If I'm Pete Carroll...

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Also, for clarification, I'd trade for either Josh Gordon or Justin Blackmon and get one. Not both of them.

As it has been said multiple times in this thread already, if our receivers can't beat press man coverage with a single safety over the top we have problems...

Ozzy

Reaction score
I put most of the blame on the O line but the original poster has a point. We couldn't beat our guys one on one. Would a guy like Gordon help? Of course he would.

StoneCold

Reaction score
We do not need better receivers. Though with Rice going down with a knee last night we might need a replacement for him. We need better blocking. Last night we were out coached and out played between the 5 yard lines. If not for an amazingly stout effort at the goal line and a flukey, underthrown, taunt riddled lucky pass for a TD we lose that game. Oh and the missed 51 yard field goal. We were out coached and we didn't make any adjustments. The number of times I saw a Rams linemen come in untouched was astounding. I remember one play where Zach was lined up just outside Long, Long was completely uncovered, at the snap Zach heads to block a corner and Long smashes RW to the ground unimpeded. WTF.

We need a better blocking scheme. We needed to make better adjustments on Offense and we didn't. I still can't believe we won that game. Truthfully it doesn't feel like a win. That said I hope I get to feel this way after the Superbowl cuz whether I like it or not we is 7-1. :)

SC

Shock2k

Reaction score
Technically if you were Pete Carroll you wouldn't be making trades, that's John Sneider.

Josh Gordon for a #1 draft pick is a no brainer, Sydney Rice is not long for the Seahawks. But it would cost more than a #1 draft pick because of the draft position based on the Seahawks record. So it would probably cost you a 1 and 2, or 1 and a 3/4.

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Shock2k":10cu1qg8 said:
Technically if you were Pete Carroll you wouldn't be making trades, that's John Sneider.

Josh Gordon for a #1 draft pick is a no brainer, Sydney Rice is not long for the Seahawks. But it would cost more than a #1 draft pick because of the draft position based on the Seahawks record. So it would probably cost you a 1 and 2, or 1 and a 3/4.

It was "leaked" that they wanted a second round pick for him... I'd be more than happy to send them our second round pick @ 32 =)

Shock2k

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":1gzhnkoh said:
Shock2k":1gzhnkoh said:

It was "leaked" that they wanted a second round pick for him... I'd be more than happy to send them our second round pick @ 32 =)

Well it would have to be done by 1:00 PST today. Don't think they could work that fast.

ensett

Reaction score
This isnt a video game, you dont need a fleet of elite 6'5 WRs. Nobody does. Wilson need to take more chances, he is afraid to throw people open

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3alji0if said:
When you allow that many sacks 2 games in a row, the problem isn't WR.

Save for Tate's big TD.. WR's weren't beating the press all game. It enabled the Rams to peel their ears back and go after Wilson.

If Rice and Harvin cant go Sunday.. its not going to get any easier.

Not advocating for trading for two WR's, but just saying that a lack of a true #1 REALLY showed last night.

OP
OP
bigdaddydave

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1tf68ch7 said:
Largent80":1tf68ch7 said:
When you allow that many sacks 2 games in a row, the problem isn't WR.

Save for Tate's big TD.. WR's weren't beating the press all game. It enabled the Rams to peel their ears back and go after Wilson.

If Rice and Harvin cant go Sunday.. its not going to get any easier.

Not advocating for trading for two WR's, but just saying that a lack of a true #1 REALLY showed last night.

#Truth - I'm not advocating for trading for two WR's either and I guess I should of clarified. I would like to see us get ONE of those guys thought.

jblaze

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":1h039uyb said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1h039uyb said:
bigdaddydave":1h039uyb said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1h039uyb said:
So we're going to mortgage virtually our entire 2014 draft on two receivers who don't know our scheme or playbook... and expect them to perform right off the bat?

Mortgage a 2014 draft where most of the drafted players won't make the team... Or mortgage a 2013 SuperBowl run because we have lack a #1 WR...

How do you know most of the players won't make the team? We're going to have to pay Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Michael Bennett in the off-season. There are going to be some high profile cuts. And the only way to stay ahead of the eight ball is to replace those veterans who are cut with draft picks.

And as I said, you can't expect young receivers to just change teams and produce. They need time to learn the playbook, learn the routes, get an understanding with the quarterback. It's not as simple as plug in and play.

One other point -- Gordon is one strike away from a possible life ban. Blackmon has been a pain in the arse for Jacksonville so far and served a four game suspension this year. Not exactly the kind of guys you rush out to get.

How many players made the team from this years draft and are playing? Also, Pete & John aren't known to be the best drafters of Receiver talent... Sidney & Zach are going to be cut/asked to take a massive pay cut to stay on the team next year.

Zach's salary the next couple of years is actually pretty manageable. It was front loaded so he'll probably be ok.

Rice on the other hand, cut his salary in half or cut him, period.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
ensett":2fjbq0rp said:
This isnt a video game, you dont need a fleet of elite 6'5 WRs. Nobody does. Wilson need to take more chances, he is afraid to throw people open

Pretty tough to do when you have a defensive end in your facemask in under 3 seconds.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigdaddydave":eq0v78o4 said:
8 man stacked boxes are what we can expect for the rest of the season with our receiving crew

You can stack the box all you want on any team with a good run game, but you still have to have the personnel to be successful.

The Rams over the past 2-3 years have always been a bad matchup for us with their nasty D-Line, and last night was no different. Of course we could have played better, but let's give the Rams credit as well. This was the first game this year when we didn't match the other team's intensity level.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2nhbdd56 said:
bigdaddydave":2nhbdd56 said:
8 man stacked boxes are what we can expect for the rest of the season with our receiving crew

You can stack the box all you want on any team with a good run game, but you still have to have the personnel to be successful.

The Rams over the past 2-3 years have always been a bad matchup for us with their nasty D-Line, and last night was no different. Of course we could have played better, but let's give the Rams credit as well. This was the first game this year when we didn't match the other team's intensity level.
You mean by holding them to 3 field goals as opposed to 2 touchdowns?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd rather be able to retain Earl, Sherm, and Bennett.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1bxi1un2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1bxi1un2 said:
bigdaddydave":1bxi1un2 said:

You mean by holding them to 3 field goals as opposed to 2 touchdowns?

We were nowhere near the intensity level of the Rams last night. They came out fired up and kicked our ass all over the field on both sides of the ball, and the stats prove me right.

If Bradford plays, we lose by double digits.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1o7000it said:
We were nowhere near the intensity level of the Rams last night. They came out fired up and kicked our ass all over the field on both sides of the ball, and the stats prove me right.

If Bradford plays, we lose by double digits.
Did their run game gash us numerous times throughout the night? Yes. Did their bookends rape our backup offensive tackles? Yes. Your right, that's pretty intense. I'm pretty sure though I saw the L.O.B flying around smacking everything in a dark colored jersey. The defense gave up a few chunks of yardage in pass coverage. They started to bend during the Rams final drive, but they did not break. Was it compete game by us? No. Far from it. But to say "They came out fired up and kicked our ass all over the field on both sides of the ball" is a bit extreme.

stack600

Reaction score
If I was P.C. Naw I don't want his job this morning, He has to call a few players to task, tale of the tape Tuesday.
It was an ugly game, and I saw and noticed a lot of mistakes on Offense, just a few points are:
1 The O-Line got Man handled, Plus I am sure you all noticed some ugly cut blocks, yea the ones were they hit the ground before the D lineman was even there. And as stated above I also saw Zach uncover Quinn and go in motion to Longs side, I did not get that one, it resulted in one of the sacks.

2 Putting the blame on Bevell for totally giving up on the run, Not all his fault, If u stack the box with 8, then u go to the pass cause as stated our WRs should be able to get off man coverage. get em to back out of the box and back to the run, just didn't work. I also think Russell held the ball to long at times and did not trust his ability for once to fit it in on tight coverage. We all know to beat the blitz = short drops and ball out fast, slants, Plays into the middle zone. It just looked like RW was pulling the ball down exspecting to get sacked a few times.

3 D-line against that run sceam St Louis was running. It was like they lost gap assignment and the whole line and backers were seal blocked from the play almost like over running the play. My hats off to E.T. this morning though, without Earl we would not have won this game. When the safety leads the team in tackles, well that explains a lot about a 14-9 score.

4 A gold star for the D, they did bend, But 3 FG and 1 Missed FG(from my fantasy kicker, I can't help it the kids got a leg) They did not break and what a stand to win the game.
So if I was P.C. this morning, I would spread the mistakes around the room. Call it an ugly win, And start putting a gameplan in for the Bucs.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2i2v2mgy said:
If i were Pete Carroll i would go read the book "NFL Offense for Dummies" and learn how to utilize running backs and TE's to help your 2nd string offensive linemen.
This
and...........
Seanhawk":2i2v2mgy said:
If I'm calling Cleveland, I'm calling for Joe Thomas not Josh Gordon.
This.

And yeah, I agree this team needs a tall deep threat. But if Russ has less than 2 seconds to throw the ball, what good would a guy like that be? Besides, if the Hawks draft a guy like that he'll be far less expensive to begin with.