How do we fix the run defense?

firebee

Reaction score
Well... We could stop using Stunts and twists on downs that are probable run downs. Many gap assignments get blown because a player loops to the wrong gap and gets cut off or washed out of the play. I like using stunts and twists as much as anybody to put pressure on the backfield, but they're a liability against the run. We could also use 5 man lines more on probable running downs. I think Clemons at RDE, McDonald at RDT, Mebane at NT, Bryant at LDT and Bennett at LDE with Wagner, Wright and our secondary is the optimal personnel for a run stopping unit if everybody is healthy.

Our offense has to sustain drives and work TOP. I hate the homerun-checkdown design of the passing plays. We don't use hardly any well designed quick passing plays or well designed screen plays. It's all downfield, downfield, downfield. I understand Bevell's philosophy with Wilson. Run, suck the defense up and then take a shot downfield with the pass because Wilson can run and buy time for his receivers to get open downfield. Problem is... Our line isn't giving Wilson enough time for the defense to stretch and give him running lanes or enough time for the receivers to create separation and get open. You can't keep calling plays that require a poor pass blocking line to give a QB and Receivers enough time to create separation downfield or stretch the defense out, so running lanes are created. We need more quick pass plays... Screens, stacked or bunched receivers with pick routes that get a receiver open almost immediately off the line of scrimmage. The running game is doing exceptionally well given the circumstances, but our passing game has to adjust to the time the line can give the QB and receivers to make a play.

On a subject not related to run defense... I'd also like to see us move Sherman around some and blitz him a little more early in games. Move him to nickel on occassion early in the game, maybe even flip Sherman to Safety and let Kam play up if a team goes tight or bunch, so Sherman can "Polumalu" it. Move Sherman around, confuse the QBs about where he's going to be and they'll throw his direction in the 2nd half when he plants at LCB.

Tical21

Reaction score
firebee":2c5qsgch said:
Well... We could stop using Stunts and twists on downs that are probable run downs. Many gap assignments get blown because a player loops to the wrong gap and gets cut off or washed out of the play. I like using stunts and twists as much as anybody to put pressure on the backfield, but they're a liability against the run. We could also use 5 man lines more on probable running downs. I think Clemons at RDE, McDonald at RDT, Mebane at NT, Bryant at LDT and Bennett at LDE with Wagner, Wright and our secondary is the optimal personnel for a run stopping unit if everybody is healthy.

Our offense has to sustain drives and work TOP. I hate the homerun-checkdown design of the passing plays. We don't use hardly any well designed quick passing plays or well designed screen plays. It's all downfield, downfield, downfield. I understand Bevell's philosophy with Wilson. Run, suck the defense up and then take a shot downfield with the pass because Wilson can run and buy time for his receivers to get open downfield. Problem is... Our line isn't giving Wilson enough time for the defense to stretch and give him running lanes or enough time for the receivers to create separation and get open. You can't keep calling plays that require a poor pass blocking line to give a QB and Receivers enough time to create separation downfield or stretch the defense out, so running lanes are created. We need more quick pass plays... Screens, stacked or bunched receivers with pick routes that get a receiver open almost immediately off the line of scrimmage. The running game is doing exceptionally well given the circumstances, but our passing game has to adjust to the time the line can give the QB and receivers to make a play.

On a subject not related to run defense... I'd also like to see us move Sherman around some and blitz him a little more early in games. Move him to nickel on occassion early in the game, maybe even flip Sherman to Safety and let Kam play up if a team goes tight or bunch, so Sherman can "Polumalu" it. Move Sherman around, confuse the QBs about where he's going to be and they'll throw his direction in the 2nd half when he plants at LCB.
Lord, give me the strength to play nice.

themunn

Reaction score
Our offense was completely inept against the Rams and left the defense on the field for far far far too long. That probably carried through to the Bucs game to an extent too.

However, Zac Stacy is also a talent - indeed he had his best game against us, but he's averaging 4.6 yards a carry (to the top end of the league) at the moment over his last 5 games, which include against Houston, Carolina, Tennessee and us - the top 3 defenses and the 11th best.

slipwax

Reaction score
Gap assignment, tackle the dude. 'Nough said. Quit trying to lay the wood or strip the ball. Just tackle. But what do I know....

Atradees

Reaction score
We made a second half adjustment that won the game vs Tampa.

The Rams didnt get a TD.

Whats to fix? Weve made some changes and we are still winning. I think Red and Mebane are a little overvalued myself-our DTs arent getting tackles or sacks. On top
of that we are using multiple DE's alot this year to generate pressure on the qb. Irvin is new to the LB position so they are hoping he comes around which comes with
experience only.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Too many guys trying to make a highlight reel play. Buying into the hype machine a little? Maybe they've been humbled after that Tampa Bay debacle.

Get back to fundamentals and start taking guys to the ground on first contact...not the second, third, or fourth attempts. Easier said than done I suppose.

themunn

Reaction score
Tical21":2iv60slh said:
Interesting thought, Wagner coming back also coincided with Smith going out of the lineup. To be honest, that is really reaching at straws, and I don't think any of the personnel is the problem, but it may be worth looking at if the trend continues. To be brutally honest, I think we didn't come to the stadium all jacked up to stop Mike James and Zac Stacy. We're a team of young guys. It is logical to think they get up for the bigger teams/names.

The second thought I have is, who cares? We need to stop the pass. Running teams don't score big points. Adrian Peterson, one of the best in yards per game in NFL history, has rarely had a winning record. Who cares if you can't stop the run? Good teams don't run anyways. As long as our front seven plays well against the pass, which is why Irvin, Wagner, Avril, etc. are here, I don't see a major problem.

Yeah, nobody good in this league runs well except maybe the Chiefs, the Seahawks, the Packers and the 49ers.

AKA: 4 of the best 6 teams in the league, and one of which we'll almost certainly need to beat twice en route to the Superbowl

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am guessing that if our offense could score more than 7 points in the first half, the teams we play would be less patient running. Just a guess.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":1pybncao said:
Bleacher Report Touched on it with nice analysis and photos:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1838 ... nd-the-run
Excellent article. Rare find on BR.

Mebane and Bryant are wearing out as the season progresses. This is being exacerbated by the oline issues, which are causing so many three and outs. Everyone else on that D is getting fatigued and making mistakes, especially trying to help out Mebane and Bryant.

Pete is doing the right thing by giving Smith more opportunities. He's got fresher legs and it will help spell the others. This defense needs more rest and the bye will certainly help. It would help a great deal of the offense could rack up some points and put up a lot of TOP for a couple games.

AgentDib

Reaction score
kidhawk":gb22tjy3 said:
2) The other thing, I think this defense is so focused on getting the ball, that sometimes they spend too much effort in trying to jar it loose and no enough time in just wrapping them up for the tackle and keeping them to a short gain.
FWIW, this appeared to be Carroll's initial thought on Sunday night. He addresses it in his later presser though after watching the tape and says it wasn't actually an issue.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I think Howie Long mentioned the constant rotation of guys going in and out is hurting the continuity of the D line?

Largent80

Reaction score
Quit being pussies and getting pushed around. Seriously, TB's O-line simply overpowered them. You could say the same for the Rams.

Wake UP....Pussies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
m0ng0":7nb867b5 said:
I think Howie Long mentioned the constant rotation of guys going in and out is hurting the continuity of the D line?

It didn't hurt them the first seven games of the season.

I think it's a combo of;

1. Our front seven not winning enough one on one battles
2. Getting out of position/trying to do too much
3. Other team's coaches finding cracks in our defensive schemes

The NFL is an adjustment league. You see what a team's doing, and you try to adjust to it in order to expose them. Now it's up to Pete and Quinn to adjust what we're doing to stop it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Largent80":2fzflscy said:
Quit being pussies and getting pushed around. Seriously, TB's O-line simply overpowered them. You could say the same for the Rams.

Wake UP....Pussies.
Perhaps Philbin can get incognito to toughen up our soft defense?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Largent80":345w75oy said:

Wake UP....Pussies.

Okay, Jerry Brewer.