Interesting Fact: Robert Selah (49ers DC)

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1fy7hspq said:
NINEster":1fy7hspq said:
Saleh >>>> that traitor Ken Norton Jr.

Bradley and Quinn.....man what a difference a year or two makes.
Ken Norton Jr. just knows the Seahawks are a better organization to spend your career with. Don't hate on him for that fact. :lol:
More like his option was linebackers coach in a rebuilding San Francisco or defensive coordinator in an already talented defense in Seattle. It was an easy call and I don’t blame him at all.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Marvin49":1a9tqz8e said:
xray":1a9tqz8e said:
Sgt. Largent":1a9tqz8e said:
NINEster":1a9tqz8e said:
Saleh >>>> that traitor Ken Norton Jr.

Bradley and Quinn.....man what a difference a year or two makes.

It's funny how much credit coaches and coordinators get with very little mention of personnel. Hasn't Saleh been in SF since 2017? Where was all the praise for him the past two seasons when the Niners were getting their head's kicked in defensively? 14th in total defense in 2018 and 24th in total defense in 2017.

Gee, have #1 picks all over your roster and buckets of free agent cap space to spend filling in needs, and voila, all of a sudden this dude's a defensive genius.
Exactly...good teams are built with available money and the best available talent to spend it on . Coaching is many times blamed for things out of their control . They need a core of great players to have a great team . The best coach in the world can't do much with a locker room full of UDFAs that they got for cheap .

So true, especially in this D. The whole point is to make it simple so players can play fast. If you don't have the horses, it doesn't matter.

That's Why Seattle was good in that system. That's why the Jags were good in that system and thats why now the Niners are good in that system.

It doesn't matter if you get the coach if you don't spend the resources to get the horses. I mean tell me if I'm wrong, but yes, the draft was great for Seattle in picking up 3/4 of the LOB and Bobby Wagner, but it seems to me they REALLY took off when they acquired Avril and Bennett.

I wish I could remember who said it (Bill Walsh? Bill Parcells? I can't remember) but SOMEBODY once said "You can scheme offense, but on D you need athletes".
I think that... ehem... Mike Nolan said something very similar to that...

sc85sis

Reaction score
People oversimplify in favor of (or against) coaches or players all the time. It takes both. The greatest coach ever still needs players to execute. The best, most athletic players still need coaching and scheme. One can elevate the other, but being consistently good or great requires the combo of the two.