I can't believe Denver tried to kick a FG

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The odds of them getting 5-10 more yards and a first down was much more probable, and would have made the kick much more likely to go through. No guarantee, of course, but either way, that was a really bad call by Denver's coaches. Almost nobody makes a 64 yard FG. I'll take it, though.

W

Welshers

The odds of them getting 5-10 more yards and a first down was much more probable, and would have made the kick much more likely to go through. No guarantee, of course, but either way, that was a really bad call by Denver's coaches. Almost nobody makes a 64 yard FG. I'll take it, though.
yep, really head scratching. They pay Wilson all that money to not play with the game on the line.

I'm pretty sure Rodger called in and told Hackett he had to kick. The script was for Denver to win all along but after the refs gave them a first down that was blatantly short im pretty sure Rodger panicked. He couldn't have it look too rigged so he called Hackett and said do something stupid to make people forget about the 4 and inches where the refs said move the chains

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If the field goal had been good, it would have been tied for the second-longest in NFL history. It would have been a yard longer than the one that held the NFL record for 43 years (1970-2013).

CHOKERuss showed that in addition to Broncos orange and blue, he's YELLOW and preferred to let his coach and kicker take the heat for a loss rather than actually taking responsibility for trying to lead his team to a win. You can be sure he'd have been ready to take the credit for the win if the kicker had made the FG, but he figured that if they lost, it would be better for his brand if he wasn't involved in the final play.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It's fun to see crappy clock management by the opposing team for a change .
Yeah, after the "experts" around here had been telling us that all the clock-management issues the Seahawks have had over the last decade were completely Carroll's fault and not at all Wilson's, it was extremely confusing to see Wilson's team getting delay-of-game penalties and managing the clock poorly.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hackett I think is going to be a good coach but he just panicked in his first NFL game as a coach. Surprised Russ didn't just call a time out and talk it over though. Such an odd ending of the game.

Msfann

Reaction score
If he was still playing for Seattle that would have been the time for one of his crazy sideline throws to get the first down and stop the clock, then had time for shots at the end zone before kicking a fg.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It was one of the worst end-game botches in recent history, and Russ appeared to be on-board with it.

It's a tone-setting blunder, and a cowardly one at that.
Pete called a time-out and they saw he missed it. They could have done anything differently but, nope they kicked a second 64-yard field goal. Then they called time-outs on the kneel downs, it was just a crazy ending to the game.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Guest on Around the Horn thought it was so bad that he thinks the team should fire him today and hire Payton…before the cowboys do.

Needless to say a rough start in Denver.

The two T.O.’s Hackett called during the kneel down should be getting way more shade than I’m seeing.
Side note Goodwin was the deep man and did a backflip after the snap three times…

JPatera76

Reaction score
I have now found myself occassionally checking the broncos forums to smile more at thier melt down.. but even more so thier questions about:
1 The Playclock getting to almost 0 OR AT 0
2 The Clock management overall
3 How long russell was taking to throw etc etc etc same stuff the last 10 yrs we've been scratching our heads about

And then I smile.. and think "wow.. it was odd not worrying about any of that last night ... welcome to our world denver! You maybe playoff bound but be ready to be one and done and shit draft spots for the next few years!"

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I was thoroughly confused by what was happening during those final seconds. I never occurred to me they were doing all that to kick it from that distance. But I guess they are used to seeing that guy kick them from that distance. So was it a bad call? From that distance a foot one way or the other is almost nothing. Had it been about a foot further to the right we would all be crying in our milk while talking about what a gutsy great call their coach made. All, that is, except for our populace of haters.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
I was thoroughly confused by what was happening during those final seconds. I never occurred to me they were doing all that to kick it from that distance. But I guess they are used to seeing that guy kick them from that distance. So was it a bad call? From that distance a foot one way or the other is almost nothing. Had it been about a foot further to the right we would all be crying in our milk while talking about what a gutsy great call their coach made. All, that is, except for our populace of haters.

McManus has enough of a leg to kick that distance, for sure. His accuracy at that distance though...something like 12%.

Head scratching decision, considering Russ is nearly 69% on that down and distance. It's like the coach got locked into a decision without considering the alternative. Rookie coach mistake. The more baffling thing to me is that Russ didn't put up any fight to go for it. He just rolled over, and jogged off the field with no emotion resigned to whatever outcome happened. Almost like he didn't want the game to come down to him having to make a play, because it would have tarnished his image of he didn't pull it off.

Latest posts