Instant Reaction: Rate the Harvin trade

I feel the Harvin trade was:

• A masterstroke: Harvin is easily worth the price

Votes: 118 39.2%
  • It's very expensive, but Harvin makes good sense

Votes: 142 47.2%
  • Given the high cost, this deal should probably "break even" overall.

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • Why not Revis or maybe Suh instead? Harumph!

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • This is the Deion Branch trade all over again.

Votes: 14 4.7%

• Total voters

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1j1ph3g8 said:
I think it may be a possibility that Rice is gone, this year or more likely next, thus the re-signing of the young players would be significantly less of a problem. I'd expect the Seahawks to draft a tall/fast WR in the mid-late rounds this year as a potential replacement for Rice - this year & possibly next year as well. Just my opinion.
Yep!!
I'm foolish I know, but that's why I still want to go after Ryan Swope, the kid is really fast, and if indeed Rice does go bye bye after 13, we would have his replacement being fitted and groomed to take the field in his place.
We still have to address the "Pass Rush", but I TRUST THAT P.C. & J.S. will take care of that issue in short order.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1bpt8ruj said:
fridayfrenzy":1bpt8ruj said:
Last 16 games for Percy Harvin

112 receptions
1496 offensive yards
11 offensive TDs
Kickoff Return TD

Not too shabby

With Christian Ponder as his QB.

He's the best of Joey Galloway, Leon Washington and Golden Tate all wrapped into one.

Yup! And with the way RW spreads the ball around, Percy will feel less of a need to press, which lessens the potential for injury. In contrast, AP will be pressing to the max next season.

BASF

Reaction score
A couple of concerns I have on this addition essentially boil down to Russell Wilson. I love Wilson and marked hard when we drafted him, however there are a couple of things that he does not excel at that are to Harvin's strengths. Even going back to his NC State days, Wilson does not throw well to the short middle and one of the best areas to get Harvin the ball is underneath the LB's and allow him to create in that area. Harvin is also a huge run after the catch guy where hitting him in stride is the best thing for him, but Wilson has always (again back to his NC State days) been a little high and away from receivers (probably to avoid the possibility of interceptions) to hit them in full stride.

I know that Wilson and Harvin will both put in the work to improve on these things and I hope that I am way overstating these concerns.

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Harvin being compared to Branch is silly imho. Branch came from a team with arguably one of the best to ever play. Brady elevates his receivers with his talent and turns mediocre players into good players, good players into great players (God that hurt as I can't stand Brady but I have to be honest). Harvin comes from a team with an aging vet in Favre and Christian Ponder.

A

Anonymous

Who is it that said "the best defense is a good offense"?

I'm not too concerned about the defense when our offense just took a huge step forward. From what I'm reading around the inter webs, our O is now looking like the gold standard of the league with the Harvin signing. Can't wait to see the scoreboard light up this year.

With the 25+ million in guaranteed money, it means the FO now must finish-out by making all the right moves following this huge deal. It changes the "plan" significantly. The really good news being guys that are not so much about the money and more about winning a championship will want to play for this team. How long has it been (or have we ever been) a team marquis players want to play for?

To me, it is all about the moves that follow this one.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I voted expensive, but good sense. I like how PH adds insurance both ways. If Lynch gets hurt/suspended from the DUI and misses games. We got it covered. Similarly if an injury happens in the WR corps and we have to start an inferior player, PH still adds his unpredictability and explosiveness to the passing game to mask the dropoff in talent.

Well worth the $11m as Lynch approaching 30 insurance + I'd say good for 800 yards directly in the passing game + just the thought of him on the field with multiple offensive weapons and RW is a defensive laxative.

BallHawk

Reaction score
What you have to ask yourself is where would he go in the draft this year. Percy Harvin is a top 5 pick at the least top 10. It would take our 1st and more likely next years 1st or this years 2nd and a handful of other picks to move up to get him. We got a great deal on this. Minnesota also came out feeling good on this as well. The catch phrase they keep saying is this is a win-win trade which is exactly what you want.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I voted break even. Watching the Harvin highlight reels, he's an explosive player.

However, his injuries and the big contract worries me. He will improve the explosiveness of our offense tremendously, and it's cool to look at it from the standpoint that
we basically drafted him with a 1st round pick.

But if he's unhealthy for stretches of the season, the trade will be a flop.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I voted masterstroke. I can't even remember how many times I watched Russ run around, buying time and waiting for someone to get open last year. At times, that was in vain. Harvin makes the entire WR corps better as he will take coverage away from the other guys. If he's in the slot does anyone think they'll cover him with a nickel? Not likely so then one of our other guys gets the nickel and gets open. Dynamic player that will add points on the scoreboard and help put opposing teams in catch up mode meaning they'll become one dimensional by having to throw a lot thus making pass rushing easier for our defense. If he stays healthy this is one of the best moves the Hawks have ever made IMO.

EDIT to add: The Hawks were near the bottom of all the receiving catagories last year. Some of that was of course due to the shackles not being taken off RW until around the Shitcago game. But the YAC stat is not related to that and I believe out team was 30th in that catagory. All of that will change with Percy onboard, especially YAC.

GO ZAGS!!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
What I like about is that the FO wasn't sitting on the offense. As they have done all along, they found a way to improve. It is a sign that they are determined to win.

The Seahawks lost a total (including playoffs) of 6 games by a combined 27 points. We are talking 4 points a game. They are going to do what they can to change the differential in their favor on both sides of the ball. I really don't see Harvin as the "feature" player, I see him as a higher big-play guy in the mix with everyone else. Wilson spreads the ball out to EVERYONE and having Harvin will exploit that in a big way.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Man, I don't get the crowd that thinks it cost a lot. We traded a first round pick and a 3rd round pick essentially for a superstar playmaker, who is 24 years old today. Look at what Atlanta gave up for Julio Jones and he hadn't played a down in the NFL.

Russell Wilson and Percy Harvin, two guys who eat, sleep and breathe football, and are one-of-a-kind, dynamic players get to spend THE ENTIRE PRIMES OF THEIR CAREERS in Seattle. They are going to be so special. Meanwhile, the rest of the offense averages like 26 years old as well.

The Seahawks are clearly going to pay for offense and draft defense. They can maintain this for a LONG time with these two guys in place for the next five years.

Anyway, I'd have been okay if we gave up more for a guy that does not have a peer as a swiss army knife-do everything offensive weapon, so I voted for a masterstroke.

Tacomaterror

Reaction score
If he can stay healthy the trade was a steal. Your talking about a probowl player for a pick not even in the top fifteen. The pricetag isn't too excessive considering clemone and hill are reaching the end of their respective careers.

If he plays we hit the jackpot.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Just an interesting tidbit for those fans that are stoked - and that's most of us, myself included - about picking up Harvin, but have been saying our WR corps isn't very good. Here's FO's ratings for the four WR's since Harvin's rookie year:

2012:
Rice 265
Tate 246
Harvin 119
Baldwin 45

2011:
Percy Harvin 145
Doug Baldwin 174
Sidney Rice 45
Golden Tate -10

2010:
Harvin 157
Rice: 36
Tate -41

2009:
Harvin 178
Rice 483

Harvin has never had a year - even under Favre - as good as Rice and Tate had last year. Baldwin's rookie year under TJack was equivalent to Harvin's best year with Favre. So to put a little perspective on things: our WR corps has always been pretty darned good. It's Rice we should all be watching for this season. 2009 he was scary good. Best in the NFL. Then the injury. Then he never got on track the first year with us, injury and TJack. Then RW had his learning curve and kept missing a wide open Rice the first half of the season. This year, with Harvin to draw attention, Tate continuing to get better and Wilson with a full season under his belt, I am thinking Rice may return to being Rice again.

We already had a dang good WR corps.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2s1f2bvf said:
Just an interesting tidbit for those fans that are stoked - and that's most of us, myself included - about picking up Harvin, but have been saying our WR corps isn't very good. Here's FO's ratings for the four WR's since Harvin's rookie year:

2012:
Rice 265
Tate 246
Harvin 119
Baldwin 45

2011:
Percy Harvin 145
Doug Baldwin 174
Sidney Rice 45
Golden Tate -10

2010:
Harvin 157
Rice: 36
Tate -41

2009:
Harvin 178
Rice 483

Harvin has never had a year - even under Favre - as good as Rice and Tate had last year. Baldwin's rookie year under TJack was equivalent to Harvin's best year with Favre. So to put a little perspective on things: our WR corps has always been pretty darned good. It's Rice we should all be watching for this season. 2009 he was scary good. Best in the NFL. Then the injury. Then he never got on track the first year with us, injury and TJack. Then RW had his learning curve and kept missing a wide open Rice the first half of the season. This year, with Harvin to draw attention, Tate continuing to get better and Wilson with a full season under his belt, I am thinking Rice may return to being Rice again.

We already had a dang good WR corps.

With the way the ball will be spread between Harvin, Tate, Baldwin and Rice, I doubt Rice will ever come close to his 2009 figure.

acbass

Reaction score
Our front office would not mortgage the future to get them. I know they kept in mind the players they will have to resign on defense when making this trade. It's not a ridiculous contract by any means. At this point in time I refuse to question their decision making. Look at what they've built in a few short years. They wouldn't jeopardize that. Trust me, if you think it could be an issue, these guys are already 10 steps ahead of you.