Interesting reading on RG3's injury and Shanny's LIES

SharkHawk

Reaction score
What a disgrace. James Andrews is THE most respected orthopedic surgeon in the nation, and he had to sit there and listen to this crap? What if things had been worse? Andrews would have been called a quack and such. It could have done irreparable harm to a career he has spent years building. Sorry Shanahan, but this is one of the jerkiest things I've ever seen a coach do. Flat out classless garbage.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... nst-ravens

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
If true, it's bad mojo. That said, I don't particularly trust the media, and I think this would have been out a lot sooner. There is likely more to it than this :)

Twisted

Reaction score
yea I said that the day he was hit, why did he return in that game?

why did he return to the game so quick? 2 weeks? OK...

hawksfan515

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":1xfthcdk said:
If true, it's bad mojo. That said, I don't particularly trust the media, and I think this would have been out a lot sooner. There is likely more to it than this :)

Thanks for being classy KDawg. Even in the Hawks win, I hope you come back. No one will make you eat crow.

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1812lfld said:
KDawg_ES":1812lfld said:

Thanks for being classy KDawg. Even in the Hawks win, I hope you come back. No one will make you eat crow.

Don't tell my fellow 'Skins fans, but I think most of you guys are pretty fun to talk football with. I don't have ill will, it's a football game. May the best team win. Whatever happens, I'll be humble in victory and show humility in defeat :)

drastik

Reaction score
James Andrews is an employee of the Washington Redskins, it seems kind of odd he would make these comments the day prior the team's first playoff game in 5 years?

Strange.

SilNWest

Reaction score
If true, this is despicable. They could very well be risking a good young man's football career just so they can win one game. I'll reserve judgement, but if the doctors comments are his, then I trust his word over any coach.

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
SilNWest":98syw02p said:
If true, this is despicable. They could very well be risking a good young man's football career just so they can win one game. I'll reserve judgement, but if the doctors comments are his, then I trust his word over any coach.

Perhaps. But there's a lot that could have happened. Shanahan is coaching a football game. When Griff ran back on the field, it's entirely possible that he had no idea if Andrews had cleared him or not, and Shanahan was under the impression that he had. *shrug*

Who knows. Like I said, if Shanahan flat out lied, that's not a good thing. But I find the timing of the article and the lack of info in the article a bit odd. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash eventually.

SilNWest

Reaction score
KDawg_ES":28etaxm3 said:
SilNWest":28etaxm3 said:

Perhaps. But there's a lot that could have happened. Shanahan is coaching a football game. When Griff ran back on the field, it's entirely possible that he had no idea if Andrews had cleared him or not, and Shanahan was under the impression that he had. *shrug*

Who knows. Like I said, if Shanahan flat out lied, that's not a good thing. But I find the timing of the article and the lack of info in the article a bit odd. I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash eventually.

Yea the timing is very weird. It wouldn't surprise me if someone kept this in his back pocket until playoff time to get more publicity. However, it's Shanny's responsibility to make sure his players (and especially his YOUNG players) are healthy after they limp off the field. Hopefully its a bunch of crap, I'd like to believe that any head coach would speak with the doctor before risking someones health like that.

sutz

Reaction score
It almost sounds like RGIII himself avoided the docs when he left the field, and just went back out there, with Shannie assuming he had been cleared. Players will do things like that if they can get away with it, being pumped on adrenaline they are often not aware of how serious an injury might be.

IAE, that's some bad stuff there.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Shanahan claimed he spoke with Andrews. Andrews said it didn't happen. Why would Andrews say this? Because it is likely true. There is no benefit at all for him to say something that isn't true. He is protecting himself as a physician, because this is his job. He works on athletes for many teams and is the foremost expert on joint injuries in the world perhaps. He has heard for weeks how he cleared Griffin. Somebody finally got to Dr. Andrews and asked him if this was true, and he said no. Why? Because it's his job to be honest about medical treatment provided. He provided none. He didn't give clearance, and the discussion with Shanahan never happened. Sure it might be hurtful to the Redskins as he is an employee on gamedays, but his hippocratic oath is more important to him as a practitioner of medicine and a world renowned surgeon. If he is supposedly clearing a guy to go play and he's not supposed to be, then he's harming his reputation, his business, but more importantly putting somebody's health and safety in serious jeopardy.

This seems to be a pattern with Shanahan on the injury front. He says whatever he wants, doesn't follow NFL rules on injuries, and now is claiming non-existent conversations with doctors. I believe he talked to Andrews later in the game and took him out on his advice, but he never re-inserted him into the game after a play on his advice. To me that is a flat out lie by Shanahan and he owes an explanation to the league and an apology to Dr. Andrews.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
sutz":2qhn0yxf said:
It almost sounds like RGIII himself avoided the docs when he left the field, and just went back out there, with Shannie assuming he had been cleared. Players will do things like that if they can get away with it, being pumped on adrenaline they are often not aware of how serious an injury might be.

But to make up a discussion he had in that time period where Griffin was off the field as if he and Dr. Andrews were directly speaking and Andrews said go ahead and return and that is why Robert returned is unconscionable.

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
there was no time for him to get checked out (yes they should have made time!!) as he re-entered the game 24 seconds later . . . how do you get medically cleared in 24 seconds?? . . . at the same time, this is not a head injury, so protocal is not defined by the NFL . . . players have gone back in and played with torn ligaments and broken bones, so with RGIII trotting around the sidelines begging to go back into the game it is kind of understandable to allow him to try . . .but don't say he was medically cleared if he wasn't . . . and like someone else mentioned, RGIII could have lied to Shanny and said he had been cleared (Dr. Andrews did say RGIII walked a loop (basically) from Shanny to him back to Shanny, then wen't back into the game . . .

I just hope its ready for today . . . good luck to you guys!! . . . Go Redskins!!! RGIII !! RGIII !! RGIII !!

GCrow

Reaction score
sutz":2a920njc said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... y/1811689/

In this article Shannahan is quoted as saying Andrews directly told him that Bob Griffin could go right back in, so theres also that

taz291819

Reaction score
drastik":o5sxvott said:
James Andrews is an employee of the Washington Redskins, it seems kind of odd he would make these comments the day prior the team's first playoff game in 5 years?

Strange.

I didn't know he worked specifically for the Redskins, but you're right. He's the team doctor for the Redskins, Alabama, and Auburn. Dude keeps busy.

KDawg_ES

Reaction score
Shark, you may absolutely be correct.

I just know through various reasons that the media sensationalizes things. It could be as simple as miscommunication or as complicated as a tangled web of Shanahan lies. I'm just apprehensive is all :)

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1yedn9ek said:
Guess who's trying to sell a book this weekend?

James Andrews.

So he's making this up? I'm not sure what your angle is. Dr. Andrews is probably the richest surgeon in America and will operate on professional athletes of any sport and has saved more careers than I can count. He has flat out changed the fact that what were career ending injuries 20 years ago are now situations where guys will return within 6 months or less. He's an amazing surgeon and has nothing but information to share and pass on to the next generation of surgeons. I know people who have been operated on by Dr. Andrews and there is no question that he is the best of the business.

You hear the quotes here and his "nervousness". All it takes is one big lie to ruin a career, and I am sure he was nervous for Robert's health, but I'm sure he was nervous for somebody claiming he had cleared somebody he never looked at and ran his tests on. He probably felt betrayed and I am sure I'd feel the same. What Shanahan did was unfair at the very least by at minimum changing the time table of when things took place.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
taz291819":2h5grgtd said:
drastik":2h5grgtd said:

Strange.

I didn't know he worked specifically for the Redskins, but you're right. He's the team doctor for the Redskins, Alabama, and Auburn. Dude keeps busy.

He has a book out this weekend.

This puts his name in the news.

Book sales increase.

He's using the media to sell books.

Latest posts