Ifs, whiffs, and gifs.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Great stuff as always Scotte. A lot of great insight/observations by everybody.

My thought on that first play was it is designed to goto our left side on the rub route but the defensive jail break in Wilson's face forces him to goto the only hot read as noted. He knows there is no time to wait for other routes to develop and Lynch is his check down dumpoff but the CB plays it smartly as mentioned knowing it.

Thought on Bevell.
He has some good games and great plays when he gets in the groove but far too few IMO.
It appears to me one big thing not mentioned on him is it really seems like he overthinks some times. He reminds me of the guy in the movie Princess Bride when he is trying to figure out which glass of wine has the poison in it. He thinks to himself this situation calls for a good run....but they know that too so I should fool them with a good pass...but they no doubt realize that so I will make it look like a pass and run it. The result is too often a mess. Sometimes, "...you just gotta take a hammer and hit the damn nail until it is in."

drdiags

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2yjcabgx said:
What is the source of these gifs? Did you make them yourself?

Looks like NFL Game Pass Coaches All-22 clips. You see a lot of the folks on the web using this feature for play diagnosis. Looks like they redid the offering a tad this year. I am waiting to see if season ticket holders get this gifted to them again like last year. It used to cost @ $70.00/yr. Not sure what the cost is now.

https://www.nfl.com/gamepass?icampaign=Prod_GP_Nav

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2gxkgv77 said:
Sep%2016%202015%201801_zps9djubkue.gif

THis play was always going at Bailey. It was an Iso, and the ball is actually out before he falls.
Sep2016202015201747 zpslscmiv9x
I thought a worse play by Cary Williams was this one. The first one was a physical mistake, this play he doesn't appear to know what he is doing.

The thing that really stands out to me on that play is how quickly Earl closed to almost get him. Very reminiscent of last year at home when he knocked the ball out at the one. One step closer and he would have had him.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2sgp8ga8 said:
drdiags":2sgp8ga8 said:
FlyHawksFly":2sgp8ga8 said:
What is the source of these gifs? Did you make them yourself?

Looks like NFL Game Pass Coaches All-22 clips. You see a lot of the folks on the web using this feature for play diagnosis. Looks like they redid the offering a tad this year. I am waiting to see if season ticket holders get this gifted to them again like last year. It used to cost @ $70.00/yr. Not sure what the cost is now.

https://www.nfl.com/gamepass?icampaign=Prod_GP_Nav

Yes, I figure it was this. I was more so wondering if these were original creations (the gifs) or if they were sourced from another person. I know reddit has a lot of GIF makers, as well as fieldgulls and other websites.
I have the gamepass and a gif capture, easy peezy.

Tical21

Reaction score
Very nicely done man, really cool stuff.

The pick on the play to Lynch is an unacceptable pass. It's unacceptable that Lynch ever runs a hitch to begin with, but even worse that the ball was thrown. The Rams only sent five. We got tricked and didn't slide our protection the right way, so Britt ends up blocking nobody, while they have an extra guy run free. Russ does need to diagnose that. Or if he can't, and gets fooled, he needs to take the sack. You only need hot routes when they have more guys blitzing than you have blocking, in theory. You can have them anyways, but you'll be lucky to get to them with an undiagnosed free blitzer anyways. Russell needs to eat that ball, plain and simple. The Rams tricked us and won. We need to live to fight another day there. If we block it correctly, we've got big play potential there though. You can't just break off all your routes every time the defense sends a fifth rusher.

Tical21

Reaction score
On the rollout, I think you might have a touchdown to Baldwin in the corner, which is where that is dictated to go against a tampa-2. The safety played it pretty well though. Eventually, you would like Russell to get back to Kearse, who kind of ran a lazy route but I believe also had a TD crossing the field. The Rams had been running soft cover 2 or 3 all game long. I think we got what we wanted there, I just don't think Baldwin won his route like we would have preferred.

justafan

Reaction score
It was a great write up and i appreciate the time you took.

One of my problems with analysing plays or reading other peoples take is we are we are dealing with only part of the information.The only people that know for sure where a play breaks down are the ones in the film room or on the practice field.We can only assume what each players role was and if they did carry out the assignment.

Many Qbs have 2 or 3 plays and can swith at the line.How much do we know is on Wilson.There are always audibles for every play.Wrs do have options and it is their responsibility to break off the routes if they see blitz or run a different route to attack the Ds week point.

I love reading other peoples breakdowns but that is where I struggle.
Even 2 misteps by a WR can breakdown a play and cost you the gameThe problem is we may never know why a play fails.

As far as the play action,ya i dont get that at all.

After looking at that 3rd and 4 again and again..It was dead as soon as Sweezy waived to the blitzer on his way to block the LB downfield.
Im not sure if i would call Lynch a hot route.It looked like Lockette should have broke that off by the 40 yd line on a slant or curl in past the 1st down.
On that play it wouldnt surprise if 3 or 4 people blew their assignments.

The second play the movement or slide of the line is to mimic a run on the play action.I love the play but the Rams beat Wilson rolling out to his spot.They know thats one of our counters off the run.You are right though if Wilson would have pulled the trigger earlier than the play was designed it would have been a good gain.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2cvv6gok said:
Zebulon Dak":2cvv6gok said:
I swear they don't call stuff based on personnel. They rotate guys in and out at WR & TE and just expect them to fill the role of the play called. They don't think "ok, this is the situation and this is what we need to happen so we better have A do this and B do this and C do this". Not since Percy at least, where it was clear that they were trying to get him the ball. 3s & 4s are expected to be able to do the same things as 1s & 2s. It's like they expect no drop off as they go down the depth chart. It's really interesting to me.

And it's the same thing when it comes to the situation. When people question Bevell's situational awareness. I think that's just it, Pete doesn't require him to use it. Or have it. Just call plays that you think will work and mix it up. It's why 4th & 1 might be a delayed hand off, or it might be a rub/slant route or it might be a seam route to the end zone. Call a play that you think will work and don't worry about what down it is or how many yards to the line to gain. Some times you end up looking like a genius and sometimes you end up looking like a schmuck.

I'm far from an expert. This is just the way I'm seeing things.
I know you think I am a bevell basher. And I am, so good on you for your awareness. But it isn't a play being guessed right by the other team that bothers me, and never has. It is when I can't explain why that play call had an above average chance of working. Early in the Rams game there is a play where the Rams buzz a 9th guy into the box to stop Lynch. Now, that does not bother me at all if the Hawks run, a well designed zone block can put 4 on 4 blocking on one side and if he gets through that first wall, big ass play. But when they show blitz and there are no hot routes, that just doesn't make any sense.

Can you imagine Phil Jackson ever devising a game plan where he had Shaq shooting 3 pointers a few times a game? That is what Bevell's playcalls feel like a handful of times per game. Mostly explainable. But sometimes you just scratch your head and wonder WTF was that I just saw?

I would disagree on one point: there are times we've seen obvious run blitzes. They blitz right to the gap that Lynch is running to, and it's a fail. Why can't we audible out to a run to the other side ? Or at least move the play away from obvious pressure ? Like you said, if you run on a blitz and get through the line, you usually gash a team for a big play.

Is it Wilson not being allowed to change a play ? Is it Wilson not seeing the play ? I'm not being critical in a lot of my posts, I'm just genuinely curious. We're going to see a TON of blitzes this year if we don't handle them any better than we did last week. Especially against the Cardinals, who have trouble getting QB pressure.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
To any who disagree with one or all of my criticism and observations, I will be the first to say I have no way of knowing. It is just speculation. I think I'm right, but so what.

I hope to have enough time to do more.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":392pces9 said:
To any who disagree with one or all of my criticism and observations, I will be the first to say I have no way of knowing. It is just speculation. I think I'm right, but so what.

Agree or disagree, your effort is much appreciated, Scotte.

justafan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ieieu0g said:

I do believe you are the best on the sight for analysing the game and i do respect your opinions very much.
Hope to see more.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
As with your work last year on these postings, You do educate me and that is all I could ask for. Thank you.