Hypothetical: Metcalf at DE?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
6' 4" 230 4.33 speed long arms, try as an edge rusher?

pehawk

Reaction score
Best post and idea in a long, long time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't see Metcalf as a defensive starter.

DT: Germaine Ifedi
DT: DJ Fluker
DE: Jordan Simmons
DE: George Fant
LCB: David Moore
RCB: CJ Prosise
NCB: Tyler Lockett
SAM: Nick Vannett
MIKE: Russell Wilson
WILL: Gary Jennings
FS: Travis Homer
SS: Chris Carson

pehawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":n3nwhae3 said:
I don't see Metcalf as a defensive starter.

DT: Germaine Ifedi
DT: DJ Fluker
DE: Jordan Simmons
DE: George Fant
LCB: David Moore
RCB: CJ Prosise
NCB: Tyler Lockett
SAM: Nick Vannett
MIKE: Russell Wilson
WILL: Gary Jennings
FS: Travis Homer
SS: Chris Carson

Practice squad then? Risky...a DL hungry team, like the Rams, will certainly poach him. Only way this works is if we hide him in preseason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Metcalf would have the work rate and quickness to be a good edge rusher, but he'd have to put on 30-40 lbs.

230 is way too light to be an effective edge rusher at that height, he'd lose every leverage battle without the weight.

Seymour

Reaction score
With Baldwin now gone, why does anyone believe that WR is not just as important or possibly even more important than an experimental edge rusher?

pehawk

Reaction score
Seymour":h5d7aao9 said:
With Baldwin now gone, why does anyone believe that WR is not just as important or possibly even more important than an experimental edge rusher?

Because the Seahawks won their lone championship on riding their defense. Defense wins championships.

Man, I had forgotten of football iilliterate some people are on here. This is a no-brainer.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":2gnbvtr4 said:
Seymour":2gnbvtr4 said:

Because the Seahawks won their lone championship on riding their defense. Defense wins championships.

Man, I had forgotten of football iilliterate some people are on here. This is a no-brainer.

Yeah doesn't even matter that Metcalf has zero experience as a DE, that it'd take him years to learn the position and it's a net loss because now he's not helping Russell and the offense at a position he's already good at and has the potential to be great at.

This is a hypothetical for a reason, cause it's a ridiculous idea that has zero merit of ever happening.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nrrk314 said:
pehawk":1nrrk314 said:
Seymour":1nrrk314 said:

Yeah doesn't even matter that Metcalf has zero experience as a DE, that it'd take him years to learn the position and it's a net loss because now he's not helping Russell and the offense at a position he's already good at and has the potential to be great at.

This is a hypothetical for a reason, cause it's a ridiculous idea that has zero merit of ever happening.

Lol...like one of the greatest defensive minds ever couldn't coach him up. It'd take Pete a week, tops.

Man alive, does anyone here even watch football?

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
We could try Russell Wilson at Mike next. Maybe put Tyler Lockett at the 3 technique.

I mean, the biggest knock of Metcalf was his turning ability on the 3 cone drill - probably one if not the most important measuring stick for a DE who has to Turn, dip and accelerate every play.

pehawk

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":db1szn66 said:
We could try Russell Wilson at Mike next. Maybe put Tyler Lockett at the 3 technique.

I mean, the biggest knock of Metcalf was his turning ability on the 3 cone drill - probably one if not the most important measuring stick for a DE who has to Turn, dip and accelerate every play.

Again, HOF defensive coach teaching him agility. It won't be an issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":3f9mvq94 said:
Sgt. Largent":3f9mvq94 said:
pehawk":3f9mvq94 said:
Seymour":3f9mvq94 said:

Lol...like one of the greatest defensive minds ever couldn't coach him up. It'd take Pete a week, tops.

Sometimes you should at least try to disguise your trolling.

These are the kinds of threads that other fans see and think we're idiots. So we got that going for us. "Hey everybody, DK's really tall and fast, let's put him at DE!"

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":k5up93a2 said:
pehawk":k5up93a2 said:
Sgt. Largent":k5up93a2 said:
pehawk":k5up93a2 said:

Sometimes you should at least try to disguise your trolling.

These are the kinds of threads that other fans see and think we're idiots. So we got that going for us. "Hey everybody, DK's really tall and fast, let's put him at DE!"

Answering your serious post isn't trolling, sir.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Metcalf would try to bend around the edge and end up in the stands.

Bad idea.