How many do we drop before fair weather fans start bailing?

How many do we drop before fair weather fans start bailing?

Votes: 22 44.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 8 16.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xayz1i8 said:
You know your team is damn successful when 9-7, along with 2 or 3 games lost by Wide Right Walsh felt like a horrible season.

I dont even think it was the record that bothered people. It was more how they played. They werent fun to watch. It was an ugly, stagnant brand of football. 3 quarters of nothing and play wide open in the 4th in hopes of maybe winning the game. No running game what so ever. Just uninspiring. 9-7 actually looked better than the team really was. They played much worse than that.

mrt144

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1vg8t67l said:
SoulfishHawk":1vg8t67l said:
You know your team is damn successful when 9-7, along with 2 or 3 games lost by Wide Right Walsh felt like a horrible season.

I dont even think it was the record that bothered people. It was more how they played. They werent fun to watch. It was an ugly, stagnant brand of football. 3 quarters of nothing and play wide open in the 4th in hopes of maybe winning the game. No running game what so ever. Just uninspiring. 9-7 actually looked better than the team really was. They played much worse than that.

This is exactly it. I can enjoy a hard fought game where the teams are trading blows, fighting for every inch of grass and the final score resembles a baseball game.

But that 2017 season took all the bad of 2016 and aped it in worse fashion in some cases. It wasnt an entertaining dog fight, it was incompetence, often unforced, over and over and over in a way that was too familiar

I did enjoy that tie though because it got comical in how niether the cards nor Hawks could seemingly deliver the final blow like the trailer fight in Raising Arizona.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
They just have to drop 1. Russell Wilson. If the braintrust, in a concussed state, decides to drop him, trade him, whatever,, the fairweather fans will follow the winner to the team that he lands with. It happened in Buffalo when the fans cheered for Flutie and the Chargers to beat the Bills at his first return to Orchard Park.
It would take decades for the team to recover.
But that's not going to happen. So no amount if losses .

D

DomeHawk

Another thread stating the obvious. There will always be "fair weather" fans. So what? People will always jump on the bandwagon of a winner, sometimes they are rank opportunists and sometimes they are just casual football fans that want to join in on the fun. I am a football fanatic but I certainly don't expect everyone to be.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The ones I hate are the fair-weather fans on the verge of leaving but who are only sticking around to say "I told you so" over their dire pre-season predictions, because while they don't want to be fans of a losing team, this is the internet and they Have To Be Proven Right even if only by chance.

Those of us who have been around since inception or damn near have had to get creative to find silver linings. You're 8-8 and Dennis Erickson is your coach with Randy Mueller as GM - it takes actual effort to get up for a season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Some folks are just front runners and are only fans when the team is winning. Whatever floats your boat.

Frankly could care less.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plus, there are a lot of good hardcore fans on that waiting list to get tickets. They may just get their chance next year. Shoot, my first year of season tickets, they were coming off a 2-14 season. Talk about painful to watch.

RCATES

Reaction score
I think reality set in late last year for most fans that this team is headed for a drought. Getting crushed by Rams at Home and following it up a few weeks later getting beat at home again by Arizona with a 3rd string QB and 4 back-up O-Lineman was very telling. I don't see a new coaching staff re-igniting the fan base quite yet. Starting off 4-0 would get things moving back in the right direction.

Rat

Reaction score
I enjoyed rooting for this team a lot more when they sucked.

That probably says something about me, but it's true. All those years of "maybe this is finally the year", and then that year actually happened, and now it's like "now what?".

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1z2ffbuc said:
Here's the first 5 games:
@DEN
@CHI
Cowboys
@ARI
Rams

What do you think? IMO, The bandwagon is still rolling after 5 weeks...

The only good team on there is the Rams, so I can see a possible 3-2, but 2-3 might be more likely.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We don't have that many fair weather fans.

Seattle has always supported its football team (or almost always) even when they sucked.

Sure they had bumperstickers that said stuff like 'Seahawks Fever. Catch It - Our Receivers Can't' but they watched the games and went to them.

Maybe in the Ken Berhring (or however you spell his name, I won't look it up but I remember that awful coach was Flores) days people just start leaving the team but it was more he was a complete jerk than it was the team driving people away. I went to games during 2 win seasons.

I also sat in a fairly packed stadium in a driving rainstorm (Husky Stadium while CLink was being built) watching us get destroyed by the Raiders. There were plenty of people enduring a rainstorm and a beatdown still wearing their Hawks gear.

Last year was garbage football. Not wanting to watch that, 9-7 or no, is not calling yourself a bandwagon fan. It is just not wanting to watch garbage football.

Maybe guys around the country that were not from Seattle and had no connection to Seattle abandoned the team, but that was because the reason people loved this team was the amazing defense and the relentless physical way they played the game (along with the 49ers when they were good). I can understand why those people left, they supported the team because they way they played the game was easy to love. But they don't play that way anymore so obviously those supporters left a while ago.

But Seattle, and the NW, supports its football teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1cots6xp said:

Seattle has always supported its football team (or almost always) even when they sucked.

Sure they had bumperstickers that said stuff like 'Seahawks Fever. Catch It - Our Receivers Can't' but they watched the games and went to them.

Maybe in the Ken Berhring (or however you spell his name, I won't look it up but I remember that awful coach was Flores) days people just start leaving the team but it was more he was a complete jerk than it was the team driving people away. I went to games during 2 win seasons.

I sat in a fairly packed stadium in a driving rainstorm (Husky Stadium while CLink was being built) watching us get destroyed by the Raiders. There were plenty of people enduring a rainstorm and a beatdown still wearing their Hawks gear.

Last year was garbage football. Not wanting to watch that, 9-7 or no, is not calling yourself a bandwagon fan. It is just not wanting to watch garbage football.

Maybe guys around the country that were not from Seattle and had no connection to Seattle abandoned the team, but that was because the reason people loved this team was the amazing defense and the relentless physical way they played the game (along with the 49ers when they were good). I can understand why those people left, they supported the team because they way they played the game was easy to love. But they don't play that way anymore so obviously those supporters left a while ago.

While I agree, the NW is a great sports area....................I'd say we still have our fair share of bandwagon of fair weather fans that you don't hear or see from until the teams are good.

Our wives decided it'd be fun to have Hawk parties during our SB runs, going crazy with the food and texting back and forth with outfits, who's hosting, cooking, etc.

Haven't really heard from those ladies in quite a few seasons. They magically disappeared.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yes, but we always had a solid base of fans that supported this team because they loved football and grew up cheering for the Hawks.

That 12 thing started back in the Kingdome when we sucked.

The bandwagon thing is way oversold. Sometimes the football support shifts from the Hawks to the Hawks depending on who is winning more but the NW has a love of football that I would put up against any location.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2xcetsj1 said:
The bandwagon thing is way oversold. Sometimes the football support shifts from the Hawks to the Hawks depending on who is winning more but the NW has a love of football that I would put up against any location.

I've always said the term "bandwagon" is the lamest of all sports fan insults.

I don't care what sport, what team and what city you're talking about...........if the team's good you're going to have fans jumping on board to be a part of the excitement and winning.

That's just how it is, people like to be a part of the group, that's just human nature.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28o1ehy7 said:
TwistedHusky":28o1ehy7 said:

I've always said the term "bandwagon" is the lamest of all sports fan insults.

I don't care what sport, what team and what city you're talking about...........if the team's good you're going to have fans jumping on board to be a part of the excitement and winning.

That's just how it is, people like to be a part of the group, that's just human nature.

Sports are also entertainment.

If the team you're following isn't entertaining, then why invest the money to go watch them.. like with any other aspect of the entertainment industry.

Meanwhile, "hardcore" fans should realize they find entertainment value in more than just the win/losses and that's why they are still invested in the team, even when it sucks.

not hard, and certainly not a stick to beat other fans with.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2vkfe0pm said:
If the team you're following isn't entertaining, then why invest the money to go watch them.

Believe me, I've asked myself this MANY times..............."wtf am I doing wasting my time watching this garbage..........who the hell is Stan Gelbaugh and why is he our QB!! WHY GOD WHY!!!??"

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hit9pi8 said:
TwistedHusky":2hit9pi8 said:

I sat in a fairly packed stadium in a driving rainstorm (Husky Stadium while CLink was being built) watching us get destroyed by the Raiders. There were plenty of people enduring a rainstorm and a beatdown still wearing their Hawks gear.

While I agree, the NW is a great sports area....................I'd say we still have our fair share of bandwagon of fair weather fans that you don't hear or see from until the teams are good.

Our wives decided it'd be fun to have Hawk parties during our SB runs, going crazy with the food and texting back and forth with outfits, who's hosting, cooking, etc.

Haven't really heard from those ladies in quite a few seasons. They magically disappeared.

Which sucks because who doesn't like a good party with great food among people you enjoy partying with? Look how Buffalo fans enjoy games - pile driving one another onto collapsible tables. As much as we can resent folks for not carrying that atmosphere through thick and thin perhaps sometimes we don't do our best in keeping that vibe going by resigning to 'that's just how it is' and not borderline forcing folks to come over and bring a couple of racks of beer and being pleasant during the worst of it.

Lord knows my wife has given me shit for being a sullen child during some of the games last year and 2016. Who wants to be around that?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I fear we take on more bandwagon fans as we steamroll thru our first 5

chris98251

Reaction score
The generational shift has a lot to do with it, their interest wasn't sports and street ball as kids it was vids and hooked on phonics etc as day cares took over. Post boomers have a lot of other interests, Football, Baseball and Basketball are not something you hear kids talk about all the time anymore either. It's what new Video game is coming out and their Twitter, Tweets, Facebook pages.

It's a shift, things are going to be different.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I find a thread like this funny. Fair weather fans bring money to the organization for stadium improvements, ability to spend money on coaches, analysts,doctors etc. You WANT fair weather fans.

I understand the tribe mentality, and I don't even partake in my buddies fantasy leagues because I've seen what it does to them watching out of market games and switching channels to check out the stats and score of their fantasy players. I am a fan, win or lose, and have been since...really ever. third generation. Sure, have been times where I don't rearrange plans to watch a 3-13 team, but I liken that to putting them in time out until they get their shizz together.

I guess my point is shouldn't a real fan want what is best for the team to succeed? That takes money, and fair weather fa bring in that extra dough. We should welcome them, not shun them. Obviously just my opion though.