I predict JS will make a bold choice for HC

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
What's attractive about Seattle to a potential head coach?

We don't have a high draft pick. We don't have an established franchise QB. We have uncertainty in ownership. You're inheriting a GM whose track record is iffy over the past half-decade. What's attractive?

We're not as bad as dumpster fires like Carolina or LV. But honestly, if I were a coach, I'd instead go to LA (Herbert), ATL (loaded offense; #8 pick), NE (#3 pick), or even Washington (#2 pick).
Seattle's got a better roster than any of those teams, they just need a franchise QB, which might actually be enticing to a potential HC, they get to choose their guy. Seattle also has some of the most passionate fans in the league, and JS has a rep as a top GM. The ownership situation is really the only concerning thing about the job, but otherwise it absolutely is an attractive job. Those factors matter more than having a top 10 pick.

knownone

Reaction score
I think a lot of people believe John was making a lot of the personnel decisions these past 14 years and Pete’s comments at his press conference add fuel to that. A couple sources have reported this as well. Someone connected to the league said John is considered a top 5 GM by the league.

Your point about those teams being more attractive is fair. I would probably slide Seattle in after SD because of Herbert and Atlanta but I’m sure some potential coaches probably see it your way.

Seattle does have a more talented roster than some of those teams though too
The issue for me with John is that separating him from Pete is impossible. We haven't seen him do it yet, so he's still a somewhat unknown commodity. Maybe with total control, he'll be great. Maybe not. What I do know is that Seattle's recent roster philosophy hasn't been great.

Seattle's got a better roster than any of those teams, they just need a franchise QB, which might actually be enticing to a potential HC, they get to choose their guy. Seattle also has some of the most passionate fans in the league, and JS has a rep as a top GM. The ownership situation is really the only concerning thing about the job, but otherwise it absolutely is an attractive job. Those factors matter more than having a top 10 pick.
The only team I mentioned that isn't in a position to target a franchise QB in the draft is LA, and they have Herbert.

I'm not saying Seattle is not attractive in some sense. But I think some people are overvaluing our appeal to coaches. We're destined for a Dan Quinn or Raheem Morris type of hire. I'd be shocked if we have a chance at Johnson or Harbaugh.

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
The only team I mentioned that isn't in a position to target a franchise QB in the draft is LA, and they have Herbert.

I'm not saying Seattle is not attractive in some sense. But I think some people are overvaluing our appeal to coaches. We're destined for a Dan Quinn or Raheem Morris type of hire. I'd be shocked if we have a chance at Johnson or Harbaugh.
Well, it's up to JS to make one hell of a sales pitch to convince guys like them to agree to coach the team. Even if it means having to open up the checkbook and outbidding the competition. As I implied in the OP, I think JS will be emboldened to go all in & make sure he gets the guy that everyone else wants.

12forlife

Reaction score
What's attractive about Seattle to a potential head coach?

We don't have a high draft pick. We don't have an established franchise QB. We have uncertainty in ownership. You're inheriting a GM whose track record is iffy over the past half-decade. What's attractive?

We're not as bad as dumpster fires like Carolina or LV. But honestly, if I were a coach, I'd instead go to LA (Herbert), ATL (loaded offense; #8 pick), NE (#3 pick), or even Washington (#2 pick).
The only thing keeping coaches from jumping at Seattle compaird to the other openings is us not knowing Jody's intentions with the team, if she says I have no intentions of selling for 10 years then most HC's would be ok with that. As for the QB?? I think that is totally up in the air. We can do about anything granted drafting #16 isn't ideal, but we can move up, sit pat, move down, or sign Cousins 2yrs or rework Geno, and draft a guy like Pratt or Travis to groom a year or 2?
As to why are we attractive? I think we won't mess around and low ball the right guy. Our fan base is intense! Our facilities are 2nd to none. We have an established winning culture. Our roster doesn't need to be completely overhauled, with the dead weight we cut this off-season, a new HC/JS should able to implement some of his guys right away + the draft. So yes I feel this job is attractive.

Last edited:

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
So many thinking Quinn is the lock but I just don’t see making an abrupt change from Pete and then hitting someone from his coaching tree. People on here discrediting Seattle not being a great and desired landing spot that is being foolish.

HawkeyGoalie

Reaction score
Mora?? You talking MORA????? lol
What I'm trying to say with this is be careful what you wish for. We all hope the change will produce more success and another Superbowl. But with a new coach it could also get worse, like a Jim Mora kind of bad after he took over for Holmgren.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I think we get 1 of the best available coaches. JS will look to make his mark. He learned alot having Pete by his side,but now he has a chance to show it wasn't all Pete. I have a feeling he makes a splash.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I predict that it probably isn't really John's choice, given how Jody and Vulcan execs like Kolde run the Blazers.

Pete very well might've been insulating the organization from... a good bit.

My guess is that John's going to be pushed to agree with a certain direction, whatever it may be. Outside of the coach, they're probably going to want a big name at quarterback for fan interest. This feels like it'll be the start of some ownership meddling. Could just be my pessimism, but I'm starting to connect some dots I didn't want to.

renofox

Reaction score
I predict that it probably isn't really John's choice, given how Jody and Vulcan execs like Kolde run the Blazers.

Pete very well might've been insulating the organization from... a good bit.

My guess is that John's going to be pushed to agree with a certain direction, whatever it may be. Outside of the coach, they're probably going to want a big name at quarterback for fan interest. This feels like it'll be the start of some ownership meddling. Could just be my pessimism, but I'm starting to connect some dots I didn't want to.
I don't place too much credence on those articles. They're hit pieces. Probably commissioned by Knight to instigate a pressure campaign to get Jody to sell him the Blazers. Google shows a bunch of near duplicate articles that are written using Yellow tactics.

First one basically says:

PA was very involved. Up to 25 texts a day. Jody doesn't care***. Knight wanted to buy. Jody said no. Knight wanted to talk her into it. Jody said stop wasting my time***. Some guy was a jackoff and McG asked Jody for more more authority. Jody said no***. PA LOVED McG, but Jody is mean to him. McG butthurt and quit. Waaaaah, Jody Bad! says McG. Waaaaah, Jody is ruining the Blazers so the NBA should make her sell them to me! says Knight.

***note: the article never mentions Vulcan and Kolde, or that Jody has delegated Blazer management to them. She cannot hands-on manage everything in the Estate. It's too much, by far, for one person.

The second article is even better:

Knight offered Jody BILLIONS for the Blazers, but Jody is a smuggler and a sexual harasser! This happened in Africa or somewhere, and she's not involved in managing the team***, but it's making everything toxic. OK, we'll finally admit that Kolde is in charge and Jody has nothing to do with any of this, but some guy said that Jody was making a mistake not selling the team, and McG got butthurt and quit because Jody told him to talk to Kolde because she's not managing the team. Knight and a player wanted to talk with Jody and she said "For the bazillionth time, I DON'T MANAGE THE TEAM!!! TALK TO KOLDE, ALREADY!!!" Oh yeah, don't forget a bunch of her security guys said she wanted them to wear Speedos! They sued her for a billion bucks but she settled out of court because she's a crazy sexual harrasser. They also testified that she smuggled ivory and shit she brought some Giraffe bones back, and that they heard rumors but had never witnessed illegal ivory smuggling activity. String. Her. Up. She is such a threat with all her sexual crazy crap and her international smuggling activity that she should be nowhere near the Blazers. Make her sell the Blazers to Knight!

If this isn't typical Yellow Journalism then I have no idea what it is. I wonder how much Knight paid for this crap?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'll keep this short. Now that JS has complete control for the first time as Seattle's GM, I think he's gonna want to make the bold choice and go for a young up-and-coming guy as the next HC, rather than go with the "safe & conservative" pick. I think he's gonna pick someone that'll get the fan base hyped up for next season. That's why I think he'll either go with Ben Johnson or Mike Macdonald.

I'll add this, I hope it's Ben Johnson. He knows how to use TE's and a 2 RB set. Johnson can give Seattle an identity again.
JS doesn't have "complete" control. I'm sure he'll have a lot to say about who the next HC will be, but he's not the one who signs on the bottom line. There's a number of people involved in the search.

Atradees

Reaction score
I was wondering about timing. I was thinking at first we were going after Harbaugh or Deboer because the immediate release of Coach. But since there has been no news it would seem we are waiting for a playoff coach. I was hoping a change would happen at the top and it did. When coaches start to change coordinators its often beginning of the end. In the decades gone bye; I had been leery of who we are gonna hire. I hope its a good one...in the old days it seemed like coaching would tighten up the defense as it went along {Knox...Flores...Holmgren...Carrol) but what I have noticed is that this team was sort of scatter brained and leaderless. I am ready for something entirely new and not just a Re Pete of our old ways.

Last edited:

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I dont see the management team or Jody getting in the way of letting John do his job. She trust JS otherwise he would have been gone with Pete.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I predict it will be a recycled name like Quinn or Canales. But it doesn't really matter -- as long as Geno is the QB, the Hawks will never get past .500. Pete bet on the wrong horse with Geno, that's why he's out.

Sonichound16

Reaction score
The issue for me with John is that separating him from Pete is impossible. We haven't seen him do it yet, so he's still a somewhat unknown commodity. Maybe with total control, he'll be great. Maybe not. What I do know is that Seattle's recent roster philosophy hasn't been great.

Compare our offensive weapons to the ones the Lions have. We have DK, Lockett and JSN to their ASB and I guess Jameson Wiliams and Reynolds or Raymond, big advantage Hawks. Walker and Charbonett vs Gibbs and Montgomery...slight edge to Lions. Goff and Geno are basically the same player. They have a young stud TE in LaPorta but I honestly think that Parkinson could blow up in a system that utilized his talents. Still advantage Lions there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson want to take the HC role and see what he can do.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
It’s been almost 20 years since I posted here it seems. Old handle wsumatt82. Still read this board everyday though. I loved Pete but I agree it was time to move in a different direction. DQ is not a different direction so I hope it’s not him. At first my top candidates were DQ, vrabel, harbaugh. But after careful consideration it’s basically just Ben Johnson. To a lesser extent Bobby Slowik due to the coaching tree he is involved in. I’m not not ever was a big geno fan and a young offensive mind will likely want a QBOTF as his own. Geno has been serviceable but we need our guy and this is the time to do it.