I’m callin it, Brock Purdy is him

Marvin49

Reaction score
I freakin' HATE Brock Purdy. From his smug punchable face, to his fist pumps of success. I also think he is not a good QB when his team is playing from behind (maybe his only true weakness, but it's a big one), so far at least.

I respect his talent though, and it's why I hate him, cuz he is with a division rival. Anyone denying he will be top 5 for years to come, barring injury, is probably a fool. Yeah he's for real, and it sucks!

All Fair.

RE his come from behind ability...thus far you are entirely correct...but its a bit deeper.

One of the reasons the "Game Manager" tag is SOOO incorrect is that he isn't risk averse. More accurately, he too often tries to make something out of nothing...and often it works.

The number of times he's thrown across his body back into the middle of the field is staggering. Most of the time, its a big play and it works.

What I've seen late in some games when he presses is that its THOSE plays that haunt him. Against the Vikings he threw one INT where the WR wasn't where he was supposed to be, but even in that case it was a VERY tight window. The other one that ended the game was a desperation, 30 seconds left throw (and I tend not to like the "he was concussed" excuse) was a play he was trying to throw across his body on the run. It burnt him when he didn't see the safety.

Against the Bengals one of his throws was a flat out bad read but the other was a freak thing where he was trying to make something happen and should have just thrown the ball away.

My point here is that he's still incredibly YOUNG. He learns from those plays. He made a few of those vs the Ravens as well.

If he learns those lessons...

...watch out.

94Smith

Reaction score
I also think he is not a good QB when his team is playing from behind (maybe his only true weakness, but it's a big one), so far at least.
I think that is a Kyle Shanahan thing. Purdy's success is no doubt tied to the Shanahan scheme and I don't think it would be reproducible elsewhere. Shanahan teams have trouble coming from behind. Also the 49ers O line is not good enough to pass block to allow deep running patterns and pure pass blocking without a mix of run and pass