), the discussion was about physical, reliably consistent weaknesses (such as a long release, or lack of mobility, or short height, etc... PHYSICAL problems that can be quantified).

This has more or less been my take on him for some time. He doesn't have any real physical weaknesses. The only weakness he's demonstrated (which I have also commented on numerous times, as I found when I searched through my posts looking for this "no fatal flaw" comment - which I didn't find, mind you ) is that he takes risks he has no business taken.

Unfortunately, there has not been enough film on him to know if he is one of those QBs who will never graduate from third gear to fourth gear and up with respect to reading and reacting to a defense. This remains undetermined, as it was before. Hence why, if I was even the one who made the "no fatal weakness" comment (the only thing I found was in discussion Kaepernick, where I said that not being able to throw with anticipation is one of the most fatal weaknesses a QB can have), it would have been with respect to his physical ability.
Wow, that’s a lot of word salad.

Thou protest too much.......

Noticed how you left out your “Jimmy has no fatal flaws” post.

Like I said, it would have been easier to admit you were wrong, but your fragile ego obviously couldn't handle it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2484r6so said:
5_Golden_Rings":2484r6so said:
Sports Hernia":2484r6so said:
5_Golden_Rings":2484r6so said:

me":2484r6so said:

Like I said, it would have been easier to admit you were wrong, but your fragile ego obviously couldn't handle it.

...and that, right there, is why you are a troll. You STILL haven't addressed a single argument made by ANYONE. Its all "Spin" this, "fragile ego" that. Its "your projecting" or attributing comments to me made by other posters. At no point have you like...MADE A POINT.

Then you say we are acting as though we are being victimized. LOL. We aren't and have at no point made that claim. In order for a Niner fan to stick around here as long as myself and several other Niner fans have, you HAVE to have a pretty thick skin. Just like you seem to think you are doing though, we can call someone out on their BS. Your BS is as follows...

Your posts have no THERE there. There is nothing too them. There is no wisdom, no argument, no conversation, and no point. You seem to think the "no fatal flaw" argument is some kind of ace in the hole for you because to obtusely refuse to take the comment in the context in which it was written. You make a one liner as if it has knocked your opponent out of the fight in a single blow, when in fact you completely missed his jaw, and then you dance around the ring as if you've accomplished something. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

You have but one purpose here. Its simply to take shots at other posters. Its all good. No skin off my nose, but I'm going to call it what it is.

Trolling. No two ways about it. That's all it is.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":3mlkjonb said:
Sports Hernia":3mlkjonb said:
5_Golden_Rings":3mlkjonb said:
Sports Hernia":3mlkjonb said:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 9#p2130151

me":3mlkjonb said:

...and that, right there, is why you are a troll. You STILL haven't addressed a single argument made by ANYONE. Its all "Spin" this, "fragile ego" that. Its "your projecting" or attributing comments to me made by other posters. At no point have you like...MADE A POINT.

Then you say we are acting as though we are being victimized. LOL. We aren't and have at no point made that claim. In order for a Niner fan to stick around here as long as myself and several other Niner fans have, you HAVE to have a pretty thick skin. Just like you seem to think you are doing though, we can call someone out on their BS. Your BS is as follows...

Your posts have no THERE there. There is nothing too them. There is no wisdom, no argument, no conversation, and no point. You seem to think the "no fatal flaw" argument is some kind of ace in the hole for you because to obtusely refuse to take the comment in the context in which it was written. You make a one liner as if it has knocked your opponent out of the fight in a single blow, when in fact you completely missed his jaw, and then you dance around the ring as if you've accomplished something. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

You have but one purpose here. Its simply to take shots at other posters. Its all good. No skin off my nose, but I'm going to call it what it is.

TLDR, but it looks like you are still projecting there Marv.

If it’s “all good” why are you writing 10 paragraph posts crying about it?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1i01y9ue said:
Marvin49":1i01y9ue said:
Sports Hernia":1i01y9ue said:
5_Golden_Rings":1i01y9ue said:

TLDR, but it looks like you are still projecting there Marv.

If it’s “all good” why are you writing 10 paragraph posts crying about it?

...and he makes my point for me.

Again.

Peace.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Maulbert":1s2q2n0y said:
Biscanebay12":1s2q2n0y said:
Biscanebay12":1s2q2n0y said:
Mod edit... maybe this forum isn't for you

And sometimes the truth hurts.

You broke the rules and sank to a personal attack. Don't pretend you're righteous.

I only sank to that because that's exactly what Sportshernia was doing to Marv. Its not the first time and I come to expect one sided reactions such as yours.

Calling him a "Troll" is attacking the poster not the post which I believe is against the rules which you confirmed in your post to me. The difference is Marv is a 49er fan.

In the future I'll refrain, but maybe you should police your brethren in the same manner you do outsiders.

chris98251

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":2waw7a3l said:
Maulbert":2waw7a3l said:

You broke the rules and sank to a personal attack. Don't pretend you're righteous.

I only sank to that because that's exactly what Sportshernia was doing to Marv. Its not the first time and I come to expect one sided reactions such as yours.

Calling him a "Troll" is attacking the poster not the post which I believe is against the rules which you confirmed in your post to me. The difference is Marv is a 49er fan.

In the future I'll refrain, but maybe you should police your brethren in the same manner you do outsiders.

Our house, if we pee on the floor we will call them on it, if you pee on the floor your disrespecting our house.

See the difference, your a guest not an equal here, we value your opinion from the outside in but were not wife swapping with you.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":29upj1ob said:
Maulbert":29upj1ob said:

Calling someone a troll is hardly the same as calling someone a dick, which is what you did.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Biscanebay12":2wcu8eyl said:
Biscanebay12":2wcu8eyl said:

Indignation isn't a good look. Marv doesn't need you to be his hero.

Regardless of your feelings on the matter, we do not permit personal attacks in these forums. If you can't follow the very simple and liberal rules then you need to take it to the Shack.

Calling someone a troll is also a personal attack. Calling a post "trolling" is not.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3sldpc9b said:
Regardless of your feelings on the matter, we do not permit personal attacks in these forums.

Calling someone a troll is also a personal attack.

I don't mean to poke the bear and I'm fine to delete this post (or learn that it's been deleted) if it's breaking some rule, but I think Chris' summary is the truer one, and the one that actually spells out how the rules are applied to a non-Hawks fan:

chris98251":3sldpc9b said:
you're a guest not an equal here

When I read your summary of how it works it's confusing, because there's a few posters who regularly call me a troll, and who regularly personally attack me, which is just ignored by the mods. It has always been this way.

Chris' summary better explains how it actually works: Personal attacks between Seahawks fans are not permitted, and personal attacks from non-Seahawks fans to Seahawks fans are not permitted, but a blind eye is turned toward personal attacks from Seahawks fans to non-Seahawks fans because, as Chris says, we are "guests" and "not equals" here.

To be clear I'm not COMPLAINING about that -- I just ignore those people unless I'm bored enough to engage with them and I think of it as coming with the territory of posting on another team's fan forum -- but I don't think the way you're describing the rules is how they're actually enforced.

To reiterate I AM NOT ASKING that Hawks fans trolling non-Hawks fans should be held to the same standards as all other scenarios, but if we're telling a non-Hawks fan how it works here, I think it's worth acknowledging -- as Chris does -- how it ACTUALLY works here.

In practice, from a longtime guest here, the rule is that if you're a guest here, {insert Hawks fan} can seemingly follow you around and desperately try to needle you over and over again as much as they want, but as a guest, you gotta just formally put them on ignore or ignore them, because as a guest you're going to get clapped on if you treat them the same way they treat you.

Also worth saying that I think some leniency on team fans acting obnoxiously to non-team fans is generally pretty true across all fan forums, meaning I don't think this is exceptional at all. It happens practically everwhere, but it's kinda confusing to pretend that it's somethin different than what it is, IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Not overstepping. But just report it then Popeye.

We try to be lenient to all initially. But it was escalating.

Board members do a pretty good job of following each other around just as well as guests.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^Thanks, Si.

And understood, and not second guessing the mod work at all with any of that.

Not the type of thing I'd ever report, just b/c it's easier for me and easier for you for me to just ignore stuff that I think is worthy of ignoring :lol: :2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
I mean, sure...there are many times that being a 49er fan here requires some thick skin, but that's what you sign up for on any teams board when you are not a fan of the team. Its just a part of the deal.

I think what happens alot though is that some of use are accused of "crying" about it when in fact we are simply pointing it out in the same way people point out that I'm a homer, etc.

If I actually felt abused or needed action from the mods, I simply wouldn't be here. I get that we are guests here. No complaints. I will point out tho if someone is being trollish and doing nothing more than trying to get under skin and not having anything of substance to say.

I never actually saw the post that was removed so I can't say if it was in bounds or out but I'll trust the mods on that one.

chris98251

Reaction score
I know when I was a Mod I tried to encourage fans from opposing teams to post more and would really watch that they were not harassed on a level that could be deemed abusive, saying that good natured banter and poking fun between fan bases also is what makes things fun.

The value outside eyes brings to our forum is hard to measure but it is important on may levels as the rose colored glasses thing is always happening. Also being able to get other fans feelings on their teams I think helps understand perspectives.

This Forum was really my baby in a lot of ways to the point RedAlice was actually running some contests throughout the season for us.

If your offended when someone says your a troll you really need to check your self, especially on a fan board that is not of your team, your almost going to get that anywhere you go. I also think that if your here and support another team you are not in your first rodeo and have a better feeling for the landscape and know better.

Someone just saying your a troll on another teams fan board is like being in Texas and being called a Yankee if your from Seattle.

Really just don't feed the person trying to stir you up.

We have our own Asshats and Jerks here, every team has them. Some enjoy seeing if you all have a easy button to push.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":yn7574wb said:
I mean, sure...there are many times that being a 49er fan here requires some thick skin, but that's what you sign up for on any teams board when you are not a fan of the team. Its just a part of the deal.

I think what happens alot though is that some of use are accused of "crying" about it when in fact we are simply pointing it out in the same way people point out that I'm a homer, etc.

If I actually felt abused or needed action from the mods, I simply wouldn't be here. I get that we are guests here. No complaints. I will point out tho if someone is being trollish and doing nothing more than trying to get under skin and not having anything of substance to say.

I never actually saw the post that was removed so I can't say if it was in bounds or out but I'll trust the mods on that one.

Hey, everyone fighting here was here when I started lurking the boards six years ago when I started getting into football. These guys Marvin and Popeye don't act like the stereotypical homers you see on the Webzone. They've always been through in their research even as I disagreed with their conclusions. I like hearing opposition arguments that I'm still too much of a beginner to make, and those arguments (sorry Popeye and Marvin) did help make me a Hawks fan.

So with that, Jimmy G? Extremely hyped in the Bay Area but no one knows yet how he'll return. Russell? I have noticed a slow decline since at least 2016-2017, particularly in the "mobile QB" abilities he was so praised for back in 2013 along with Kaep. As a Hawks fan, I think the extension was a mistake--I think Russ doesn't have the staying power of a Brady (few do) and as the team is rebuilding, I wish they'd look more seriously at their QB options.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8sldnj1g said:
5_Golden_Rings":8sldnj1g said:
Sports Hernia":8sldnj1g said:
5_Golden_Rings":8sldnj1g said:

me":8sldnj1g said:

That was because it took me THIRTY MINUTES just to find that one. This websites search function is garbage. So I settled with one that was even older that showed my take on him.

I went through about 25 pages looking for it and didn't find it.

Regardless, you will find my take on Garoppolo has been consistent - great arm talent, fast release, but inexperienced and prone to making stupid throws (my take on his ability to read a defense has and still is incomplete due to his lack of experience). You are simply shamelessly attempting to deceive by quoting something completely out of context, just like a run of the mill politician.

As for "word salad," I'm not sure you know what that phrase means. The point of that post was to show my position on Garoppolo has been consistent, and it does exactly that.

Status
Not open for further replies.