It’s Official: Hawks Hire Macdonald For HC

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
What's been eye opening for me, is reading how much the Ravens fans are down on John Harbaugh. Just watched the Locked on Ravens video from today and they are sad because most of them wanted John released and Macdonald promoted to HC.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That's such a great picture with Mike Morris greeting Mac.

Mac was his DC in college.

Last edited:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm excited that this worked out, if a little shocked. One of the very few hires that would have gotten me going.

I'm concerned about his youth, but I don't think that coaching a defense like the Ravens fielded this year could possibly happen by accident.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Here's the thing I'm most excited about (and this is slightly difficult to articulate):
Mike MacDonald is a critical thinking genius. This genius has been revealed at whatever he has set his mind to do (school, football, etc). As of right now, we have seen this genius manifest as a defensive coordinator. However, I'm very excited to see this skill/gift as it relates to leading an entire football team. Surely there are aspects of a football team (personnel, methodology, culture.. etc) that he hasn't been given the opportunity to impact as only a DC. I loved hearing him discuss the types of staff he'd be looking for (high character, clear communicators..etc), and surely he has thoughts on all aspects of a football team that his genius will impact in an elite way.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
The future is unwritten of course, and I'm excited about a new look Hawks. We're all looking in from the outside, so hard to tell what went on behind close doors. From outside it felt like the Seahawks Org waited around until all of the top coaching candidates were spoken for, and then went with a very PC-ish "third round pick" diamond in the rough coach, which has been the philosophy that maybe...needs to change. But...fresh blood! I have to be optimistic, but it reminds me of the Mariners mentality. Just be good enough to turn a tidy profit.

And the idea that Pete is going to hang around as some kindly old retired coach handing out the wisdom seems unlikely. Why would he? It's just business. Egos get bent. Alas.

Go Hawks.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Here's the thing I'm most excited about (and this is slightly difficult to articulate):
Mike MacDonald is a critical thinking genius. This genius has been revealed at whatever he has set his mind to do (school, football, etc). As of right now, we have seen this genius manifest as a defensive coordinator. However, I'm very excited to see this skill/gift as it relates to leading an entire football team. Surely there are aspects of a football team (personnel, methodology, culture.. etc) that he hasn't been given the opportunity to impact as only a DC. I loved hearing him discuss the types of staff he'd be looking for (high character, clear communicators..etc), and surely he has thoughts on all aspects of a football team that his genius will impact in an elite way.
Either you are his mom, a PR rep, have a man crush on him, or have delusional ideas about what exactly is going to happen this season. It is frightening. Get help. Or put down the pipe.

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
The future is unwritten of course, and I'm excited about a new look Hawks. We're all looking in from the outside, so hard to tell what went on behind close doors. From outside it felt like the Seahawks Org waited around until all of the top coaching candidates were spoken for, and then went with a very PC-ish "third round pick" diamond in the rough coach, which has been the philosophy that maybe...needs to change. But...fresh blood! I have to be optimistic, but it reminds me of the Mariners mentality. Just be good enough to turn a tidy profit.

And the idea that Pete is going to hang around as some kindly old retired coach handing out the wisdom seems unlikely. Why would he? It's just business. Egos get bent. Alas.

Go Hawks.

Macdonald is a pretty good coaching prospect, not surrwhy your take is this way lol. I think a lot of people had him as their number one choice. It's going to be refreshing to see something new, and not seeing whiffed tackles and 1st downs on 3rd and 20.

bileever

Reaction score
As we suspected, Macdonald chose the Seahawks even though he got an offer from the Commanders. (The poor Commanders might have also preferred Ben Johnson to Dan Quinn, according to the following article.)

I wonder if some of the other teams who interviewed Macdonald were also interested in him, but were told by Macdonald's agent that he saw Seattle as his preferred landing spot?

lukerguy

Reaction score
Either you are his mom, a PR rep, have a man crush on him, or have delusional ideas about what exactly is going to happen this season. It is frightening. Get help. Or put down the pipe.

Hiring Grubb another result of what I was trying to convey. Not sure you took it the right way given your response but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The future is bright. I suspect it will be more 2025 when they are where he wants them. He needs a year to mold the team in his vision.