Jarran Reed feeling the $$ pain

seabowl

Reaction score
Couldn't help but notice the frustration on Reed's face when he got hurt yesterday. I think he was frustrated not only that he got injured but also that any time he is off the field it very well is costing him $$ for his upcoming contract. This injury, but even bigger the 6 game suspension, may have cost him big $$.

On a side note anyone else hear what his injury status is? I know they said he has a sprained ankle.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to sign him again if that's why he was frustrated. If you are thinking about your contract in the middle of a game during a winning season, then you are the type of guy that goes in the tank after you get paid.

Pete and John have been good at distinguishing the competitors from the money grubbers when handing out second contracts. Hopefully they know where Reed's head is at. I personally think he was frustrated at not being able to get back out there to compete and help his D brothers win the game.

AirStrike

Reaction score
I would hope he was more frustrated that he couldn’t play over the potential
money he’s losing. Pete doesn’t want those guys in the team.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm sure he was just upset about not being able to play, we have never seen any evidence of Jarren being all about the money. With that said how the hell could that not enter your mind the moment it happens? If i got injured and knew i could potential miss out on millions in Reed's case i'd be pretty upset too.

Largent80

Reaction score
After having to sit out 6 games for something charges were never levied is pretty huge. The guy loves the game, he was pissed at getting hurt. Jeezus man, why do people have to spin their constant conspiracy theories or delusional observations?

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Reed will get good money. Maybe nothing crazy, but he’s a 10 sack guy from the middle. He’ll get paid.

HawkerD

Reaction score
You don't get paid for what you did in the past. The past helps creates a perception of what you can POSSIBLY do in the future. You get paid for the perception that you created. Reed is young. If enough teams believe the potential is there, then the number is big. Sprained ankle or not.

kf3339

Reaction score
Largent80":35x74s9v said:
After having to sit out 6 games for something charges were never levied is pretty huge. The guy loves the game, he was pissed at getting hurt. Jeezus man, why do people have to spin their constant conspiracy theories or delusional observations?

It's what some do on this board. I don't get it either.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
kf3339":1hn3w11o said:
Largent80":1hn3w11o said:

Most and I mean most players in a contract year would be upset about being injured and not able to showcase for a big contract. It's human nature.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He'll be just fine. Pete and John know who he is, and they're not the type to screw players. I think they'll either do an incentive laden contract, or maybe even a 1 - 2 year deal at a decent wage so that Jarran can prove his worth.

The last thing they want to do is take any of his fire away by sticking him with a crappy contract. It's not their way.

Not worried. :yawn:

Chapow

Reaction score
seabowl":1kqzlzi6 said:
kf3339":1kqzlzi6 said:
Largent80":1kqzlzi6 said:

Most and I mean most players in a contract year would be upset about being injured and not able to showcase for a big contract. It's human nature.

Most and I mean most players would be, and are, visibly upset/frustrated when they get injured. Period.

Largent80

Reaction score
Chapow":176naohz said:
seabowl":176naohz said:
kf3339":176naohz said:
Largent80":176naohz said:

Most and I mean most players would be, and are, visibly upset/frustrated when they get injured. Period.

We can all agree money is a huge aspect, but if YOU were the player would you be more concerned about doing what you love or your bank?

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I think this organization has demonstrated that they'll pay a player who's worth it. Do your job and the money will follow. It's not like the front office is minimally observant...

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Chapow":8b8hvr10 said:
seabowl":8b8hvr10 said:
kf3339":8b8hvr10 said:
Largent80":8b8hvr10 said:

The best way to lower your performance in sport is to think of the monetary consequences. Do you think Steph Curry thinks about his bank account when putting up a 3 late in the game in the NBA Finals? Almost all athletes are "in the moment" during games. They hire sports psychologists to give them techniques to clear away outside thoughts and distractions.

Surest way to play poorly is because you get tight thinking about the ramifications of bad plays, good plays, injuries, etc.

I'm sure today both Clowney and Reed have some concerns about their contracts. But during a game? I'm sure if the thought is there it's pretty fleeting.

Chapow

Reaction score
Largent80":2xinso8h said:
Chapow":2xinso8h said:
seabowl":2xinso8h said:
kf3339":2xinso8h said:

We can all agree money is a huge aspect, but if YOU were the player would you be more concerned about doing what you love or your bank?

Probably neither. I think if I was the player I'd be more concerned about the injury. How serious it is, if I'm going to need surgery, how long it's going to take to recover, how difficult it's going to be to rehab, etc.

FYI, I didn't mention the money aspect, and that was kind of the point. I think when most players initially get injured they're more concerned with the injury than anything else in that moment.

chris98251

Reaction score
I doubt when he hurt it he was calculating his financial losses as he fell to the turf, some people's kids, he is a competitive guy and your in the middle of a game and want to win, he is pissed he can't get into the next play.

Additionally the Seahawks do not have a reputation of screwing their players on second contract because they get hurt competing.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kf3339":iz5l0mt9 said:
Largent80":iz5l0mt9 said:

I think it's a fair question. Wasn't really a statement of fact, more a question.
Why do we need to name-call people who actually ask these questions a lot of us *wonder* about?

And it's been useful and productive; posters have chipped in and responded, and I feel like I've learned a few things about Jarran Reed and the Seahawks in the exchange.

We certainly saw part of Earl Thomas's character come out in his final injury scene, his petulance in flying the bird at Pete and as far as I'm concerned, everything and everyone Seahawks. (Just my *personal feeling* about it, the opposite of a "protecting the team" kind of behavior) Now I love ET as a football player, and Quandre Diggs seems to be, as some said, giving us 95% of prime ET, and that has raised the whole D up a couple notches. I think it's fair to wonder if JReed is an ET attitude guy or a Cliff Avril attitude guy. The data coming out is pointing more to an Avril type of character, and many more years of JReed in a Seahawks uni.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Even if he was upset about the money, who cares.

I'm sure everyone on this board would be super cool with losing your opportunity to make millions of dollars.

Latest posts