Ifedi playing his best ?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":1gr7223p said:
Sgt. Largent":1gr7223p said:
massari":1gr7223p said:
It's amazing how they continue to stick with him when Fant and Jones are available.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1178738539036471296[/tweet]

Because Jones is playing for Fluker now and if you move Fant to RT then you lose a big chunk of your offensive packages when Fant comes in as a 6th blocker/TE.

Not defending Ifedi, he stinks.......but it's not as simple as taking him out and putting Jones and/or Fant in, as that means other parts of your line and playcalling suffers.
Fluker has only been out for one week

.......and Jones just came back from injury. So I doubt Pete's just going to throw him out there at RT without significant practice time at that spot, and now that means Pocic is playing guard.

So you might be weakening two spots on your O-line, and have no roster depth in case either gets hurt during the game.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":zfdbgi1k said:
massari":zfdbgi1k said:
Sgt. Largent":zfdbgi1k said:
massari":zfdbgi1k said:
It's amazing how they continue to stick with him when Fant and Jones are available.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1178738539036471296[/tweet]

Because Jones is playing for Fluker now and if you move Fant to RT then you lose a big chunk of your offensive packages when Fant comes in as a 6th blocker/TE.

Not defending Ifedi, he stinks.......but it's not as simple as taking him out and putting Jones and/or Fant in, as that means other parts of your line and playcalling suffers.

.......and Jones just came back from injury. So I doubt Pete's just going to throw him out there at RT without significant practice time at that spot, and now that means Pocic is playing guard.

So you might be weakening two spots on your O-line, and have no roster depth in case either gets hurt during the game.
So you think it's a great plan to have a weak RT because you absolutely must have Fant as a blocking TE.....ok lol.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":68aeazcs said:
Sgt. Largent":68aeazcs said:
massari":68aeazcs said:
Sgt. Largent":68aeazcs said:

So you think it's a great plan to have a weak RT because you absolutely must have Fant as a blocking TE.....ok lol.

Yep, cause Fant is a big part of our blocking schemes and playcalling.

Not sure why you think he's a big upgrade over Ifedi anyway. Fant's poor play and constant injuries three years ago is the reason Brown's on the team now. Remember that? He was one of the worst rated tackles in the league before he got hurt.

Now all of sudden he's going to be an amazing RT?

- Death
- Taxes
- Every backup is amazing

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35zka679 said:
massari":35zka679 said:
Sgt. Largent":35zka679 said:
massari":35zka679 said:

Not sure why you think he's a big upgrade over Ifedi anyway. Fant's poor play and constant injuries three years ago is the reason Brown's on the team now. Remember that? He was one of the worst rated tackles in the league before he got hurt.

- Death
- Taxes

Fant didnt play a single snap in the regular season the year we signed Brown.

He didnt have an opportunity to demonstrate growth following his first full off season as a football player since middle school.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":2yy47wlx said:
Sgt. Largent":2yy47wlx said:
massari":2yy47wlx said:
Sgt. Largent":2yy47wlx said:

- Death
- Taxes

Fant didnt play a single snap in the regular season the year we signed Brown.

He didnt have an opportunity to demonstrate growth following his first full off season as a football player since middle school.

1. I didn't say he played the same year as Brown, I said Fant's injuries and not securing the LT spot is the reason we had to give up draft capital to get Brown.

2. Fant was an undrafted basketball player converted to tackle as another one of Cable's "projects", so not sure why you guys think he's better than Ifedi.

Yeah if he was healthy all camp and pre-season I'm sure he would have been competing for Ifedi's job. Be he wasn't, and still isn't. Thus not a great idea to just throw him out there and not only compromise the RT spot, but erase 20% of our run playbook.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's due to be replaced at the end of the season as his rookie deal will be done.

I do not believe this player will be re-signed.

McGruff

Reaction score
Oh, I misunderstood.

But the point remains, we have no idea how good of a OL Fant is, only that he grades better than Ifedi, albeit while mostly blocking linebackers.

I do agree that for this year at least I prefer him as a 6th lineman.

getnasty

Reaction score
Fant would be starting if the staff thought he was better. Like said before Fant is block linebacks for a dozen play a game and Ifedi has had to deal with Watt, Matthews, Cam Jordan and Chandler Jones

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Ifedi's greatest ability is availability. And honestly that puts him in the fan's line of fire more that anyone else on the line. Can't screw up if you are injured on the bench.

Have to give the guy at least credit for being tough and staying on the field.

But I will say that he is better than "terrible". Even the 60th ranked tackle is better than a ton of guys that couldn't make it in the league or serve only as backups. The derision goes a little far at times on this board. I think the best way to look at Ifedi is he's imminently replaceable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":39ivnbov said:
Fant would be starting if the staff thought he was better. Like said before Fant is block linebacks for a dozen play a game and Ifedi has had to deal with Watt, Matthews, Cam Jordan and Chandler Jones

Bingo.

Add in the fact that Fant didn't have an entire camp and pre-season to take all the snaps with the #1 unit and get acclimated to playing the other side of the line.

Other than QB, tackle might be the most difficult position to just throw in the backup and expect him to perform at a high level.

I get it, we all are disappointed with Ifedi, and have been for some time. But unless he's hurt and you need Fant to come in, or Jones and put Pocic at guard? Then Ifedi it has to be. Just messes with the rest of the line too much, a line that isn't exactly setting the league on fire right now as it is.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
The entire OL looks to be heading for thin ice . I really thought they would make some leaps of improvement this season . Wrong again ! :cry:

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bi7p4xl7 said:

- Death
- Taxes
Who said Fant and Jones are an upgrade over Ifedi :?. Nobody knows. Carroll was even surprised about Jones' performance last week. Ifedi has been starting for 3 years. Time to give Jones/Fant a shot.

Fant's poor play from years ago when he first started playing OL? Safe to say he's going to be a lot more polished today.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1f8a9zdg said:
Fortunately, we can pound the rock and the Browns O-Line is crap as well.
Agreed...two crappy OLs to watch . that's show biz

Jville

Reaction score
Germain Ifedi is the only offensive lineman to play every snap in 2019. He's valuable along with Russell Wilson who is the only other member of the Seahawk offense to play every snap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's durable without question, but not worth paying 2nd contract big dollars to retain.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3dd9ny6m said:
James in PA":3dd9ny6m said:
Ifedi cannot he trusted. Every time you think he might be starting to turn the corner, he gets a drive-killing holding penalty at the most inopportune moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious.

When is the most opportune time to get a drive killing holding penalty?

Victory formation. :mrgreen:

Jville

Reaction score
I would assume that the roster for next year's offensive line will look a lot different.

I'm just looking at it one day at a time and one week at a time. Roos was added this week. Phil Haynes will become available for consideration next week. I think the roster make up of the offensive line is very much in play. And that is a story very much worth watching unfold.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DJrmb":8u8j3nri said:
Maybe by "he's playing his best" Pete actually means: "He's playing the best he can" :lol:
This^^^ All to hell.
What I think Pete was saying; --> I think Ifedi is giving us HIS best efforts.
:229031_shrug: I guessing What some of the posters on here thinks Pete should have said --> "I think he sucks butt, and I can't wait to ditch his ass"
Read between the lines guys. :domotwak:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This fieldgulls.com article below tells us statistically what we can see on the field. I suspect ifedi is in his last season here. Pete is just putting lipstick on a piggie.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/10/10/2 ... te-carroll

The OLine is an area of of significant problem and has been for some while. Jville is right to think it is an area in play and an area where the team may make some major changes soon.

Latest posts