Is (Geno's) “Leadership” over-rated?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
In the recent weeks, a lot has been made of Geno Smith’s ability to “lead” a team.

I’ve always kinda of questioned though, how much does that really matter? We are talking about adults after all, who are making millions and who have clear cut expectations to succeed or be demoted cut/which the QB has no part in that decision.

Do these millionaire adults really require someone to ‘lead’ them? Do they require a mini-Pete rah-rahing their every play? This may just be my personal bias regarding real-work experience I’ve had, but I’ve just never looked to “the office” qb when there is a clear cut expectation of “did you do your job correctly?” Cool.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
I know leadership is widely misunderstood. It's a bit more than running around barking orders at people, and there are innumerable ways for leadership to show up in an individual.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't even know what else to say about it. lol. This is like asking, "Is discipline overrated?". I mean, I have very little and I get by. That doesn't mean it's overrated.
Leadership especially in an environment like football where your teammates are constantly in flux and you've got big egos to manage is important, yeah.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
No. Some people don't have self motivation and lack the ability to just...do (something, anything).

Ex; dude I work with literally needs to be baby sat for 8 hours. How he even remembers to breathe blows my mind.

I imagine there are people just like this in the NFL, and need that leader more than ever because they're an investment on contract, ha.

toffee

Reaction score
Do you consider Wilson's tenure of last 5 years successful? If you do, then leadership isn't important. If you don't, then leadership is.

OP
OP
bbsplitter

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Sorry was out of state for a while. It seems like most of the responses are addressing my OP as if I was asking if leadership in general is over-rated, but I am specifically asking if it is sometimes an over-valued aspect in specifically a QB.

@CouchLogic You're example of a lazy co-worker is a perfect reinforcement of that. That co-worker should have been fired a lot time ago, by the manager/powers that be hold that power and who are supposed to be exhibiting that leadership. It sounds like other employees are trying make up for that leadership void by guiding that employee along, but it is obviously not working.

The same I think applies to QB's. They are supposed to be "one of the guys" on the team. They are not firing any staff members, demoting other players, trading any players off the team, ETC. I think there are a lot of situations and characteristics that people confuse as a leadership aspect to a person on a football team.

Being a likable teammate is not leadership, being a "veteran" does not equate to leadership, imparting knowledge on a younger player does not equate to leadership. Some of the people showing these same exact traits go on to fail at coaching because of this.

My main point was though, I just think it's over-rated to promote Geno for his "leadership" ability when he is just a player. If Lock is a 10% better football player, he should be playing. (I don't know if he is)

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Obviously lock is NOT a better qb at this point in his career or he would be starting

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I know leadership is widely misunderstood. It's a bit more than running around barking orders at people, and there are innumerable ways for leadership to show up in an individual.
I like the saying "You lead by example". And I'd have a hard time taking someone seriously who just got a DUI and acted like a complete moron.

toffee

Reaction score
leadership is making someone willingly follow you or your order, to the extend of making some level of sacrifice, again, willingly.

Therefore, a boss is not necessary a leader, as the boss's authority was granted not earned. i.e. you can be team captain, but your subordinates will only do what they have to, sometimes unwillingly. A true leader captures one's loyalty and imagination.

Is Geno a true leader or is he just a locker room pal? When the whole locker room as a common 'enemy', it easy to pal around as one of the oppositions. But who knows, I don't have access to locker room, do you?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I like the saying "You lead by example". And I'd have a hard time taking someone seriously who just got a DUI and acted like a complete moron.
Are true leaders people who have not made mistakes in their lives or is a true leader someone who made a mistake took responsibility for it learnrd snd movrd on... im sure you personally have Never made a mistake in your life... please teach all of us who have...

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Are true leaders people who have not made mistakes in their lives or is a true leader someone who made a mistake took responsibility for it learnrd snd movrd on... im sure you personally have Never made a mistake in your life... please teach all of us who have...
Hence the word "just" being used in my post. It's not like the next day you are a different person. You're just regretting the personal consequences of your decision at that point. I've made plenty of mistakes, but it takes reflection and growth to actually become a different person.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Hence the word "just" being used in my post. It's not like the next day you are a different person. You're just regretting the personal consequences of your decision at that point. I've made plenty of mistakes, but it takes reflection and growth to actually become a different person.
Yes it does ...i just dont think it my job to judge someone else as how am i supposed to know how much reflection and growth that person has done in their life... maybe you feel differently about it?

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
You have to have leadership to begin with before it can be overrated.

Did I miss something? When was Geno considered a leader?

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
The better question is when was geno NOT concidered a leader? if you listen to the Seahawk players they all say he is a leader if you listen to the coaches they all say he is a leader. So if the players and coaches say he is a leader than one has to assume he is a leader. Right?

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
How good of a leader he is, I have no idea, but leadership is an ex factor that sets apart the good from the great. ESPECIALLY playing a game where the players are making millions whether they win or lose. Leadership directly effects accountability, focus and motivation.