Is Russell Wilson Fake?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
People overcome a lot of things. Everyday people every day, in fact.

And yes, I've been around people like him for years. It's not my favorite part of corporate life, but it is what it is.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it, that pretty much sums it up. Dude is corporate...corporate as all hell like a CEO.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Pathetic accusation against someone who does so much for the community and children.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":31nrkqrj said:

And yes, I've been around people like him for years. It's not my favorite part of corporate life, but it is what it is.

NOPE ^
If someone can make claims like this, they should be able to prove it eh?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
scutterhawk":gbv6gvc5 said:
vin.couve12":gbv6gvc5 said:

NOPE ^
Prove what? Which one? If it's the latter, are you really under the impression that RW is such a demigod that no one is like him?

Please answer. I'd really like to hear this one.

EDIT: Better yet, don't. I guess I'm a jerk for pulling someone's hero back down to planet earth.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hello all,

This conversation has been edited to remove discussion that is not appropriate for the main forums. Please feel free to continue the thread on topic. It is difficult to discuss Russel Wilson as a person without discussing religion. However, please refrain from discussing religion as a whole or your opinions on religion. This thread is about a person. And while it seems odd to have this much discussion debating the genuineness of another persons contributions to his community and our football team if the thread must continue please keep it on topic.

Further discussion on religion as a whole will be removed and posters will receive warnings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fake is the wrong word................I'd say Russell is sometimes too manufactured and careful about his image/brand.

That's why I loved his commencement speech so much, showed he does have a self deprecating endearing personality when he wants to show it. But we don't really see that side of Russell here. We mostly get the robotic cliches.

But with all the nonsense and bad dudes in the NFL, if the worst discussion we're having about our QB us whether he's fake or not? I say we're in good shape.

Cary Kollins

Reaction score
The comparison to a CEO is probably the best way to put it.

I could also see him getting into politics after football.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3orn3f53 said:
Fake is the wrong word................I'd say Russell is sometimes too manufactured and careful about his image/brand.

Fake or manufactured...it's the same thing. He's not saying what's truly on his mind in interviews. BUT as I wrote earlier, it's silly that people use it as a reason to bash him. He's being smart because like you wrote above he wants to protect his image/brand. Sadly being "real" is just not a smart career decision for the long haul, in just about any career really. Unless you are "the man", you gotta play his (or her) game. Hell even in the NFL if Goddell is "The Man', he still has to put up a fake/manufactured face. How much you wanna bet if he had his way he'd get up for every boo during the NFL draft and just say "You know what screw all of you, I can do what I want, now leave and pay me my money because you will".

253hawk

Reaction score
Cary Kollins":1kwa78q3 said:
The comparison to a CEO is probably the best way to put it.

I could also see him getting into politics after football.

Well, he does want to own an NFL or MLB team someday. Pretty high aspirations to have, especially for a football player. I don't think it's ever been done in the NFL because of the sheer net worth of the teams. If he thinks he has to be a yes man and be Carlton Banks for his whole career to get into that position, so be it.

If everything he's doing is fake and only out of self-interest, who cares, it's all working out. It doesn't change the fact that he still goes to the children's hospital every week, acts as a positive role model, and still puts up solid numbers on the field. The only thing that can change is people's perception of his motivations for doing so. Of all the problems that QBs have had over the years with image and scrutiny, his have to be near the very bottom of the list when it comes to objectivity.

rcaido

Reaction score
I always thought Wilson was a robot...

Anyway, i really dont see where you guys are getting fake from? All i see is a person who conducts himself in a professional manner. Not acting like a man child or whining to media or whatever is what you're suppose to do as a representative to your job.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":24g1dzuc said:
scutterhawk":24g1dzuc said:
vin.couve12":24g1dzuc said:

NOPE ^
Prove what? Which one? If it's the latter, are you really under the impression that RW is such a demigod that no one is like him?

EDIT: Better yet, don't. I guess I'm a jerk for pulling someone's hero back down to planet earth.

Pretty obvious that you were just blowing smoke.
Didn't expect that you would come up with a name.....So easy to say that you are meeting uber-successful people like RW in your everyday life, it's a lot harder to prove it eh? LOLOL

vin.couve12

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2j1fhpn8 said:
vin.couve12":2j1fhpn8 said:
scutterhawk":2j1fhpn8 said:
vin.couve12":2j1fhpn8 said:

NOPE ^

Didn't expect that you would come up with a name.....So easy to say that you are meeting uber-successful people like RW in your everyday life, it's a lot harder to prove it eh? LOLOL

You've missed the point entirely.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ZagHawk":12zd25q9 said:
Sgt. Largent":12zd25q9 said:

Fake or manufactured...it's the same thing. He's not saying what's truly on his mind in interviews. BUT as I wrote earlier, it's silly that people use it as a reason to bash him. He's being smart because like you wrote above he wants to protect his image/brand. Sadly being "real" is just not a smart career decision for the long haul, in just about any career really. Unless you are "the man", you gotta play his (or her) game. Hell even in the NFL if Goddell is "The Man', he still has to put up a fake/manufactured face. How much you wanna bet if he had his way he'd get up for every boo during the NFL draft and just say "You know what screw all of you, I can do what I want, now leave and pay me my money because you will".
IF, you don't mind and measure your words, you run the risks of folks defining you as they see fit.
Of course, no matter what he does, or don't say there's going to be folks making claims that they KNOW what's on your mind, and what makes you tic, when the truth is 99.9% of these Dr. Know-it-alls are making assessments on guys like Wilson are just as in the dark as the rest of us fans.
I don't idolize Russell Wilson, but I damned well respect what he's accomplished, and I figure that he get's the benefit of the doubt, and doesn't deserve some of the character assassination that he's been getting.
If some of Y'all don't agree with the path he's taken, that's on you, but for me?, he's a Seahawk that's trying to cross all the T's and dot all the I's, and from me?, he gets a mulligan.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1or10qli said:

NOPE ^
If someone can make claims like this, they should be able to prove it eh?[/quote]

EDIT: Better yet, don't. I guess I'm a jerk for pulling someone's hero back down to planet earth.[/quote]

Didn't expect that you would come up with a name.....So easy to say that you are meeting uber-successful people like RW in your everyday life, it's a lot harder to prove it eh? LOLOL[/quote]

You've missed the point entirely.[/quote]
Of this back & forth..I missed nothing.
I really didn't expect you to concede either.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I've got nothing to prove to you and I said I was going to stay out of this thread and that's what I'm doing (hence the deleted posts). You did miss the point entirely though (including your perception of who I said I know). It has nothing to do with me, who I know (which I equated to business execs), what RW has overcome as a QB, or anything else but RW's character type and general corporate facade. You decided to change the subject and make it about me and that's fine...it's merely a transparent deflection.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Imo vin has a point about Russell being perceived as corporate. It's what the possition dictates these days. Is he a worker or is he management?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
brimsalabim":s4d4ae43 said:
Imo vin has a point about Russell being perceived as corporate. It's what the possition dictates these days. Is he a worker or is he management?
The two aren't mutually exclusive. In all our emotional state of humanity we often think of things as "either or" and it's even fashionable to think so nowadays with this bi-politicism (kind of like racism) that we now see everywhere, but there is both and neither to varying degrees.

Yes, I just made that word up.

two dog

Reaction score
In the movie "Bull Durham", when Nuke LaLoosh practices his interviews with
Crash Davis, he notes that it's boring. "Of course, it's boring, that's the point".

Russell Wilson has taken that practice to an absolute art form. And why not?
With the predatory nature of journalists today, if you try to level with them, they
will either misquote you or, alternatively, simply make stuff up.

The mistake, I think, is listening to windbag "journalists" ascribing motive to a person
that they do not know at all. Will this stop them? It will not. Do these made up "facts"
bother them? It never has.

Do I know R. Wilson? Heck no, nor do I particularly want to. I know what he does
on a football field and that is the basis on which I praise or damn him.

Damn, I like the way he plays football.

Latest posts