If the Saints lose...

Polaris

Reaction score
SEAHAWKBLITZ":2fw7chi2 said:
How does the tiebreaker work? Best the niners can do is tie us. We have the same division record and are 1-1 vs the Niners. Plus we beat the Saints and the Panthers who beat the niners. How can they still win the division if we drop our last 2? I know this isn;t going to happen, just curious, i would have thought that the victories over common opponents would give us the edge.

No problem. The issue arises because Goodell in his "infinate" wisdom backloaded our division games. Basically San Fran has played five of their six division games going 4-1 while we've only played four of our six division games going 3-1. Thus in order for San Fran and Seattle to wind up tied (at 12-4) Seattle has to have a division record of 3-3 while San Fran would have a division record of 5-1.

If Seattle doesn't lose to San Fran in division record, the Seattle beats San Fran with a better record regardless and so it's moot.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2tofvh1r said:
This would be true if we had taken care of the Niners.

Unfortunately we let the Niners hang around.

They could still end up the #1 seed and we could end up #5. Should have taken care of business.

Who cares about the Niners? The NFL just stuck the Hawks at home and put one game between them and HFA with two games left.

Look at it this way, worrying about it isn't going to change anything. Expecting a team to go 15-1 is a pretty lofty expectation. So is 14-2, but it is likely going to happen.

I say screw the Niners, they beat average and bad teams and struggle with good ones, even at home. They are screwed in the post season. No first round bye, no cupcake home game, no choke team waiting for them in Atlanta.

They are dead to me... Enjoy the ride.

FairWeatherFan

Reaction score
SEAHAWKBLITZ":bm7mnlvo said:
How does the tiebreaker work? Best the niners can do is tie us. We have the same division record and are 1-1 vs the Niners. Plus we beat the Saints and the Panthers who beat the niners. How can they still win the division if we drop our last 2? I know this isn;t going to happen, just curious, i would have thought that the victories over common opponents would give us the edge.

>>> Clicky Linky <<<

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1hny6tz9 said:
No. The Niners can still overtake us if we lose out and they win out.

That's true. If we lose the last two games against the Cards and StL and the Niners win their last two, it would go down to winning percentage within our division, and they will have swept both while we'd split with both. We'd have a 12-4 record and end up with a wild card. Boy, wouldn't that suck?

The Saints took themselves out of the HFA picture today. They'll be lucky to win their division as they have to play at Carolina next week, and as we've seen, the Saints are a completely different team on the road.

As was stated, our magic number is 1, either a loss by the Niners or a win by us gives us the division and HFA. I think we beat the Cards easily next Sunday. The Clink will really be rocking!

Zorn76

Reaction score
I understand the paranoia being a Seahawks fan, and subsequently focusing on "what can go wrong" or "What if...".

But the fact remains that this Seahawks team ( and last year's, to a lesser degree) is the best one we've had in franchise history. That's because we are clutch, and mentally tougher than any team in the NFL right now, and have been all year.

Even our 2 losses were games in which we could've won, yet didn't choke them away, either. And it's the latter that was always a factor for the Seahawk teams past. Historically, we've been a team that's confident AFTER the fact. When we had a huge lead, then we believed. Conversely, when we got stomached punched early in a game - regular season or playoffs - we usually folded.

The 2013 Seattle Seahawks are different. So while technically, yes, anything is possible, you have to focus instead on the facts. And that facts are that we are the best team in the conference, that we've proven it on the field, and that we hold the best HFA in the game.

I have no doubt that, one week from now, we will reclaim the NFC West and gain HFA throughout the playoffs.

Latest posts