Jalen Carter

GemCity

Reaction score
As much as I’m intrigued about Richardson and his athleticism coupled with Jaylen Carters “issues”, I’m not sure how we pass up on the best D-Tackle there’s been for the last several years.

Geno’s contract certainly supports grabbing a rookie QB. I don’t think Pete and John’s visits were smokescreens. Who knows when we’ll draft as high as top 5 again.

Not like any of us have a say in the matter but, I’ve reserved myself to being comfortable with any of the “common” names that’s been thrown around with our top pick.

Maybe it’s due to the number of holes we have on the team but, there’s at least some justification for each guy who’s name has been thrown around with this pick.

Exciting stuff!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
So, you're in his corner and there's nothing for the rest of us to worry about... or even to be concerned about.
It's not so much that I'm in his corner as it is I believe he represents the most significant improvement the Seahawks can possibly have in a position group with a single player in this draft. I also believe that while there might be legitimate concerns about him, being idle/stuck in neutral/lacking in drive or motivation are not among them, if his performance on the field is any indication.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
It's not so much that I'm in his corner as it is I believe he represents the most significant improvement the Seahawks can possibly have in a position group with a single player in this draft. I also believe that while there might be legitimate concerns about him, being idle/stuck in neutral/lacking in drive or motivation are not among them, if his performance on the field is any indication.
So what about the games he disappears in like the Ohio State game? He was gassed. The rest of the team was destroying the OSU OL and he was being shut down. I was watching the Wypler video and he was stonewalling Carter 1v1. Carter said he was doing windsprints between that game and the chamlionship, hoping to improve his conditioning before the TCU game. That to me screams a guy who is coasting on his ability. All of this is on less than 50% snap counts too, so it's not like he's out there every single play and getting gassed.

I don't think anyone is questioning his potential. If he didn't have the motivation/conditioning/attitude questions, he would be an easy choice. If he was "pissed off for greatness" I think the bears would have stayed put and drafted him at 1.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
So what about the games he disappears in like the Ohio State game? He was gassed. The rest of the team was destroying the OSU OL and he was being shut down. I was watching the Wypler video and he was stonewalling Carter 1v1. Carter said he was doing windsprints between that game and the chamlionship, hoping to improve his conditioning before the TCU game. That to me screams a guy who is coasting on his ability. All of this is on less than 50% snap counts too, so it's not like he's out there every single play and getting gassed.

I don't think anyone is questioning his potential. If he didn't have the motivation/conditioning/attitude questions, he would be an easy choice. If he was "pissed off for greatness" I think the bears would have stayed put and drafted him at 1.
Poles would only stay at #1 if he were unable to get the trade down package he wanted. Quote from Poles: “Getting four players is better than one.” That is especially true when team has needs nearly everywhere.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

No 5 was right where he was predicted to be picked at the combine before his arrest warrant came out. Before his conviction. His abysmal pro day.

Us picking him there reinforces not only that none of that matters But that none of what you noted about his college matters either.

So if You were him, why wouldn’t you continue doing exactly what you’ve done to result in your present success?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been down on Carter for a lack of drive and commitment but after reading his background in the annual draft guide (The Beast), The Athletic's Dane Brugler's assessment contains the following statements, which have me re-thinking about us taking Carter at #5 overall.

He started playing football at 5 years old and was also a standout basketball player (started dunking in the fifth grade). Carter played in middle school for the Apopka Raptors (at running back, cornerback, wide receiver, linebacker and quarterback) and Next Level in a seven-on- seven league. He also played basketball for Apopka and moved up a level because of his size (one of his basketball coaches was former NBA player Jason Williams). His coaches say he could have had a Zion Williamson-like path to the NBA if he had chosen to focus on basketball. Carter enrolled at Apopka High School (alma mater of Warren Sapp) and started on the freshman team before quickly advancing to varsity in his first season. Primarily an offensive player as an underclassman, he started at H-back because of his blocking, but also took direct snaps and played wide receiver. After the 2018 season, former defensive coordinator Jeff Rolson took over as head coach and moved Carter to the defensive line for his senior year. Playing both tackle and end, he accounted for 64 tackles and 12 sacks and led Apopka to the 2019 Class 8A state championship game (lost on a two-point conversion in the final seconds to Miami Columbus). Carter also played tight end and handled the punting duties as a senior. He lettered in basketball and weightlifting at Apopka. As a junior, Carter was the No. 2 qualifier in the 2A heavyweight division, benching 395 and clean jerked 320 for a 715 total.

You don't accomplish all of what he has without being driven. Now, he may have lost it, at least temporarily. The question remains... will he regain it?

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
Quandre Diggs discussed preferences for #5 on Richard Sherman's podcast, and said what he really hopes is that QBs go 1-4 so that Seattle could take Anderson.

But then he said that he'd definitely take Carter as well. He said that if you get him around Bobby, and with Cliff Avril hanging around, those guys would be great mentors for him and help him achieve his potential.

I have to say, having guys like Wagner and Avril around the team make me feel much more confident in taking someone like Carter.

NoGain

Reaction score
As some of you know, I've been down on Carter for a lack of drive and commitment but after reading his background in the annual draft guide (The Beast), The Athletic's Dane Brugler's assessment contains the following statements, which have me re-thinking about us taking Carter at #5 overall.

He started playing football at 5 years old and was also a standout basketball player (started dunking in the fifth grade). Carter played in middle school for the Apopka Raptors (at running back, cornerback, wide receiver, linebacker and quarterback) and Next Level in a seven-on- seven league. He also played basketball for Apopka and moved up a level because of his size (one of his basketball coaches was former NBA player Jason Williams). His coaches say he could have had a Zion Williamson-like path to the NBA if he had chosen to focus on basketball. Carter enrolled at Apopka High School (alma mater of Warren Sapp) and started on the freshman team before quickly advancing to varsity in his first season. Primarily an offensive player as an underclassman, he started at H-back because of his blocking, but also took direct snaps and played wide receiver. After the 2018 season, former defensive coordinator Jeff Rolson took over as head coach and moved Carter to the defensive line for his senior year. Playing both tackle and end, he accounted for 64 tackles and 12 sacks and led Apopka to the 2019 Class 8A state championship game (lost on a two-point conversion in the final seconds to Miami Columbus). Carter also played tight end and handled the punting duties as a senior. He lettered in basketball and weightlifting at Apopka. As a junior, Carter was the No. 2 qualifier in the 2A heavyweight division, benching 395 and clean jerked 320 for a 715 total.

You don't accomplish all of what he has without being driven. Now, he may have lost it, at least temporarily. The question remains... will he regain it?
Not to diminish his accomplishments in any way, but if you looked at the backgrounds of the top college recruits/NFL draft prospects, you could probably put a similar resume together. Most top recruits/prospects were shining star athletes at the high school level, the best of the best in their little neck of the woods. I think it's best to be looking at his commitment to his craft the past few years.

warden

Reaction score
Yes, though all of the known criminal behavior by McDowell happened after he was drafted and had the ATV accident. None of it would have factored into anyone’s decision whether or not to draft him.
So McDowell has a career ending injury on a personal activity before he takes a down in the NFL, so we must worry about Carter doing the same. It is a major major stretch at best to use this as any sort of example

nwHawk

Reaction score
Kids do stupid crap when they move away from home and live at college. Football players, especially in an elite program, feel invincible. Most don’t realize what they are doing in the moment. Chit happens, always has and definitely will for the foreseeable future.

Now the question is do you seen something in his personality that causes you to think he can’t or won’t mature while being around adults and professionals?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Kids do stupid crap when they move away from home and live at college. Football players, especially in an elite program, feel invincible. Most don’t realize what they are doing in the moment. Chit happens, always has and definitely will for the foreseeable future.

Now the question is do you seen something in his personality that causes you to think he can’t or won’t mature while being around adults and professionals?

Why hasn’t this shit happened to Tyree Wilson or Will Anderson then?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Anderson seems really mature and grounded. Might be that his 5 sisters and mom preach a different chorus to him. He’s impressive.

Sometimes kids get caught, sometimes they do things that no one ever finds out about. The culture at Georgia is a bit different.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Anderson seems really mature and grounded. Might be that his 5 sisters and mom preach a different chorus to him. He’s impressive.

Sometimes kids get caught, sometimes they do things that no one ever finds out about. The culture at Georgia is a bit different.

All their captains got in trouble with the law. Georgia has a staff person there whose dedicated job is to get men bailed out of whatever trouble they’re in. This is what Jalen knows.

If we get Jalen, let’s not pick Nolan Smith or any Georgia player.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I don’t think the Seahawks sent their top brass to Georgia’s Pro Day, so I don’t think we have to worry about that at all.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If both Anderson and Carter were on the table when I picked I would take Anderson. He is an every down game changing level player. If Anderson is gone and Carter is available that is a risk I would be willing to take, but I'd worry about the amount of time he has spent on the field due to being "gassed". We really need to make this #5 pick work to our benefit as we just don't get to pick that high often enough to let it go by without signing a very high level player.

Donn2390

Reaction score
So McDowell has a career ending injury on a personal activity before he takes a down in the NFL, so we must worry about Carter doing the same. It is a major major stretch at best to use this as any sort of example
Yeah, I can't understand those who try to compare the two situations, there is nothing to compare. Because McDowell turned out the way he did, it has absolutely no bearing on how someone else may turn out.
Saying PC & JS might have reservations because of McDowell is like saying that because of what happened to the Broncos last year, they will never draft another QB..
There are no two people alike, there are no two situations alike, every day is a new day..! I'm all for Carter but I will be happy whomever the brain trust goes for. Hopefully they stick with defense though.. I want assassins' playing on the defense, mean, ugly people with no sense of humor, just killer instincts..!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
No 5 was right where he was predicted to be picked at the combine before his arrest warrant came out. Before his conviction. His abysmal pro day.

Us picking him there reinforces not only that none of that matters But that none of what you noted about his college matters either.

So if You were him, why wouldn’t you continue doing exactly what you’ve done to result in your present success?
You keep saying that as if you think it's the Seahawks' job to administer life lessons to college graduates. It simply isn't.

To answer your question, though, the reason why I wouldn't necessarily continue on with exactly what I'd done to this point is that I'd be entering a different organization with different coaches, different leaders, different role models, different expectations, and different culture. The people there won't allow me to coast, won't allow me to get by, won't allow me to take plays off. They'll expect me to compete every minute I'm at the facilities. I won't be the only one there trying to get a job doing what I do. And if one of the people competing with me for the job I want is hungrier than me, working harder than me, trying harder than me, and competing harder than me, then everyone there is going to see that and let me know about it.

morgulon1

Reaction score

The fact he's not been in shape . Only played a limited number of snaps on a top defense yet still struggles with his conditioning. He's so special he won't be bothered with speaking with a NFL team not picking in the top 10. I wonder how motivated he'll be once he gets 20+ MM?

If Seattle takes Carter I hope I'm wrong and he's an All pro.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You keep saying that as if you think it's the Seahawks' job to administer life lessons to college graduates. It simply isn't.

To answer your question, though, the reason why I wouldn't necessarily continue on with exactly what I'd done to this point is that I'd be entering a different organization with different coaches, different leaders, different role models, different expectations, and different culture. The people there won't allow me to coast, won't allow me to get by, won't allow me to take plays off. They'll expect me to compete every minute I'm at the facilities. I won't be the only one there trying to get a job doing what I do. And if one of the people competing with me for the job I want is hungrier than me, working harder than me, trying harder than me, and competing harder than me, then everyone there is going to see that and let me know about it.
Players do coast all of the time when they get into the NFL. We see it all of the time, players that got by on natural talent in college, but rested on their laurels in the NFL.

In Carters case, it's definitely a GIANT question mark. His coach called him out on condition a year prior, he played a very small percentage of Georgia's snaps due to being winded. In the championship game he was gasping for air and put in minimum effort to get his conditioning up. At his pro-day he showed up overweight and couldn't even finish drills that were selected to showcase his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. In addition to that, Carter got a ticket for reckless driving, and a few months later had that incident with his friend dying.

There is a lot of smoke here regarding his dedication and effort to the game. In the NFL, you're no longer a big fish in a small pond. Those that don't rise to the occasion sink and end up washed out. A prerequisite for being great in the NFL is being dedicated to your craft.

The NFL players that have had character concerns that succeeded in Seattle never had questions about their motor or work ethic.