Reaction score
joeshaney":rqdgss8l said:
Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Kearse
Norwood
= locks

Sure, I know, there's no such thing as locks.
But these dudes are locks. Kearse keeps getting better [Lazik].
People use Chris Harper as reasoning why Norwood could get cut. I argue the opposite. Knowing he won't be handed a job should be motivation for him. More importantly, I'd give 100:1 odds that Pete and John will not strike out twice in two years on 4th rd wrs. Won't happen.

No, the striking out on 4th round WRs skips years (Durham in 2011, Harper in 2013).

Actually, this FO seems to be good for one 4th round strikeout per season.

E.J. Wilson
Kris Durham
Jaye Howard
Chris Harper

On the flip side, we've gotten Turbin, Wright, and Thurmond in the 4th as well. So it could be argued that to keep a balance, two of our three 4th rounders this year will be solid contributors or better while one busts. :mrgreen:

lukerguy

Reaction score
There's still a whole lot of competing to be done before we can write him off.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Mick063":150mfsmd said:
I think Kearse has trade value after his spectacular touchdown in the Superbowl as well as some big plays sprinkled throughout the season. He flashed a memorable kickoff return in the last preseason as well. He is redundant with respect to size and he is due for a pay upgrade within two seasons. His current contract is very favorable for trade. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Only if Williams shines big in the offseason and preseason, Carroll felt they had to make room for Williams, and a team offered equitable value, do I envision that JS would pull the trigger on trading Kearse. Turning an UDFA into a draft pick is always a net gain as opposed to simply letting him become an unrestricted free agent in the near future. It depends on what they believe the compensatory pick would be I suppose.

As mentioned in previous posts, the most likely scenario is that Williams simply beats Rice for the final spot. Not a tall order considering the team has already released Rice once and they do show a penchant for staying collectively young.

In my opinion, Rice is going to have to work his butt off and stay on the field without health issues to keep the final spot. It is also possible that Rice and Williams push Norwood to the practice squad as well.

In the end, Rice, Williams, and Norwood are playing for two spots unless all three play their way into the fore mentioned Kearse trade.

This is the deepest I have seen the team at wide receiver in a long time.

Last time we were "potentially" this deep we had Darrell Jackson, Branch, Bobby Engram, Nate Burleson.

On paper we were pretty dangerous. Too bad we had an aweful O-line..

joeshaney

Reaction score
volsunghawk":zra1nmk9 said:
joeshaney":zra1nmk9 said:
Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Kearse
Norwood
= locks

Sure, I know, there's no such thing as locks.
But these dudes are locks. Kearse keeps getting better [Lazik].
People use Chris Harper as reasoning why Norwood could get cut. I argue the opposite. Knowing he won't be handed a job should be motivation for him. More importantly, I'd give 100:1 odds that Pete and John will not strike out twice in two years on 4th rd wrs. Won't happen.

No, the striking out on 4th round WRs skips years (Durham in 2011, Harper in 2013).

Actually, this FO seems to be good for one 4th round strikeout per season.

E.J. Wilson
Kris Durham
Jaye Howard
Chris Harper

On the flip side, we've gotten Turbin, Wright, and Thurmond in the 4th as well. So it could be argued that to keep a balance, two of our three 4th rounders this year will be solid contributors or better while one busts. :mrgreen:

OPETH!!!
New record soon my man.

CEHawk

Reaction score
If you listen to Carroll, the Seahawks went for players in the draft like those that have made them successful then he listed off, Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse as being those guys. It is not in PC/JS philosophy to break up that up, so I think those three are locks. From the reports it sounds as though Paul Richardson is everything they hoped for and is a lock as well.

Pete has also said he believes Kearse, Harvin and Richardson have the same catching radius as Rice and that is all they are concerned about. A very telling statement.

Beyond Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse and Richardson I think the last 1-2 spots are completely up in the air.

There is a lot of competition to go and we aren't really in need of a big receiver unless someone steps up. Luke Wilson has almost identical speed and measurables to Sidney Rice.... Sidney being faster after 40, but we don't need that.

Pete just said the other day that Walters has a shot at being their punt returner... Special teams performance will be a MAJOR factor in which receivers make the team.

General Manager

Reaction score
At some point there going to have to find a replacement for Rice as that big target WR maybe it's him we'll see.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LOCKS
Harvin
Baldwin
Kearse
Richardson

MOST LIKELY LOCK
Norwood

ON THE BUBBLE
Rice
Mathews
Lockette
Walters

I don't think Rice is a lock unless he proves to be better (would need to be fully healthy) than Kearse. If we keep 6 WRs, 5 and 6 need to play ST, Rice doesn't. I don't see us keeping Rice around as the 5 or 6 because he doesn't bring ST value.

kearly

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the team views Matthews and Rice as having equal footing right now. Matthews got a $10k guaranteed signing bonus, which is actually very high for a futures contract and decently close to what top UDFA players get. Rice meanwhile is mending from a knee injury and is historically a poor bet to play a full season.

I hope they choose Rice, who is a very good WR. But if Matthews makes it a close call I could see them letting Rice go because of the expected difference in health.

Seafan

Reaction score
Matthews has a legit chance. Do they keep 5, 6 or 7? Does one of the new guys make it to the PS? Does someone get injured in camp? Do they trade someone? Does Rice start on the PUP? A lot of possibilities.

No one earns a job in OTAs so it's too early to think about it.

But like I've said many times even before the draft, this roster is LOADED.