I'll Admit It: We Are A Very Lucky Team

HawkFreak

Reaction score
irocdave":19g6nj0c said:
When a gimme field goal kick is missed at the end of a game in the playoffs, that's called LUCK. If that kick is blocked, it's not called LUCK.

Honestly - people can call it whatever they want to. A win is a win. No asterisk in the record books for a "lucky" missed FG.

But just for fun...I'm actually choosing to go with the explanation that Sherman "mentally" blocked that last FG attempt by getting in Walsh's head after just missing the block on the earlier attempt. So I guess that would be "not luck" by your logic.

Bottom line - the Vikings didn't execute - doesn't matter of it's a FG, punt, pass, run, defensive play, etc. They didn't get it done when the game was on the line...so they deserved to lose.

Go Hawks!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
irocdave":jax0i8dz said:
Hawkpower":jax0i8dz said:
irocdave":jax0i8dz said:
The Hawks got lucky today, no question about it. I really cant understand how anyone who watched the game can say otherwise. Agreed, there's no reason to apologize for it, but it is what it is. The Hawks were outplayed and normally would have lost this game. The "luck bucket" has to be just about empty after this one.

The offense was atrocious. RW had a horrible game, over throws, throws off the mark, this just killed the passing game and any continuity on offense. Might just have something to do with the record cold...might have to go back and rub some posters face in a couple of posts in a different thread...

The offense was so bad today the Hawks should have lost this game.

Were the Vikings Lucky that Ryan thought he could run for the first down, and thus handing them three points?

Were the Vikings Lucky that it was -6 degrees, and hence evened the playing field by slowing down our passing game?
Were the Hawks lucky the kicker missed, with Zero impetus from a Hawks player, a field that gets made 99% of the time? O yea, that field goal attempt was with like 30 seconds left in the game, the game that the Hawks O crapped the bed and could nothing.

Answer that captain Hawk fan.

"Captian Hawk fan"?

Whats up with the attitude from a fellow hawk? You are a hawk fan, yes?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":q4doxpmt said:
Why is there such a negative stigma with the word "luck." Some fans on here act like it is a slap in the face. Nothing wrong with being lucky. If anything, it's a good thing.
As I'm fond of saying at the blackjack table, luck pays better than skill.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1qhwy1nr said:
There's not an NFL team that has ever played in the history of the game that didn't require some measurement of luck to win a football game.
This^
And to add.... erroneous Officiating can and does trump 'Luck'
Untimely bad calls, missed penalties and ignored penalties...Those are human errors that aren't taken into account.
Like my Wife said, and I won't argue, Richard Sherman nearly blocked the earlier Field Goal, and must have gotten into the kickers head, making him hurry his attempt on the next go-round, and it wasn't luck that caused him to pull to the left. :vodka:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ambrose83":18939ff7 said:
ctrcat":18939ff7 said:
Cam throwing an uncontested, wide open game winner in the dirt in 2012 and DeAngelo Williams (2nd fewest fumbles ever for a RB with 1,000 carries) fumbling inside the 10 WAS luck. But I also think the Hawks were a better team than the Panthers those years.

Luck? That was a great play by ear Thomas to knock that ball out... Gtfoh
Yeah, ball didn't just fall out of Williams' hands.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3c8qiqnl said:
Why can't some Hawk fans just admit we are lucky. There is nothing wrong with it.

Missing a point blank 20 yard field goal is luck.

Last year vs GB had a lot to do with luck.

Sure we control a lot of these outcomes, but without lady luck, we lose most of those games I listed.

As a longtime Seattle fan, I can recognize luck, because most of the times our teams were on the otherside of this conversation.
You understand luck is part of every game in every sport pretty much right?That fg today is part of the game,they are not gimmees when pressure is involved.That can happen to any kicker.You just cannot say that we are here just by luck.Pete is always in every game and the way we play makes things happen.

irocdave

Reaction score
Hawkpower":ncnvh18m said:
irocdave":ncnvh18m said:
Hawkpower":ncnvh18m said:
irocdave":ncnvh18m said:
The Hawks got lucky today, no question about it. I really cant understand how anyone who watched the game can say otherwise. Agreed, there's no reason to apologize for it, but it is what it is. The Hawks were outplayed and normally would have lost this game. The "luck bucket" has to be just about empty after this one.

The offense was atrocious. RW had a horrible game, over throws, throws off the mark, this just killed the passing game and any continuity on offense. Might just have something to do with the record cold...might have to go back and rub some posters face in a couple of posts in a different thread...

Were the Vikings Lucky that Ryan thought he could run for the first down, and thus handing them three points?

Were the Vikings Lucky that it was -6 degrees, and hence evened the playing field by slowing down our passing game?
Were the Hawks lucky the kicker missed, with Zero impetus from a Hawks player, a field that gets made 99% of the time? O yea, that field goal attempt was with like 30 seconds left in the game, the game that the Hawks O crapped the bed and could nothing.

Answer that captain Hawk fan.

"Captian Hawk fan"?

Whats up with the attitude from a fellow hawk? You are a hawk fan, yes?

Yes, I'm a Hawk fan, just sick and tired of the arrogance from some of our fan base. Nothing can influence the outcome of a game, hawks will stomp everyone, no luck involved, WE in every post about the hawks. So much arrogance, I see our most belligerent fan base turning in to the typical niner toilet zone loudmouth, blow hard fan with a key board. Never seen the downside of luck. Never seen when you team just isn't good enough. Don't let this site go down that path, which it seems to be well on it's way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i don't believe in luck. Never did I say we played well. Opposite actually.

You seem set on making posters feel bad about a pretty emotional win and the criticize the board for celebrating. Have a word with yourself

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3b0bupvv said:
Why can't some Hawk fans just admit we are lucky. There is nothing wrong with it.

Missing a point blank 20 yard field goal is luck.

Last year vs GB had a lot to do with luck.

Sure we control a lot of these outcomes, but without lady luck, we lose most of those games I listed.

As a longtime Seattle fan, I can recognize luck, because most of the times our teams were on the otherside of this conversation.
Why bother spending so much time, money and effort in fielding a top 5 Defense when all you really need is 'Luck'?
The Seahawks had crappy luck in the early part of the Season, with all those close games that we lost, but lots of practice, hard work and good luck when Russell Wilson & his Receivers tore it up in the second half of the Season?
Gotta throw in some bad luck though, he did it without Graham, Lynch, Rawls & Willson.
You can't count on luck to pull your fat out of the fire, you have to make your luck work for you.
Lucky bounces?, now that's a different story.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Iroc-

Well, I guess I have to disagree. Other than a few, seems like most of us here are pretty reasonable.

Im also not sure that the flipside of the luck argument means what you think it means. I dont think fans are arguing against luck because they are too prideful or arrogant to admit the Seahawks were fortunate.

Every team that wins an NFL game has things that go their way. Every team that loses has breaks that go against them.

camdawg

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1lfzwjzt said:
ctrcat":1lfzwjzt said:
Cam throwing an uncontested, wide open game winner in the dirt in 2012 and DeAngelo Williams (2nd fewest fumbles ever for a RB with 1,000 carries) fumbling inside the 10 WAS luck. But I also think the Hawks were a better team than the Panthers those years.

Luck? That was a great play by ear Thomas to knock that ball out... Gtfoh

Yes, and the only "luck" involved in the 2012 game was that Carolina was even close enough for the Newton incompletion to matter. Except for the Munnerlyn pick, Russ played very well. Cam played horribly. BB beasted and made one of the nastiest strips you'll ever see after Newton pitched to DeAngelo. "Superman" was supposed to take another couple of steps toward Browner, to force BB to make a decision to take him or the pitch back. But "Superman" wanted no part of BB, and set up Brandon's great strip.

The Panthers were outgained by over 100 yards, Newton played horribly, and that "lucky" play happened because Cam was under serious pressure and was throwing across his body. Which makes the incompletion a very reasonable result.

irocdave

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2az7slav said:
Iroc-

Well, I guess I have to disagree. Other than a few, seems like most of us here are pretty reasonable.

Im also not sure that the flipside of the luck argument means what you think it means. I dont think fans are arguing against luck because they are too prideful or arrogant to admit the Seahawks were fortunate.

Every team that wins an NFL game has things that go their way. Every team that loses has breaks that go against them.

I see two things happening. Hawk fans being totally oblivious to the bounce of the ball just plain luck and others who know that that the bounce of the ball isn't luck. Then there are plays like today that extend the Hawks season. Yes, the hawks playoff was bad luck to have to play in one of the coldest games ever played. I get that, I also mentioned the impact of the weather conditions, but lots of ignorant, loudmouth homer fans discounted the real impact of playing in these conditions and RW supporters rejoiced that this was going to be a blow out. The Hawks should have lost this game, 98.% of the time but these same yahoo posters will be bellowing about how great the offense is and destiny etc.
This game came down to dumb luck. The blowhards need to STFU. Put the cone down and pay attention to what is really happening. Been watching this team since day one and looking at how the new fans are acting pisses me off.

The reaction to SF fans had to do with how they belittle Hawk fans, now these we have lame ass hawk fans being just as dumb ass the fans we love to hate on.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
irocdave":2lj69nf2 said:
Hawkpower":2lj69nf2 said:
Iroc-

I see two things happening. Hawk fans being totally oblivious to the bounce of the ball just plain luck and others who know that that the bounce of the ball isn't luck. Then there are plays like today that extend the Hawks season. Yes, the hawks playoff was bad luck to have to play in one of the coldest games ever played. I get that, I also mentioned the impact of the weather conditions, but lots of ignorant, loudmouth homer fans discounted the real impact of playing in these conditions and RW supporters rejoiced that this was going to be a blow out. The Hawks should have lost this game, 98.% of the time but these same yahoo posters will be bellowing about how great the offense is and destiny etc.
This game came down to dumb luck. The blowhards need to STFU. Put the cone down and pay attention to what is really happening. Been watching this team since day one and looking at how the new fans are acting pisses me off.

The reaction to SF fans had to do with how they belittle Hawk fans, now these we have lame ass hawk fans being just as dumb ass the fans we love to hate on.

Well you are certainly welcome to your opinion, but that seems like an gross overreaction in this thread.

Arguing about the semantics of luck, especially when the Vikings enjoyed some rare plays that translated into points themselves, hardly seems to scream "arrogant blowhards" to me.

peppersjap

Reaction score
How do other teams performing badly equal us being lucky? Romo fumbled, the Packers allowed us back in the game and Walsh missed the kick! We just were able to take advantage of opportunities!

TXHawk

Reaction score
The reason for the "luck" is that the Seahawks don't get blown out and virtually always have a chance to win at the end of games. The Seahawks record of being competitive in every single game over a 4+ year span is unmatched in NFL history. When a team consistently does that it's inevitable they will get some breaks here and there to put them over the top. No one remembers "lucky" breaks like shanked field goals or botched snaps or bad calls that go your way when a team is down by a couple of scores late and has no realistic shot of winning. It's simple math, the more often you are competitive late in games the more often you are likely to get a break that goes your way and helps you win.

Also, the Hawks have become one of the league's marquee teams and play a lot of big games on national TV so these kind of "lucky" breaks reach a much larger audience and are more memorable. Do you think a "Fail Mary" play or a shanked 27 yard field goal would've gotten much attention in a Jags-Titans game on a Sunday afternoon?

The Seahawks aren't any luckier than any other team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yep, there is little doubt the Hawks were lucky yesterday. However, it was one of those "the harder I work the luckier I get" type situations. Sherm had almost blocked the previous FG and that was in the kicker's head, their holder didn't spin the ball to mover the laces and our ST was rushing the kick typically well even when it was cold as heck, kickers shank it at times when they are under pressure. Saying purely that the team won by luck implies a lack of respect for the reality Seattle outplayed Minnie in the 4th Q. Call it karma, call it luck, preparation and effort meeting opportunity, call it whatever you like. It's all good!

Smile and say sometimes it's better to be lucky that just good, it doesn't hurt to allow the Vikings that respect for a well played game where they came up short, and missed wide left. That sucks for them and our guys need to play better on O next game which won't be played in such difficult conditions. For us it was an ugly Win but a win (as an aside: to me lucky or not,any win when looked at hard is not just lucky), and it's now onto Carolina.

GO HAWKS!!!

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
irocdave":16vvd98l said:
The Hawks got lucky today, no question about it. I really cant understand how anyone who watched the game can say otherwise. Agreed, there's no reason to apologize for it, but it is what it is. The Hawks offense was totally outplayed and normally would have lost this game. The "luck bucket" has to be just about empty after this one.

The offense was atrocious. The only reason the Hawks were in this game was because of the D and the offense not fumbling the ball. RW had a horrible game, over throws, throws off the mark, this just killed the passing game and any continuity on offense. Might just have something to do with the record cold...might have to go back and rub some posters face in a couple of posts in a different thread...

Why was our offense so bad we should have lost, but theirs wasn't?

That doesn't make any sense.

BASF

Reaction score
So many things to reply to in this thread. Just wow.

Bottom line Blair Walsh and Jeff Locke:
RMiller choke

Players choking in pressure situations is not luck for the opposing team. It reflects poor choices by the coach and general manager by putting players in the position to find out that the game is too big for them. The thing about Carroll and Schneider is that they do not keep players who the game is too big for. A couple of examples from this season are Dion Bailey and Cary Williams.

Michael Irvin is a buffoon and Marshall Faulk is not a great analyst, but they said something after the game that I think is more true than anyone can possibly realize unless placed in the situation: There is no way to simulate trying to kick a game winning field goal in the playoffs. Locke and Walsh's first time in the situation ended the Vikings season because they were not strong enough mentally to handle the situation. Zimmer and Spielman hold culpability for that, not luck.

As far as the narrative of been a fan for x amounts of years and have seen us (yes we as Seahawk fans have a lot invested in this team to include ourselves when we have more passion for the team than a lot of the players who have put on the uniform) lose on luck and whatnot. We failed so many times over the years simply because the game was too big for our team, either talent wise or mentally.*

*Officials have directly cost us four games that I truly recall: Testaverde's helmet TD game, Ravens game that Troy Smith beat us when the refs gave them an extra forty something seconds to tie the game, XL*, and the phantom block in the back call against the Browns.