I think we're selling Percy Harvin short

seedhawk

Reaction score
So, dispute me if I am wrong. Branch comes in as a prolific many catch lots of yards and TD's guy and disappears. Same with Miller. Rice. We sign all these nice offensive pieces and then just send them to purgatory due to our philosophy.

That is WHY, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse etc do well as far as we fans are concerned. We do NOT emphasize someone. We spread the ball around the entire universe offensively.

themunn

Reaction score
Whereas I think you're giving him too much credit

He wasn't a deep ball threat under one of the greatest deep ball quarterbacks of all time in Favre, what makes you think he's suddenly turned into one given he's never been one in his career?

Harvin's career highlight reel is a guy who catches balls within 5 yards of the LoS and takes them for 10 more.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
seedhawk":1xabcq38 said:
So, dispute me if I am wrong. Branch comes in as a prolific many catch lots of yards and TD's guy and disappears. Same with Miller. Rice. We sign all these nice offensive pieces and then just send them to purgatory due to our philosophy.

That is WHY, Tate, Baldwin, Kearse etc do well as far as we fans are concerned. We do NOT emphasize someone. We spread the ball around the entire universe offensively.

I have to agree somewhat. Rice. Miller. At the end of the day, we are a run first team and Miller has had to block a lot. I think that is why it makes sense for this team to spend big on a receiver like PH because he is so versatile and we can find more ways to involve him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
themunn":3is1vfwe said:
Whereas I think you're giving him too much credit

He wasn't a deep ball threat under one of the greatest deep ball quarterbacks of all time in Favre, what makes you think he's suddenly turned into one given he's never been one in his career?

Harvin's career highlight reel is a guy who catches balls within 5 yards of the LoS and takes them for 10 more.

I thought I once read a crazy ass stat-line involving Ponder and Harvin, IIRC, Ponder's avg pass to Harvin was 1 yd. That's ONE yd. Harvin averaged 10 YPC. So you're practically handing the ball to Harvin, and he's getting you 10 yds every touch.

I'm not attempting to bolster the side of either argument with that stat. because, well, it was Ponder. I think Pete will put him wide, in the slot, BF etc. I won't be shocked to see him and Wilson break the huddle, with Wilson in the BF and Harvin in shotgun. I really think he's going to be Pete's gizmo-guy, so expect the unexpected..

HawkGANG

Reaction score
seedhawk":1aj7yp4y said:

Not one of those three players you named are even close to being as dynamic as Percy is. We can get Percy the ball in ways those guys can only dream.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
If you YouTube P's highlights, you'll notice that a lot of what makes him so deadly was his relentless ferocity once he takes off. He's almost Beastmode 'lite'. I say that to say this: Coming off of an injury of this type, I hope it doesn't take a lot of time for him to get it back.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HawkGANG":351uflsn said:
seedhawk":351uflsn said:

Not one of those three players you named are even close to being as dynamic as Percy is. We can get Percy the ball in ways those guys can only dream.

Yup, and our past big time WR's are possession guys. Harvin is the master of the slot and a beast after catch.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
Long time Hawks fan here and I have gotten kind of used to thinking positive about our team, always with a guarded outlook and then quick to look for the silver lining in being mediocre when we didn't live up. Times are different in the Pete Carroll, Russell Wilson, Legion of Boom era. Pete is all about continuously improving and upgrading, finding every way to win.

With my new outlook, I am really looking forward to this game and the games ahead (for several years)... even if on the low side it is that Harvin is just enough of a distraction to the defense for Beast Mode, Tate, Kearse and the guys to do some serious damage. But, oh... On the "Up" side, if Harvin is anything close to what he has been, then we are in for a fun ride folks.

Percy...Can you say "tipping point"

Go Hawks!

jewhawk

Reaction score
themunn":14ir54ne said:

This seems to be a common perception, but it's wrong. Harvin's air yards (Yards minus YAC) per reception as a rookie in 2009 was 7.88 with good Favre, 5.76 in 2010 with bad Favre, 4.61 in 2011 with McNabb/Ponder, and 2.03 in 2012 with Ponder. His Deep% (% of targets over 15 yards) was 25.3% in 2009, 20.2% in 2010, 14.2% in 2011, and 16.5% in 2012. No one will ever have a highlight reel full of deep balls with Christian Ponder at QB, but Harvin has shown the ability to go deep with a capable QB. With Wilson, the Hawks will be able to take advantage of his versatility to make plays all over the field.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
In OTA's it's open knowledge they were inserting plays specifically to run him deep. He already proved he can be an elite deep threat that takes the top off any defense not backed up by Earl Thomas the only year he had a real quarterback (2009 when Favre was healthy). Bonus being he isn't limited to just that.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
The amount of 12s about to be dangling from Percy's sack in a couple weeks is gonna be staggering. I am very confident that there isn't going to be much ypc and yac talk and all this jibber-jabbering about his shortcomings or his attitude or anything. This franchise hasn't had a playmaker of this caliber. Ever. He's got fresh legs in November and it's about to get all sorts of raucous up in here. The only thing anyone is about to be saying is "WOW"

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mjwhitay":2mir6pwx said:
The amount of 12s about to be dangling from Percy's sack in a couple weeks is gonna be staggering. I am very confident that there isn't going to be much ypc and yac talk and all this jibber-jabbering about his shortcomings or his attitude or anything. This franchise hasn't had a playmaker of this caliber. Ever. He's got fresh legs in November and it's about to get all sorts of raucous up in here. The only thing lanyone is about to be saying is "WOW"
Correct but what makes it insane is we basically score both a top 5 quarterback and wide receiver the same age and NFL proven for minimum 5 years after this year.

plyka

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":291c95s1 said:
Listening to Doug Farrar on KJR right now confirms what I've thought for awhile. Most of the comments here, especially in the First Touch thread, seem to imply Harvin is a YAC guy only. Bubble screens, fly sweeps, etc. He's a much more complete receiver than most people are giving him credit for. Playing with Ponder really limited him the past couple seasons, and he was still an MVP candidate. He can take the top off the defense, Ponder just can't make that throw on a deep post 30 yards downfield.

He's not simply a slot receiver that only makes catches behind or near the line of scrimmage. I can't wait to see what he does for this offense. He can line up outside, in the slot, or in the backfield and he's equally versatile in each of those spots.

Selling Percy short? Most people in Seattle plus the.media is expecting Jerry Rice incarnate. Mo one is selling the man short.

plyka

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3nsnzaxj said:
mjwhitay":3nsnzaxj said:
The amount of 12s about to be dangling from Percy's sack in a couple weeks is gonna be staggering. I am very confident that there isn't going to be much ypc and yac talk and all this jibber-jabbering about his shortcomings or his attitude or anything. This franchise hasn't had a playmaker of this caliber. Ever. He's got fresh legs in November and it's about to get all sorts of raucous up in here. The only thing lanyone is about to be saying is "WOW"
Correct but what makes it insane is we basically score both a top 5 quarterback and wide receiver the same age and NFL proven for minimum 5 years after this year.

U.fortunately this is doubtful. Percy is awesome but he is the complete opposite of Wilson in the injury prone department. Wilson is like a scrap of iron as drago once said while percy is made of glass. I think Percy will be in and out of injury his entire stay here I'm just hoping he can survive through this years playoffs.

Tical21

Reaction score
Watch his highlight reel. Filled with deep balls. If he's even, he's leavin'.

There will be Lynch and Harvin, then everybody else. He is just that freakin' amazing. Worried trying to get Percy the ball will disrupt our rhythm? Nope. Nothing bad can happen getting Percy the ball. Get it to him short, get it to him deep. Out of the backfield. On screens. Slants. Russell scrambles, sees Percy with a step. Touchdown. I love me some Golden Tate, always have, but to put him anywhere near Percy's level is ridiculous. He's that freakin' amazing. Stop worrying, stop whining that an outsider is threatening the way of life of our homegrown talent, and enjoy watching one of the most freakish athletes on the planet do his thing.

BGHawk

Reaction score
I wonder how big of a influence he has already been.Tate,kearse and baldwin have just recently been tearing it up. Nobody is selling him short..just unsure maybe

BGHawk

Reaction score
I wonder how big of a influence he has already been? Tate,kearse and baldwin have just recently been tearing it up. Nobody is selling him short..just unsure maybe

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
plyka":1qlj2dn3 said:
KCHawkGirl":1qlj2dn3 said:
mjwhitay":1qlj2dn3 said:

U.fortunately this is doubtful. Percy is awesome but he is the complete opposite of Wilson in the injury prone department. Wilson is like a scrap of iron as drago once said while percy is made of glass. I think Percy will be in and out of injury his entire stay here I'm just hoping he can survive through this years playoffs.
I can't understand this view given he missed like 4 games before last year and was put on IR because of politics. He called both Frazier and Childress out and Ponder....hmm...who do you think among the four choices has a leadership job in 2015? He's actually not injury prone but to compare him with Wilson is silly given they play different positions and it seems Wilson is Peyton tough.

We have NEVER had a gamebreaker like this before Wilson and now he gets his Jerry Rice BFF? Ridiculous.