Is it me? Or was the line better w/rookies Forsythe & Curhan

nanomoz

Reaction score
I notice they both had a couple of superb blocks. Forsythe stood Bosa up a couple of times, and Curhan totally blasted a dude on a run.

Any thoughts?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Forsythe certainly went out there and made a statement. Curhan just isn't a guard, but I'm high on him as a tackle.

Fuller is god awful.

toffee

Reaction score
I have been advocating that we play these two at tackle as much as we could, we really shouldn't pin our future on Brown and Shell, regardless of short term benefits. Linemen takes time to develop and mature, only way to speed it up is the play them, and play them often. They shall make mistakes, no doubt, but football God give us this season to play them without too much worries on our W/L record.

OP
OP
nanomoz

nanomoz

Reaction score
To my eye, Shell has been much less effective this season. So either one of them getting snaps at right tackle could be a short-term upgrade, let alone the potential long-term benefits.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Love me some Forsythe. Hoping to see him get more and more reps, that kind of experience will be good for him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Remember that in addition to the three! Everett TOs there was also a fumble by Peterson that we recovered but contributed to stalling a drive, and a Russ fumble that we recovered but that also led to a stalled drive. When not dropping the ball the offense was actually doing far better than it seemed at the time.

Curhan took over in the second and gave up an early sack on a speed move that blew past him. He looked better in the second half but then gave up another sack on a blitz where there was confusion. He did do some nice things in the running game, including a pulling block where Bosa ceded ground rather than getting in his way.

Forsythe only had a few snaps but did his job with successful pass protections against Bosa and solid run blocks against Armstead. There was one running play where he got to the second level and then didn't seem to know which LB to pick up.

Center blocking continues to be overrated in this offense. Pocic helped out on some double teams and spent some time moving to the second level. However, much of his time in pass protection against the 49ers looked something like this.
VnNWGk2

The rest of the linemen played well but weren't tasked with that much. The quick passes made all the difference and there were twenty passes where Russ threw it fast enough that the protection didn't really matter. On the Eskridge TD Russ had plenty of time in the pocket and then stepped up to avoid edge pressure nicely.

On the flip side, the sack that Brown gave up was partly because it was a rare time when Russ held the ball a bit too long and then retreated backwards into edge pressure. Russ also had the ball a bit too long on the incompletion to Homer later in that drive.

Jville

Reaction score
nanomoz":l9l6hg9y said:
I notice they both had a couple of superb blocks. Forsythe stood Bosa up a couple of times, and Curhan totally blasted a dude on a run.

Any thoughts?

With Shell declared out for the Houston game, looks like we can look forward to a development player getting some needed game day snaps. :biggthumpup:

LTH

Reaction score
toffee":4td2rlpu said:
I have been advocating that we play these two at tackle as much as we could, we really shouldn't pin our future on Brown and Shell, regardless of short term benefits. Linemen takes time to develop and mature, only way to speed it up is the play them, and play them often. They shall make mistakes, no doubt, but football God give us this season to play them without too much worries on our W/L record.

Forsythe did alright... can you imagine having your first NFL start against Nick Bosa? Geeze... welcome to the NFL!

LTH

AgentDib

Reaction score
Forsythe only had 14 snaps and just a couple of those were against Bosa. I do think he's a good prospect but we really haven't seen enough of him on the field yet. Curhan had a much larger sample size since he came in during the second quarter and had 60 snaps, along with playing half of the Vikings game. I'll be curious to see which way they go.

toffee

Reaction score
LTH":1kjn2diw said:
toffee":1kjn2diw said:

Forsythe did alright... can you imagine having your first NFL start against Nick Bosa? Geeze... welcome to the NFL!

LTH
We won't know unless we play him.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
ArlosSpecial":3iw53fbe said:
It's just you. Forsythe is garbage

Well, it doesn't look like he's garbage on film, but even so it's worth remembering that this is literally his very first year in the NFL, and he was drafted in the 6th round (not some first round bust that some would call "normal" around these parts.)

I think these reps that he's getting during his first year are going to do wonders for him down the road and I'm all for it.

Jville

Reaction score
Sounds like Jake will get the start at right tackle if I correctly heard Pete's pregame remarks with Steve Raible.

Big Story! Big Day!

Latest posts