Jared Abbrederis

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would put money on San Fran taking Cooks if they don't move up in the draft.

randomation

Reaction score
CPHawk":3sdzu67x said:
If you want another Tate, but faster and more dynamic, you go get Cooks.

Cooks is off the board by the time the hawks pick after running a 4.3 not even a question.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
randomation":2iwl3i4u said:
CPHawk":2iwl3i4u said:

Cooks is off the board by the time the hawks pick after running a 4.3 not even a question.

How many WRs do think will be taken before us? There are great WRs this year, but teams have other needs. He could definitely be available.

randomation

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2d1izwvr said:
randomation":2d1izwvr said:
CPHawk":2d1izwvr said:

How many WRs do think will be taken before us? There are great WRs this year, but teams have other needs. He could definitely be available.

San fran will take him if he is still there at their pick, Evans and Watkins will go for sure before him but that 4.3 with his production numbers he will likely be in the top 5 taken kb might go before him and Adams. I really wish there was someway to get Evans but it would take a kings ransom :(

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I wonder if there's some explanation, as in injury, for the 4 bench reps. That's low to the point of where you'd be better off faking an injury to withdraw from taking part in the bench. Beckham had 7 reps, also on the low side, Matthews at the top for WRs at 21

randomation

Reaction score
TheWebHead":3hh1l59g said:
I wonder if there's some explanation, as in injury, for the 4 bench reps. That's low to the point of where you'd be better off faking an injury to withdraw from taking part in the bench. Beckham had 7 reps, also on the low side, Matthews at the top for WRs at 21

No idea I was surprised at that also, will be interested to see his pro day though, was kind of funny how one of the commentators basically drooled over his route running though.

kearly

Reaction score
Player A: 5'10", 189, 4.3s forty, record breaking college production
Player B: 5'10", 182, 4.3s forty, record breaking college production

The first is Brandin Cooks, the second is Deon Butler. Butler went 3rd round in a much weaker WR draft.

As far as the Golden comp, Cooks would need to add another 13 pounds of muscle for the size comparison to fit, and watching his tape I really doubt Cooks weighed 189 when he was playing football games for the Beavers. He looked like DeAnthony Thomas out there.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
TheWebHead":2bkz2imz said:
Doug Baldwin only had 6 bench reps at his pro day, so I dont think it'll mean much on the field.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I like this guy. Looks like a complete player to me and obviously has proved he has NFL speed. He definitely has ST potential (and not just as a returner). Trying to take his chemistry with RW out of the equation, but that certainly doesn't hurt. Honestly, I'm not sure SEA will reach on a tall WR unless they really think he can play. They gambled on Chris Harper last year, and he's about the same height as Abbrederis.

Assuming you re-sign Tate, that means retaining Baldwin may be too costly in 2015. Taking Abbrederis this year may be a nice hedge. If the FO is looking two years ahead (which I'm sure they are), this might be a great pick as I think Abbrederis has the potential to give you a lot of Baldwin has.

shiva1008

Reaction score
kearly":1ggkbdwr said:
I think Abbrederis deserves a late 2nd round grade, but he'll probably go in rounds 3-5. The history of the draft suggests a very real bias against white WRs. As far as I know, a white WR has never been a 1st round pick, and only a small handful have even gone in the 2nd round. Even Steve Largent was a 4th round pick. Wes Welker? Undrafted. Jordy Nelson was a late 2nd rounder but in retrospect he would not escape the top 15.

Matt Jones was drafted at #22 by Jacksonville in '05.

"At the NFL Combine, Jones, measured in at 6' 6" tall, weighed 242 pounds and recorded scores during the tests that showed speed and explosive ability that had not been seen before in a player of his size. These scores earned him the nickname "The Freak" from the coaches and athletes in attendance." (wiki)

randomation

Reaction score
shiva1008":nrsp6dcs said:
kearly":nrsp6dcs said:
I think Abbrederis deserves a late 2nd round grade, but he'll probably go in rounds 3-5. The history of the draft suggests a very real bias against white WRs. As far as I know, a white WR has never been a 1st round pick, and only a small handful have even gone in the 2nd round. Even Steve Largent was a 4th round pick. Wes Welker? Undrafted. Jordy Nelson was a late 2nd rounder but in retrospect he would not escape the top 15.

"At the NFL Combine, Jones, measured in at 6' 6" tall, weighed 242 pounds and recorded scores during the tests that showed speed and explosive ability that had not been seen before in a player of his size. These scores earned him the nickname "The Freak" from the coaches and athletes in attendance." (wiki)

So basically the only white wideout drafted in the first in forever was a freak who also happened to be a bust and out of the league in 3 years or so?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
randomation":3gz90d99 said:
shiva1008":3gz90d99 said:
kearly":3gz90d99 said:

So basically the only white wideout drafted in the first in forever was a freak who also happened to be a bust and out of the league in 3 years or so?

Yep. That's how it works sometimes. It's also a cautionary tale about ignoring game tape that doesn't match testing numbers. It's why a guy like Martavious Bryant is so polarizing despite killing the combine. Is he Matt Jones? Or is he a guy who just started to get it and is going to be a steal? His interview process is probably going to be a big factor in his selection. Teams are going to have to really dig into the detail to get a sense on which he's going to turn into.

On topic though, Abbrederis was expected to excel in the agility drills. Those would confirm his route running ability which is excellent. For guys his size or bigger, only Jeff Janis, Allen Robinson and Devin Street really came close to matching his short area burst and agility.

randomation

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3a3bcjkb said:
randomation":3a3bcjkb said:
shiva1008":3a3bcjkb said:
kearly":3a3bcjkb said:

Yep. That's how it works sometimes. It's also a cautionary tale about ignoring game tape that doesn't match testing numbers. It's why a guy like Martavious Bryant is so polarizing despite killing the combine. Is he Matt Jones? Or is he a guy who just started to get it and is going to be a steal? His interview process is probably going to be a big factor in his selection. Teams are going to have to really dig into the detail to get a sense on which he's going to turn into.

Those would be my thoughts if we get him in like the 4th fine but let someone else burn a first rounder on his potential, most Clemson fans were not impressed by him from what I have heard.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2wr902xj said:
Assuming you re-sign Tate, that means retaining Baldwin may be too costly in 2015. Taking Abbrederis this year may be a nice hedge. If the FO is looking two years ahead (which I'm sure they are), this might be a great pick as I think Abbrederis has the potential to give you a lot of Baldwin has.

Good call...
Jared is a taller ADB and is comparable in mentality, route running and athleticism. ADB has better body control and agility IMO. Abby may fall in the draft after his combine showing. His height is less than ideal and now they are projecting him as a slot receiver. Its a DEEP class of receivers such that some are electing to test as TE. Abby had a few drops (one in the gauntlet and another in the over - the - shoulder catch IIRC. Of course it didn't help that he led his heat in each drill. He also had less strength and explosiveness in measurements than I thought he would.